Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-11, 09:53 PM   #1
G-Man
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Beware

BEWARE!!!

This message is simply to remind each of you all that we are vulnerable.
I took Monday today and invited a buddy to stay at the Lake so we can enjoy a day of fishing. So this morning we got up at 5:30 and headed down to the dock at 6 am.
CRAP! Someone broke into all my storage compartments -broke the locks and stole every rod, reel, lure, if it was not glued down it was taken. Have you ever seen a grown man cry!
EVERYTHING! I haven't even had my boat 4 weeks but all my stuff was on the boat locked up and safe ( so I thought) and woke up to empty compartments. Thank God they didn't screw with my HDS 8 and HDS 7 and Fortex.
If you never thought it could happen to you- Think again!
Yes I have insurance but this still SUCKS!!
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 10:01 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That's a real bummer man! Some people have no morals, or respect.

Hope you can replace all the stuff.
Old 05-23-11, 10:04 PM   #3
bamabassman

aaaawwwww mannnnn...........so sorry g-man. that is just aobut the worst thing in the world buddy. so very sorry pal.
Old 05-23-11, 10:04 PM   #4
keithdog

That just makes me sick GMan. Thanks for reminding all of us our fishing tackle is never really secure, especially if left in a boat or car. Sorry to hear what happened to you. Maybe this post will prevent something similar from happening to other bassfishin.com members.
Old 05-23-11, 10:11 PM   #5
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Man that just sucks. Glad you have insurance, but still, that just sucks.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 10:13 PM   #6
G-Man

Thing that sucks is it was locked. Nothing is safe!
Old 05-23-11, 10:14 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Sorry to hear that, I hate a thief. But, the locks that "secure" your boat storage compartments are not difficult to breach. Only takes a minute and not much noise. A locker bar may help, a thief will look for the easiest target. Anything that makes it more time consuming, noisy or involves a little effort can sometimes make a thief move on to easier pickings. A determined thief, not concerned with noise will get past most anything you can do, but otherwise an extra bit of protection - like a baby monitor, alarm, or the mentioned locker bar - may save you some future grief. Check your local pawn shops, Craig list, and newspaper "merchandise for sale", you may find your stuff offered for sale. It's very doubtfull your gear was stolen by another fisherman for their personal use.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 10:19 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Wow, does that ever suck! So sorry to hear that, G-man.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 10:40 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Man G I hate to hear this. There is nothing I hate any more than a thief. There used to be something of a brotherhood among anglers and they never messed with each others stuff, but as the world continues to go to hell this too went by the wayside it seems.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 10:41 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

I hate a frickin' thief. Sorry it happened to you, G man.
Old 05-23-11, 10:50 PM   #11
lilmule

One of the reasons electronics wernt bothered easier to trace as most have serial numbers,my hummingbirds are regestered to me on my account with bird,place to retrieve those serial numbers as well so can report.
Id keep an eye out for that eq,at local flea markets or a local ebay seller.Out of that much eq there is bound to be something custom or specialized to the point be easy to id.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 10:53 PM   #12
G-Man

I have the dealer looking into lock bar and some type of alarm.
Old 05-23-11, 11:07 PM   #13
docirv

Send a message via Skype™ to docirv

Hope they catch the thief and put him away.....
Old 05-24-11, 05:43 PM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

G, I hope you can recover your stuff. Bad thing is, if the people are caught, they will never serve any time for what they have done and someone else will be a victim down the road.
Old 05-24-11, 05:56 PM   #15
nofearengineer

And another paranoid, wary property owner is born.

Sucks, but anyone who isn't hasn't been a victim yet.

Get yourself a locker bar, a 2-way paging alarm system with a silent alarm, and a desert eagle 50-cal.

The man who breaks into my boat better pray I'm not within alarm range.
Old 05-24-11, 06:13 PM   #16
nobass

man that sucks like ever one said a 50 cal big mean dog and a tiger tied to your boat along with the t bar lock may keep the sop from doing it again when you replace thie stuff make sure you take pictures to give to police and take to pawn shops
Old 05-24-11, 10:05 PM   #17
coldbasser

Evil knows no bounds and respects nothing the time energy and thoughts that you put into it your selection means something to all of us that fish. A heart felt sorry that bad things happen to good people but it still sucks.
Coldbasser
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 08:33 AM   #18
Bender

That really sucks, and is a fear of mine. I usually take all my rods out when I'm at a hotel but it's not very practical to remove all my tackle. I do have a cheap home motion sensing alarm, but it seems to work. I had an automotive one, but a couple rough trips on Lake Saint Clair killed it.

Last week some a$#%$#% stole my transom saver in a hotel parking lot. While not an expensive part, it was a hassle trying to find one on a Sunday.

I've been thinking about getting a new alarm. And installing power locks with steel reinforced plates for the lock areas. I don't trust the Perko locks on my boat, they would be easy to break and I don't want the hassle of a loc-r-bar every time I stop for gas or go into a restaurant. If I ever get around to doing this I'll let you know. I hate thieves.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 09:07 AM   #19
coldbasser

Speaking of cockroaches I was with friends 2 boats and 5 fishermen. 3 needed to stop for licences while stopped someone stole the trim tab off of the motor! They are lucky that we didn't see them. All hell would have broken lose. Cut the hand off a thief and the stealing would stop real quick. In our country the sheep are at the mercy of the wolf's.
Coldbasser
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 08:18 PM   #20
ted48
BassFishin.Com Member

lIKE EVERY ONE ELSE MAN THIS SUCKS, SORRY THAT IT HAPPENED TO YOU. PROBLEM IS THAT MOST OF YOUR STUF ESPECIALLY TERMINAL TACKLE DOESN'T HAVE SERIAL NUMBERS AND EVEN IF YOU KNOW ITS YOURS AS YOU KNOW HOW IT WAS ARRANGED IN A TACKLE BOX, UNLESS YOU HAVE A PIC OF IT YOU CAN'T PROVE IT TO THE POLICE. THE MORE EXPENSIVE RODS AND REELS HAVE SERIAL NUMBERS. GET THOSE TO POLICE AS THE CAN PUT THOSE INTO LAW ENFORCEMENT COMPUTERS THAT ARE NATIONWIDE, THOSE ARE ALSO HOOKED UP THE PAWN SHOPS AND YOU MIGHT GET PART OF YOUR TACKLE BACK. AGAIN SORRY THAT IT HAPPENED TO YOU MAN.
ted48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-11, 08:31 PM   #21
SaminVa

What a pain.. sorry for your loss.. Since we're talking about alarms & rod locking bars can some of you share what you use alarm wise. I'll be making a trip as well... can put the H-798,tackle boxes & rods in the hotel.. but have lots of terminal tackle I'd like to keep safe. Give me some suggestions. I always leave my son w/ the boat when we stop at the store.. but I don't think he'd stay in the boat all nite..lolThanks, Sam
Old 05-25-11, 09:56 PM   #22
Jeremy
BassFishin.Com Member

What lowlifes..... I'm really sorry to hear that man. If you insurance doesn't help you out, I'll contribute a combo to the G-Man "Back in M/MF action" program.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-11, 07:03 PM   #23
Bender

Sam, If you are looking for something cheap then check out this one. I have it in the cockpit area and it will go off if somebody goes near it but the cover doesn't set it off at all. It is cheap, but I think better than nothing. I'm looking for a more secure solution now and I'll let you know what I find that is still affordable.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-11, 04:35 AM   #24
islandbass

Dang. Sorry to hear that. That was painful to read and I hope you can quickly replace everything. Two things that truly disgust me are liars (except fishermen/women) and thieves.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.