Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-09, 11:46 AM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default Computer Virus Removal

Guys,

Lately, my computer has been very slow and I think a virus removal scan will help. I know JB recommended a scan to BB144, but I cannot find the post. What scans do you guys recommend that are free, but thorough?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 11:49 AM   #2
MississippiBoy

Here's a more detailed thread that Kevin weighed in on.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ighlight=virus

That might be a good place to start.

And here's the one I think you were talking about.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=18026

You also might want to de-frag your hard drive. if your computer is having to search all over the place to find the info you're asking it for, it'll drag the speed down.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 12:11 PM   #3
doc

I use AVG free for virus protection google it

Slow computer, you should run a spyware scan also, I use ad-aware for that, it is also free. Just google.

I recomend a virus, then spyware scan, clean out your temp files, clean out un nessicary files, then de frag the hard drive. If its still slow it might be upgrade time
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 12:16 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
If its still slow it might be upgrade time
But the main thing you need to realize is this; The computer orangutan is nothing to be trifled with. He's slower, less intelligent, and slightly more easily managed than his cousin the bait monkey. However, be aware of what you are dealing with. Don't monkey around with him.
Old 01-26-09, 12:19 PM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ahhhh, Buzz man what have you been looking up? You gotta to watch it, ask Zook, he'll tell ya....
Old 01-26-09, 12:23 PM   #6
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
But the main thing you need to realize is this; The computer orangutan is nothing to be trifled with. He's slower, less intelligent, and slightly more easily managed than his cousin the bait monkey. However, be aware of what you are dealing with. Don't monkey around with him.
Sadly in a buisness enviroment it is not just one orangutan but a whole unit of orangutai (lol,) they will gang up on you, keep you in pampering them on saturdays and sundays when you should be fishing. They are aslo in cahutes with the bait monkey, as half the items i buy are ordered from a pc.

Its a conspiracy!!!!!!
Old 01-26-09, 12:34 PM   #7
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
You also might want to de-frag your hard drive. if your computer is having to search all over the place to find the info you're asking it for, it'll drag the speed down.
I agree, try this first to see if will run more efficient. Also, you may want to look at the number of pictures you have. They can bog down a computer real quick.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 12:59 PM   #8
flbassman

Try malware bytes......And take it easy on the "late night surfin"
Old 01-26-09, 01:05 PM   #9
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Buzz-

I actually work in this field everyday and somehow ended up with a degree in this crap...anyways...one thing that you should try that may take a while but should help your system run better and is often overlooked is an error check....simply go to Start-->"My computer"...locate your hard disk C:-->right click on it...choose properties...look at the tabs across the top of this window and choose tools...the first choice in this window should be "error check"..if you choose this a new window will pop-up and ask you about repairing and compressing, check mark both boxes and press OK or Apply, whatever is available. Now it will tell you something like.."error check will begin on your next restart"..(I'm going by memory here..it's been a while) go ahead and restart your machine and before windows logs you in it will do a 5 or 6 part test...just let it run..I've seen this take 2 hours on some machines that have issues, so it may take a while..

Computers are wonderful tools, but they are tools....I always keep in mind 5 important rules when trying to keep my machine runnin'...

1) ANTIVIRUS...I prefer to use Norton, especially the new stuff, it gives you lots of specific adjustments/settings to I can manipulate my network and still have my machines run efficiently.

2) JUNK PROGRAMS...Often times we try to remove programs(control panel-->add/remove programs) but leave traces behind that clog up our registry or startup..download something like REVO Uninstaller (FREE..look on www.download.com) to make sure you remove everything that is hooked to that program..

3) STARTUP PROGRAMS...Often times when you download a new program it asks you something like.."would you like to add this to your system tray or would you like this to startup with windows..."NO'NO'NO" we usually just click next or yes...but you really don't need adobe reader and half of the other programs to start up when windows does...just takes up RAM and slows you down...it's okay to add an icon to your desktop but pay attention to programs that don't need to be running...you can check what programs that are running by going to..START-->RUN--> type in the word msconfig and press enter...click on the startup tab...these run when windows starts...if you recognize some of the programs and need to change the settings...open up that specific program and you should be able to find something in options, preferences or tools to change it so it won't startup when windows does...

4) BACKUP...This is probably the single most overlooked issue with computer users..get yourself a simple USB flash drive..(I use an external HD that is 250GB and costs only $70 at best buy)..you can get some ranging from any size you need...download an easy backup program..I use Cobian Backup (FREE) and is one of the easiest I have ever seen..setup a backup schedule, choose the files, folder or entire drives you want to backup...set it and forget it!

5) REGISTRY CLEANER- Your registry is the most critical part of your system...unless you really know what's going on you should never make any adjustments...with that said, recently there's been some major software enhancements that can automatically go in and remove registry issues...one such product is PC registry mechanic, I have not used many others but I know they exist...always check with consumer reports or something like Wired magazine for ratings..

