Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-10, 01:45 AM   #1
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default hi point

i know this is a fishing site, but you guys have a great deal of knowlege. have any of you shot or own a Hi Point pistol?

Last edited by wareagledc; 01-11-10 at 04:42 AM.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 03:16 AM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I haven't owned a Hi Point pistol but I am pretty knowledgeable about handguns. Hi Points have a reputation for being cheap reliable pistols. They are ugly as sin but inexpensive is probably a better word than cheap. They aren't terribly accurate and are somewhat heavy. They aren't cheap, Saturday night special, throw away, junk guns.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 08:59 AM   #3
jmartin

JROB I haved had two of them over the years. Not a bad beginner gun however not somthing you would want to carry or compete with.

Jerry
Old 01-11-10, 11:32 AM   #4
Jrob78

Definitely not something you would want to compete with, I might carry one if I didn't have anything else. It isn't a gun you are going to have to worry about blowing up on you. By most all accounts they are pretty reliable as far as function. I know that the little Hi Point Carbines are pretty popular and get high marks on a gun board I visit frequently. If you are looking for a really inexpensive handgun that isn't going to see any kind of serious duty a Hi Point might not be a bad choice.

Quote:
i know this is a fishing site, but you guys have a great deal of knowlege. have any of you shot or own a Hi Point pistol?
What were you going to use the gun for?
Old 01-11-10, 05:07 PM   #5
bassinbob

Probably shootin snakes when he's fishing.
Old 01-11-10, 05:27 PM   #6
wareagledc

well, I am just a poor fisherman so i can't afford to have several guns. Its going to be a multi-purpose gun. I have decided on a 9mm because of the cheap ammo that is actually available around here. I seen some rat shot i am going to use to shoot snakes. Some hollow points for protection, and round nose for plinking. I have been doing alot of research online, and have decided on either the Hi-Point C9 or saving for a few more weeks and getting a used Ruger P95 or P85. i think waiting for the Ruger might me a better choice.
Old 01-11-10, 06:08 PM   #7
Jrob78

I would definitely save a little more and get a Ruger. They are far and away better guns. You should be able to find a used P-series at a reasonable price. I'm not sure how well rat shot will cycle out of a semi-auto though. I used to have a Ruger P-90 (45acp) that I absolutely loved, I still kick myself for selling that gun. Rugers are big bulky guns but are built like tanks, you won't be sorry if you decide to go that route.
Old 01-11-10, 08:39 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

derrick, i am saving up for a ruger 9 mm myself. cost around 550 bucks.
Old 01-11-10, 09:00 PM   #9
Jrob78

Another decent budget 9mm is the Smith and Wesson Sigma, can be had new for right around $300.
Old 01-11-10, 11:19 PM   #10
flfireman

I got a Hi point 9mm luger. I keep it in my truck. Ive owned it for 8-9 years. yes it's inexpensive, but have no problems with it. Im actually very accurate with it, of course I shoot it at the range every couple weeks. My concealed gun is also a inexpensive one, Kel Tec 9mm stainless. Im looking right now at getting the millenium Pro 40 or 45. Still haven't convinced the wife that I need 3 handguns. That would put me at 7 firearms in the house..she says I only have 2 hands.
Old 01-12-10, 02:38 AM   #11
wareagledc

what model are you looking at bama
Old 01-13-10, 03:45 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

I have heard from several people that Hi Point handguns are very functional guns and although they have a small price tag they are pretty reliable. With me thinking about starting another job that could have a few hairy situations from time to time I am looking for another handgun myself, I have just about settled on a Springfield Xd.
Old 01-13-10, 03:55 PM   #13
jmartin

Springfield xd is a great choice however for daytoday carry if concealed i would highly recomend looking at Glock with the paulimer frame they are light enough for all day carry and very accurate. I am a 1911 fan but not for carry they are to heavy.
Jerry
Old 01-13-10, 04:05 PM   #14
Jrob78

I'll second the Glock for daily carry. I carry a Glock 27 in Comp-Tac IWB holster, goes everywhere with me and I never even know its there. A snub nose revolver is hard to beat for concealed carry also, ultra reliable and small enough to carry with many different methods. Nothing wrong with the Springfield either though.
Old 01-13-10, 04:10 PM   #15
jmartin

Yea I used to carry a Glock 32c but do to Ammo prices for the 357 Sig I switched to a taurus Ultralite 9. Hard to beat the Titanium frame for weight and with 9 shots the sky is the limit.

Jerry
Old 01-13-10, 04:20 PM   #16
Jrob78

Yeah, when it comes down to it any gun that you WILL carry is worth way more than the one that is too big or heavy and gets left at home.
Old 01-13-10, 04:22 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Cheap things tend to be disposable. As in drive-by shooting friendly.

