Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-09, 07:56 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question How would you fish this area?

How would you fish this area?

I don't know how deep the water is but I will find out next time I'm on the water. I think it is less than 15' deep.

Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 07:59 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I was watching a bass pro DVD and they where talking about fishing timber, here's what I gathered!

Where the tree exits the water, pitch a jig there, once it hits the water, start striping line off the reel so the jig falls vertically, 95% of the time the bass will hit then. Once it hits bottom, jiggle it, than reel it on up! If the jig hits bottom before it should, set the hook, if the line jumps, set the hook, if the jig is taking to long to hit bottom, set the hook, is the line goes really slack set the hook, if the.... you get the picture! Make sure you try different weights, the bass may want a slow or fast fall. Please note that this also will work with your favorite, worm, creature, etc.
Old 09-14-09, 10:25 PM   #3
cassidyta

Deep cranks for me. Make them ricochett off the trees
Old 09-14-09, 11:12 PM   #4
DonaldBreland

Crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs and rat-l-traps
Old 09-14-09, 11:15 PM   #5
Badfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I was watching a bass pro DVD and they where talking about fishing timber, here's what I gathered!

Where the tree exits the water, pitch a jig there, once it hits the water, start striping line off the reel so the jig falls vertically, 95% of the time the bass will hit then. Once it hits bottom, jiggle it, than reel it on up! If the jig hits bottom before it should, set the hook, if the line jumps, set the hook, if the jig is taking to long to hit bottom, set the hook, is the line goes really slack set the hook, if the.... you get the picture! Make sure you try different weights, the bass may want a slow or fast fall. Please note that this also will work with your favorite, worm, creature, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBreland View Post
Crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs and rat-l-traps

I agree with both of these post...
Badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 09:32 AM   #6
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think I would start with spinnerbait/crankbait to cover a lot of water and find the fish. Once I figured out a pattern, I would switch to jigs and t-rig creature baits. Since it all looks the same, the key for me would be to find if the fish are holding close to the timber, suspended a few feet off, actively roaming the areas for food, etc.
rodnreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 09:51 AM   #7
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Try a square bill or coffin bill crankbait.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 10:57 AM   #8
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Around timber I have had my best luck with soft jerkbaits (flukes mostly) set up on a light carolina rig...I know it sounds strange, but it puts the bait lower in the water and with a longer leader makes it easier to maneuver around objects...you can hop the weight side to side and the fluke will follow...works great!
Old 09-15-09, 12:59 PM   #9
woody

I would definitely start with cranking, tight to the wood.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 03:30 PM   #10
DaveW731

First a suspending or slow rising crankbait. Run it hard into the wood, let it suspend/rise for a second, twitch it like it was stunned, then jerk it away. Really cool if you can bump a couple trees on the same retrieve. Second, have a jig or heavy worm/senko pre-rigged, to throw at "follows" or short strikers, or to use if the fish just don't respond to the crankbaits. Bump the wood with them, as well.
I would also be looking over the area to see if there is anything different about any particular part, such as a current, drop off, weed edge, etc. within the timber that may concentrate fish. If so, I would start there.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 06:18 PM   #11
DonaldBreland

another good thing to do is slow roll a really big spinner bait through there.
Old 09-15-09, 07:25 PM   #12
66KingFisher

Most of the water I fish looks just about like that.....I use cranks, spinnerbaits, jigs, and plastics most of the time....sometimes you need to fish really tight to the stumps cause it seems the bass won't move but a few inches to catch it....other times all ya gotta do is get within a few feet of the stump and they blast it....try burning cranks and spinnerbaits thru the area, and then switch to flippin a tube or jig and craw right next to the timber and work it really slow....usually one way or the other will produce for me.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 07:47 PM   #13
JB

we have the same type areas on the lake and at times they hold fish. On clear days you can see the bottom and its cris crossed with fallen timbers.
However I always seem to hang my jig up on these logs. Crankbaits and jerkbaits are my fav. in these areas. Most of the time I rely on the graph to show fish. We are in 23 feet of water and if you go into about fifteen feet you'll see more fish, sometimes if you're lucky they will suspend to eight and willing to bite. I then look for baitfish clusters on the graph and target that surrounding area to start throwing flukes, spinners, cranks, and plastic on followup missed strikes by top water. Its like everyone has commented, each day is dif, on day they hug the wood, others the are several feet way. Dont forget to throw at the standing timber behind you on occasion when you are working the bank.
First time woody and me fished the standing timber it was one heck of a windy day. Ya learn to zig zag around the trees but its always that huge limb that runs just under the surface ya tend to get hung up on.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 09:38 PM   #14
bamabassman

looks a LOT like calling panther in mississippi.lol. if i could f&g, i would fish it OFTEN.HAHAHA. i tend to agree with everyone else here as to what with.
Old 09-15-09, 11:09 PM   #15
CMorg

I would use a baitcaster.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 11:13 PM   #16
Fishnngolfn

What do you guys think about topwater around the trees early in the morning - buzzbaits or snakes?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 11:34 PM   #17
CulpritsOnly

Greetings from an old poster that hasn't been here for years. See a lot of new names i don't remember and remember a lot of names I don't see. Best wishes to all. On this topic, I'd shoot over to that shoreline. Looks like shade from tree branches in the water and probable grass growth in the shallows. I'm thinking bait will be there at the time of year that hosts that lush foliage on the shore. Just a thought from an old soc sec recipient. Does that miserable old bugger from Arkansas still post here???
CulpritsOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 10:38 AM   #18
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CulpritsOnly View Post
Greetings from an old poster that hasn't been here for years. See a lot of new names i don't remember and remember a lot of names I don't see. Best wishes to all. On this topic, I'd shoot over to that shoreline. Looks like shade from tree branches in the water and probable grass growth in the shallows. I'm thinking bait will be there at the time of year that hosts that lush foliage on the shore. Just a thought from an old soc sec recipient. Does that miserable old bugger from Arkansas still post here???
Culprits, you dog..Welcome back..
I was just ready to post that I would not fish the trees(not my strongpoint).I'd look for something else,but I'm just lazy.Many of the old crew are still around.We lost scott(lizardsrule)somewhere along the line.Zook is here,he can tell you his story.Haaaa.we both joined in jul 03.
Old 09-16-09, 09:07 PM   #19
Captmikestarrett

I would slide the boat right in and flip a light jig around each tree.

No casting for me.

Capt Mike
Old 09-16-09, 11:46 PM   #20
TnTom

i'd guess the water is less than 3-4'.
Throw a hula popper AT the tree. The sound (just a soft thump) attracts their attention and they hit it the instant it hits the water. I have had a great time on early rainy mornings doing just that.
Ive done the same thing with a flippin rig with 1/2ozl jig and trailer. I like knocking the wood.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 05:27 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
i'd guess the water is less than 3-4'.
Throw a hula popper AT the tree. The sound (just a soft thump) attracts their attention and they hit it the instant it hits the water. I have had a great time on early rainy mornings doing just that.
Ive done the same thing with a flippin rig with 1/2ozl jig and trailer. I like knocking the wood.
That sounds like a good idea to get there attention.

If you want to be safe, throw a t-rig or spinnerbait in there and hit as many trees as you can. a jig would be a great option too. if you don't mind maybe loosing a bait or two, I'd throw a brandbait. if the water is 5' or less, try a rapala DT Fat, it deflects off cover great. If the water is deeper, I think any square or coffin billed crank would work. Also trya bandit 100 or 200 depending on the depth.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.