I have noticed recently that on download.com they have a total windows care package that includes most of the items I've spoken about here...I have not used the software but it seems interesting and again is FREE..it's called Advance System Care and from the user ratings seems to work well.... just my .02cents
Old 01-26-09, 01:49 PM   #10
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
2) JUNK PROGRAMS...Often times we try to remove programs(control panel-->add/remove programs) but leave traces behind that clog up our registry or startup..download something like REVO Uninstaller (FREE..look on www.download.com) to make sure you remove everything that is hooked to that program..
Thanks for the info Jason. I already knew most of what you listed but, didn't think of junk program leave traces. I'll look into REVO. Thanks.

Buzz,

Set your defragment on schedule once per week to keep it maintained.

I use CCleaner...good program, it also scan for issue thru Registry, I use it daily prior shut down the PC.

And don't forget to have firewall!
Old 01-26-09, 01:50 PM   #11
doc

virus and spyware scans first, the other stuff second. If its a virus or spyware on your machine the other things will take forever to run, and then offer no improvement when they are finished.

just my .02C
Old 01-26-09, 06:13 PM   #12
Buzz Wing

Guys,

I have a few questions and comments. First, Jasonfish, I ran the error check seconds ago, gonna check when it restarts, just like you said. Now, for the questions:

1) What is a firewall?
2) How do I "de-frag" the hard drive?
3) What should I run periodically to keep the computer running fast and efficiently?

-Buzz
Old 01-26-09, 06:35 PM   #13
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

firewall is the big chunk of metal between you and your engine

sorry, motor head more than computer geek
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 06:39 PM   #14
Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
firewall is the big chunk of metal between you and your engine

sorry, motor head more than computer geek
Thanks! I wasn't talking about computers. I should clarified that before my post.

-Buzz
Old 01-26-09, 06:48 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Ok, enough from the peanut gallery...let the adults talk for a minute, lowrider...

1. A firewall protects your computer from a variety of attacks from the internet. It's a wall that keeps malicious software from getting to your computer. Without one, it'll take about as much time as you'll spend reading this post for your computer to be infected with something.
2. De-fragging the hard drive just means you tell your computer to organize related bits of information close to each other so it spends less time searching for pieces of the puzzle. Kinda like putting all your chartreuse spinnerbaits in one box, white ones in another, cranks in another, etc. You don't have to go through all your boxes to find a specific lure, you already know pretty much where it is.

Damn me if I can't remember where to find the de-frag tool, though...I'll post again when I find it...

Ok, here it is...Under the "Start" menu, go to programs, then accessories, then system tools. You should see "Disk Defragmenter" in there. Close all your programs, and run it. It'll take a good long while, a couple hours more than likely.
Old 01-26-09, 06:51 PM   #16
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

disc degrag on XP is

Start => All Programs=> Accessories => System Tools => Disc Defragmenter
Old 01-26-09, 06:52 PM   #17
doc

start prog, accessories, sys tools, disk defragmenter

there are 2 types of firewalls, software and hardware. Your wanting the software. It should be built into windows if you have xp or above. Go to control panel then security center. Also turn on automatic updated while your there.

You should schedule a virus scan, and spyware scan weekly if your a heavy user.
Old 01-26-09, 06:53 PM   #18
MississippiBoy

Oh, and download several good anti-virus and anti-adware programs and run them every couple of days, at least. Ad-Aware, AVG, Spybot, Symantec Anti-Virus, Norton Anti-Virus...there's a bunch of them.
Old 01-26-09, 07:13 PM   #19
Buzz Wing

Guys,

I found Firewall and enabled it. However, I could not find the "Disc Defragmenter". Under "System Tools", there is only an arrow that says "Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)". Where is the Defragmenter?

Also, what about LimeWire and music programs like that? Or MySpace, or MSN Messenger? Are these bad? Should they be deleted or set specifically to help the computer run faster?

-Buzz
Old 01-26-09, 07:18 PM   #20
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

what OS are you running?

Vista, XP, 2000 ,ME ,98,95 ?
Old 01-26-09, 08:33 PM   #21
bamabassman

buzz...when they get through with helping you, i am in need of this as well. not hijacking , just need to clean up mine as well.
would it help if i printed this out gang?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 08:36 PM   #22
Buzz Wing

Mr. Photographer,

I believe it is XP or 2000. I have an HP Celeron D, if that means anything, about four or five years old.

Guys,

I found the Disk Frag scan, ran it on one drive, drive C, and need to run it on my Pavillion Recovery drive still. I haven't noticed anymore speed yet, but who knows. I also ran the error check Jasonfish talked about, but not sure if it worked because I restarted my system and walked away, but when I came back, in probably four minutes time, it was back running. Did it work you think? Didn't you say it'd take and hour or so Jason?

Now, for the actual scan. What should I run, and in what order?

-Buzz
Old 01-26-09, 08:39 PM   #23
bamabassman

i have a gateway, running vista gang.
Old 01-26-09, 08:50 PM   #24
Buzz Wing

You like Vista, Bama? I've hear some bad things about it.

-Buzz
Old 01-26-09, 08:54 PM   #25
bamabassman

no, buzzy i don't really. but i DO NOT know what the he77 i am doing on ANY computer really. found out that there are alot of things on here i don't need and that there are ALL kinds of virus's planted from the factory. i think that they are starting to come out now. just happens SOMETIMES. want to wipe everything out and start over. but i will probably not do it right and have to take it to the shop.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.