Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-10, 10:51 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Pellet guns/Air Rifles?

OK, I really wanna get into Hunting. If bot big game like deer and hogs, small game like rabbits and squirrels would do, in fact that would be great!

I don't wanna sink 500 bucks into something a gun, so I think a pellet gun would good. Looking to get at least a 1000 fps, Crosman C1K77X Quest 1000FPS.

Looks good to me, but I don't know much lol. And y'all think it'll be enough for small game, even chiggins or ducks that wonder into the yard. If ya wanna suggest anything, that would be great too, under 100 bucks please!

Any help is great!
Old 08-09-10, 11:14 PM   #2
bamabassman

ain't nuthin like my RED RYDER BB RIFLE. HAHAHAHA!
Old 08-10-10, 12:21 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

While I stacked up some small game as a youngin' with a pellet gun. I realize in my elder ways that it was unethical from the game's point of view. It is like shooting a bear with a 22, an inch this way or that, and they have a permanent limp or run off and die from infection. My personal opinion is that air rifles are great to build up to bigger and better things and learning safety. But I have to say and IMO I would not recommend using them to ethically hunt any game.
Old 08-10-10, 06:55 AM   #4
walkeraviator

Bubba is right. But air guns have come a long long way. With small game it has always been considered "ethical" to hunt with a .22... thats pretty much all i have ever used to hunt squirrels. But today there are air rifles producing teh same muzzle velocities as a .22 long rifle round. BUt you gotta remember they are just as loud as a .22. So if you live in an urban environment like a suburb, shooting one could alert the neighbors. For this very reason I woudl recommend just getting a Ruger 10/22 if you live out in the middle of nowhere and wont tick nobody off... or if you wanna shoot squirrels in your suburban back yard...

get a Gamo Whisper
http://www.gamousa.com/family.aspx?f...es&familyID=71

Keep in mind what Bubba said above... make sure you have enough energy left in the round when it reaches target to kill... and not wound... and for gods sake practice hitting the vitals so you dont let the animal suffer.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 07:50 AM   #5
XIntel007
BassFishin.Com Active Member

New England Firearms makes many different single shot rifles and shotguns that wont cost much more than a well outfitted high end bb gun. Give those a shot. They are made very well and won't set you back more than $250.
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 09:29 AM   #6
Jrob78

I agree with what the other have said. I grew up shooting high powered pellet rifles and did shoot small game with them. If you are going to do this you need to spend many hours shooting at targets first. Become proficient before you attempt to shoot anything living.

It is also important to learn proper shooting form. If you learn wrong with air rifles it will carry over to big game rifles. It sort of goes back to the left hand, right hand reel debate, old habits are very hard to break. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 08-10-10, 09:30 AM   #7
Bassboss

Thanks for the info guys! I still think I'll get the 1200 FPS air rifle rather the .22 just cause of price. I've read up on squirrel hunting, and rabbit hunting. So I know where I would need to shot them for a clean shot. And of course I'd use super point pellet, not hallow, or round point. Hopefully my dad I'll get this one for my Birthday or something.

And bama, only thing a red Ryder is good for is knocking squirrels outa trees!
Old 08-10-10, 09:34 AM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I still think I'll get the 1200 FPS air rifle rather the .22 just cause of price.
Lots of .22's can be had in the $120-$150 range, probably a lot more for less than that on the used market.
Old 08-10-10, 09:53 AM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Lots of .22's can be had in the $120-$150 range, probably a lot more for less than that on the used market.
I thought about buying used. But not sure if want to or not, is it that safe? I'll check ebay though.
Old 08-10-10, 09:53 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Let me tell you right now, it's extremely hard to kill a duck with a pellet gun/air rifle. All you'll end up with is a wounded duck flying away. Hunting is one thing, but it's not cool to just hurt animals.

Another thing about .22's is they can shoot a lot farther than an air rifle. Check your local laws on firing rifles, even .22's, because you may not be allowed to. Where we live, we're allowed to shoot pistols and shotguns, but not rifles.

BB
Old 08-10-10, 09:55 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
I thought about buying used. But not sure if want to or not, is it that safe? I'll check ebay though.
I'm pretty sure it's against eBay's regulation to sell firearms. Could be wrong though.

BB
Old 08-10-10, 10:08 AM   #12
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's against eBay's regulation to sell firearms. Could be wrong though.

BB
It is. Check www.gunbroker.com for firearms.
Old 08-10-10, 10:18 AM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
It is. Check www.gunbroker.com for firearms.
Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Let me tell you right now, it's extremely hard to kill a duck with a pellet gun/air rifle. All you'll end up with is a wounded duck flying away. Hunting is one thing, but it's not cool to just hurt animals.

Another thing about .22's is they can shoot a lot farther than an air rifle. Check your local laws on firing rifles, even .22's, because you may not be allowed to. Where we live, we're allowed to shoot pistols and shotguns, but not rifles.