Spend a little more and get yourself a good gun. Deadly weapons are nothing to go cheapskate on.

If you don't want to spend $500, you might find a good deal used. I paid $250 for my Taurus PT99AF 9mm...even got it in a nickel finish. So heavy you could break your hip if you holstered it too hard, but it shoots nice.
Old 01-13-10, 04:26 PM   #18
jmartin

Yea I use the 1911 for competion/sport shooting so it is carried on a Blackhawk thigh rig. That would get to many looks walking into walmart with a Ar-15 on a jungle sling and a 8 mag Terrorist pack with a low slung 1911. (Lightbulb goingoff) na wait I would get in trouble haha I am bored today.

Jerry
Old 01-13-10, 04:33 PM   #19
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
Yea I used to carry a Glock 32c but do to Ammo prices for the 357 Sig I switched to a taurus Ultralite 9. Hard to beat the Titanium frame for weight and with 9 shots the sky is the limit.

Jerry
I haven't ruled out a Glock yet but I assure you that I will never go down the Taurus road again, once was more than enough for me lol.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ghlight=Taurus
Old 01-13-10, 05:13 PM   #20
jmartin

Interesting thread. I am a Sig/Colt fan but The Taurus I have so far has been problem free ZERO missfires and I have put close to 300 rounds thru it since November 2009. How is your local Dealer? Whenever I have had problems with any gun I own my local dealer. has went out of his way to help. I had a Charles Daly 45 that wouldnt shoot straight(800.00 gun) they gave me full refund on a trade on another brand of Pistol.

Jerry
Old 01-13-10, 06:03 PM   #21
nofearengineer

The problems with Taurus are well-known...maybe too well-known, as in people miss out on a good gun because they're afraid to take the chance. I have had no problems with mine, but can certainly understand if someone is hesitant. Make an informed choice. Either way, I'd put Taurus as a higher quality firearm than a Hi-point.

Now if I can just hit the lottery and buy a legal full-auto assault rifle.
Old 01-13-10, 06:28 PM   #22
carolina-rig-01

I didn't go through the dealer mainly because they told me it would be better to deal with Taurus directly, which I wanted to do anyways so there was no middle man (I wanted to deal directly with the jackass that made the piece of junk not the dealer who sold it unknowingly).

Nofear I wasn't hesitant at first at all, I thought the samething you just said. But if a Hi-point would go bang when I squeezed the trigger then it would be much higher quality than the Taurus I owned. And my problem wasn't really with the fact that the gun had problems, anything that is mass produced is going to have failures (even though it shouldn't have them right away like my Taurus did). My problem was with the horrible customer service that Taurus has and the fact that when I called them I got lied to time after time and they were just smart @sses to me and talked to me like I was a freaking idiot. If they would have fixed the gun right the first time I sent it back I would be sitting here telling you all how great they are, but after being lied to several times a week for several weeks and when I got the gun back it was in worse shape than when I sent it in and then being lied to for several more months just to get my money back? No way in hell would I ever consider any of them a good gun. Glad you like yours and hope you never have to send it back for warranty work. But if you ever decide to carry it ask yourself if you really can trust your life to it, and be honest with yourself when you answer too because you may never get a chance to change your mind.
Old 01-13-10, 08:04 PM   #23
nofearengineer

You're right about customer service, Kory.

So many companies miss a simple truth. Customers are smart. They know what you said, that there will always be bad units that come off an assembly line. And it's kind of weird that companies that have a few failures, but give those customers Cadillac treatment to fix it, almost have a higher reputation than companies that have no breakdowns at all. You know what I mean? Customers really, really appreciate not being treated the way most companies treat them.

It sucks about your Taurus. I've probably fired a thousand rounds through mine, with nary a misfire and no jams. I'm as comfortable trusting it as I could be with any other gun, I guess.

Except maybe the BFG from Doom.
Old 01-13-10, 08:07 PM   #24
Jrob78

Quote:
Cheap things tend to be disposable. As in drive-by shooting friendly.

Spend a little more and get yourself a good gun. Deadly weapons are nothing to go cheapskate on.

If you don't want to spend $500, you might find a good deal used. I paid $250 for my Taurus PT99AF 9mm...even got it in a nickel finish. So heavy you could break your hip if you holstered it too hard, but it shoots nice.
You are exactly right, a weapon that is going to be used to possibly protect you or your families life is nothing to skimp on. My life is well worth the price of the gun I use to protect it. If it is simply going to be a range, plinking gun that's another matter. The gun that misfires or jams when you need it most will most certainly get you killed. There are plenty of good reliable handguns on the new and used market that won't break the bank.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.