Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-06, 07:21 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default The drop shot......

Most articles that I see about fishing a drop shot discuss how to fish it, but not the equipment used. By this I mean, size of the weight, spinning equipment vs. baitcast equipment, rod size and action, ratios of reels or does this all this mean nothing. What is the thoughts of the group?
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 08:27 PM   #2
youngbassman77
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey everettvet.... Well, I'm new to the drop shot rig too... But from what I know, I always use spinning reel with 8 lb test line... the weight depends on the current of the water too..the stronger the current, the heavier the weight, but i usually use 1/4 oz... as far as gear ratios are concerned, I dont know much about that...hope this helps...

~YBM
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 08:40 PM   #3
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you can fish it in a bunch of different ways.i know guys who fish it on light spinning tackle and guys who fish it on 50 lb power pro with a 7 inch power worm and a 1/2 oz jig on the bottom for a weight.i'm one of the power pro guys and not the fairy wand guys.both ways work in different situations.try both.
Old 02-13-06, 08:46 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
you can fish it in a bunch of different ways.i know guys who fish it on light spinning tackle and guys who fish it on 50 lb power pro with a 7 inch power worm and a 1/2 oz jig on the bottom for a weight.i'm one of the power pro guys and not the fairy wand guys.both ways work in different situations.try both.
BINGO, we have a winner

Lizards
Old 02-13-06, 08:50 PM   #5
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

I'm putting this one in my bag-o-tricks this year too.I'm using a 7'medium Bionic Blade paired with a Shimano Sedona reel.On this I have 8lb silver thread,gammy DS hooks and 1/8 to 3/16 oz weights.Baits I'm using are 4in finesse and cuttail worms,and the smaller flukes.Still working on it but am developing more and more confidence in it.
Old 02-13-06, 09:57 PM   #6
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey man.....this is what I use for my dropshots....6 foot 6 medium spinning rod with 6lb line or a 7 foot caster with 10lb line.... use a owner offset 1/0 downshot hook for fishing cover and brush, a gamakatsu 1/0 dropshot circle hook for open rocky waters... fish it on 1/8th oz to a 1/4th oz weight.. as fa as worms my favorites are ROBO worms, Zoom meatheads...
Old 03-19-06, 11:56 PM   #7
Bender

Just picked up a 7'4" BPS Extreme drop shot rod today. I am going to pair that with my Calcutta 50. I have not decided if I should go with Floro all the way or PowerPro with a floro leader.
This technique has just been legalized here in Michigan (people used to use this rig for snagging trout) for the first time and it really seems ideal for my situation around here where there is a lot of pressure and the fish move slowly.
I am putting a lot of hope into this being a great way to fish this year, I had a lot of trouble on the lakes around here last year. With my confidence and patience I sure hope it works.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-06, 12:22 AM   #8
LoneStarAngler07

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

i think its personal preference...
Old 03-20-06, 10:34 AM   #9
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

I've won a lot of money on a drop shot and I fish it on a 7' foot light action G.Loomis GL2 rod. I use 6-8 pound Gamma Edge Fluorocarbon line because it's so strong and beats out other companies 20 pound fluorocarbon. I also use the standout hooks because they hold your bait straight out from the line and not dangling down.
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:46 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Anyone have some good reading maaterial on the dropshot rig. I really havent tried or used it much and could use some of the finer points.
Old 03-23-06, 07:50 AM   #11
JB

http://fishing.about.com/library/weekly/aa070901a.htm

laser ,
I was amazed that the very first day I tied on a drop shot I got bit!
I guess my pets had never seen it before huh rofl
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 09:51 AM   #12
Bender

The guy at BPS suggested some of these so I picked up a few bags of them.
Also HERE is another article about them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 01:39 PM   #13
skeeter944

here is another article

http://www.catcherman.com/features/r...512sportmn.htm
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 02:09 PM   #14
CreekGeek22

I've never used the rig myself but have seen articles where guys will use a PNJ as the bottom weight given themselves an extra lure in the water. I guess it depends on what kind of bottom structure you're fishing as to what you use because of possible snags. Others still are using the drop-shot for bed fishing, putting the bait right in front of their nose over the bed.
CreekGeek22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 07:54 PM   #15
bass kicker

alot of people that fish the drop shot here suggest you have a rod were there is an exposed part of the blank on the handle
Old 03-23-06, 11:21 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekGeek22
I've never used the rig myself but have seen articles where guys will use a PNJ as the bottom weight given themselves an extra lure in the water. I guess it depends on what kind of bottom structure you're fishing as to what you use because of possible snags. Others still are using the drop-shot for bed fishing, putting the bait right in front of their nose over the bed.
I like both of these techniques, and have caught fish on both the Jig, and a Fluke. Those are the baits I use in this setup. Love Dropshotting beds, keeps your bait on the bed, and moving all the time.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.