BB
I was thinking about the duck, lol. Yeah, not a great idea.

But all tough we have lots of squirrel around, we also got plenty of houses. Their's hunting grounds not to far from here, and I've seen plenty of small game. So I'd be hunting there.
Old 08-10-10, 10:53 AM   #14
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey Bassboss try this it works well. It is the new all in one its kills and BBQ at the same time. LOL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AT...t_launcher.jpg
Old 08-10-10, 11:40 AM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
Hey Bassboss try this it works well. It is the new all in one its kills and BBQ at the same time. LOL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AT...t_launcher.jpg
lmao, had a feeling it was gonna be that!
Old 08-15-10, 12:14 AM   #16
MIbasser

Quote:
OK, I really wanna get into Hunting. If bot big game like deer and hogs, small game like rabbits and squirrels would do, in fact that would be great!

I don't wanna sink 500 bucks into something a gun, so I think a pellet gun would good. Looking to get at least a 1000 fps, Crosman C1K77X Quest 1000FPS.

Looks good to me, but I don't know much lol. And y'all think it'll be enough for small game, even chiggins or ducks that wonder into the yard. If ya wanna suggest anything, that would be great too, under 100 bucks please!

Any help is great!
1) Chances are it is ILLEAGLE to "hunt" ducks with a pellet gun.
2) IT IS ILLEAGLE to hunt ducks out of season.
3) YOU NEED A DUCK STAMP to hunt ducks - it is a federal stamp.

I'm not sure about FL, but you may need a hunter safety course to actually hunt. If you are just planning on just killing, go get a slingshot. And please don't post about it.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 12:41 AM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
1) Chances are it is ILLEAGLE to "hunt" ducks with a pellet gun.
2) IT IS ILLEAGLE to hunt ducks out of season.
3) YOU NEED A DUCK STAMP to hunt ducks - it is a federal stamp.

I'm not sure about FL, but you may need a hunter safety course to actually hunt. If you are just planning on just killing, go get a slingshot. And please don't post about it.

You are correct. I will also add that hunting game animals with a pellet gun is illegal in some states. TX requires a hunter safety class.

I do not advocate the killing of anything just to kill it.
Old 08-15-10, 10:20 AM   #18
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

While there are some cheaper air rifles on the market that are accurate, there are more that are not.

I don't know that you'll find an air rifle with the kind of accuracy needed for hunting with a $100 price tag.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look into a single shot .22. They make sub sonic ammo for these things that are no louder than an air rifle. And, typically single shot .22's are very accurate.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 10:25 AM   #19
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/89111

I can attest to the accuracy of this rifle. I bought one for my girls, and this thing flat out shoots!

If you want rounds that don't make much noise, and are accurate as all get out I'd recommend these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=295321

And if you step up to hunting, you can always go down to Walmart and pick up a brick of .22's for around $35 for 500.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 02:24 PM   #20
Bassboss

Well guys, found out that you can't hunt with a pellet gun in Fl.

I've joined a hunting forum, and made a few threads. I'm without a doubt going with a real gun, probably a shot gun for the sake of versatility. Either 12 gauge, or .415, the 12 gauge would be more versatile.

Thanks for the help though.
Old 08-15-10, 04:36 PM   #21
Jrob78

I think you mean .410. A lot of kids get .410's for their first shotgun and then get really frustrated because they are hard to hit with. I personally like 20 gauges. You can get a Remington 870 pretty cheap and it will last you forever. Great value for a pump scattergun.
Old 08-15-10, 05:37 PM   #22
BigBassin144

If you're hunting small animals (squirrels, rabbits, etc), a 12 gauge is a little overkill. They'll be so full of lead you won't be able to eat em.

410's are fun to shoot clays with. Most of the time I use my dad's 28 gauge. Not too heavy, and I can shoot a couple boxes of shells and not end up with a black and blue shoulder.

BB
Old 08-15-10, 11:51 PM   #23
Bender

A few years back we had a squirrels living in the attic so I borrowed a friend's air rifle to kill them. The house wasn't in town but there were neighbors too close to shoot a rifle. It was a very powerful Beeman Kodiak .25. It was very capable of hunting squirrels and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on other small game. It is not a cheap rifle though and since you have the place to shoot you're probably better off with a shotgun. I do really like air rifles and would like to get my own good one some day.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 05:53 AM   #24
walkeraviator

If you want versatility in hunting, save up and look at getting a Thompson Center Encore....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 01:29 PM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
If you're hunting small animals (squirrels, rabbits, etc), a 12 gauge is a little overkill. They'll be so full of lead you won't be able to eat em.

410's are fun to shoot clays with. Most of the time I use my dad's 28 gauge. Not too heavy, and I can shoot a couple boxes of shells and not end up with a black and blue shoulder.

BB
Thant's what I was thinking biggins, that's why I said .410 (er, .415, thanks joe, lol). I think a .22 would probably be a little easier to deal with, though, just simpler ya know?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.