Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-08, 06:26 PM   #1
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What worm to use on points in pre spawn

Hello im new to fishing and love this site. I will be fishing this weekend on old hickory lake here in Tennessee. I was out last week and had little luck with crankbaits,spinner baits onl caught one on a jig. I am thinking about fishing me some points in 10-15 ft of water mabe i will have better luck on some bigger fish. What im asking is whats the best way to do this with a worm how would you rig it? Thanks for any help on this
TNRACER93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 06:56 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

That is prime area for a Carolina rig. If you are not familiar with it take a look in the rigging section in the "new to fishing" forum.

It uses a heavy weight like an egg sinker, a glass bead, and a barrel swivel on the main line and then a leader tied to the other end of the swivel with a hook and your choice of bait. This time of year a plastic lizard is extremely effective.

It is designed for a horizontal presentation. Cast it out and drag it back with a stop-and-go retrieve. You want it to stay in contact with the bottom. The weight keeps it on the bottom and when you drag it it stirs up a mud trail. The bead serves 2 purposes: It protects the knot, and makes a clicking noise when the weight hits it. The bait-usually some sort of soft plastic-trails behind and is in the fish's face after the weight gets the fish's attention.

It allows you to cover a lot of water but still fish an area efficiently. At the depths you are wanting to fish it is one of the best ways to present a worm.

If you are fishing a specific piece of cover-flooded tree, big rock, etc. a Texas rig works better since it is a more vertical presentation. 2 tools for 2 different jobs.
Old 04-28-08, 06:59 PM   #3
bamabassman

WELCOME TO THE HOUSE O NUTS!! i ain't the best one to give advise on lures in your part of the tenn area. never fished that lake but i believe if you use a carolina or texas rig you'll do fine. they guys will need moe info on the conditions of the water and so forth. that'll give em a way to give you a better way to fish the waters there. and by the way, i am having a get together at goose pond colony, in scottsboro, al. this is a chance for us to actually meet in person, fish together and share opions, techniques, and yes tell lies to one another. if you are able to attend , please read the post about the get together at guntersville lake. my personal email is posted so i can make sure who is coming. and the details will be posted soon. oh....almost forgot to tell you the date. it will be june 6,7,8. come friday evening stay overnight friday and saturday, and go home sunday. if you can't bring, or don't have ,a boat let me know. thanks, and hope you are able to attend.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 07:12 PM   #4
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys a little more info the lake is stained water and temp around 66-68 drg right now. We are having a front come through friday and im fishing sat morning. I will look into coming down bassman i have friends down there and would love to fish at guntersville...
Old 04-28-08, 07:17 PM   #5
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

How long of a leader would you use??
Old 04-28-08, 08:22 PM   #6
Rebbasser

I usually use a leader 2-2 1/2 feet long. There really isn't a set length. Any longer than that and I tend to hook things behind me-my partner, the boat, my ear...
Old 04-28-08, 09:19 PM   #7
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I usually use a leader 2-2 1/2 feet long. There really isn't a set length. Any longer than that and I tend to hook things behind me-my partner, the boat, my ear...
Possibly a rock!?!

-Buzz -- GOT YA!
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 09:33 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Nope-those I only catch on a watermelon/chartreuse swirl Tiki Stick.
Old 04-28-08, 10:37 PM   #9
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

welcome to the site TNRACER93,,glad ya found it,i like the TX rig myself,lots more feel between bottoms,for me,,but good luck w/either you choose
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 10:39 PM   #10
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys for the info. What color would you go with for stained water?
Old 04-29-08, 07:38 AM   #11
Mac10
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Red Shad and all Black worms might be good. If the water is heavily stained, the red should work. If medium to light stain, I'd be trying the black or black shad. If very light to clear, green pumpkin, watermelon/red.
Old 04-29-08, 10:39 AM   #12
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The SM at Old Hockory are probably in spawn mode at those depths. This time of year I would use a Lizard instead of a worm. Rig it Texas or Carolina. 5 or 6 inch zoom. Color depends on the water color and dark or bright day. Try secondary points in the creeks with a jig or Texas rigged worm. throw at every blowdown,dock or unusual objsct you see. Fish2win

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.