Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-08, 11:38 PM   #1
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Booyah buzz baits

I've had a couple strikes on the booyah buzz and have been thinking of adding a trailer hook my thought was instead of using a single point trailer hook , was to add a treble instead after all it is a topwater bait . How do you guys think this would work ? Btw this is the bait i would be putting the trailer on and i was also thinking of removing the metal flap that makes the clicking noise .

http://www.toplakstackle.com/BOOYAH_Buzz_Baits_s/96.htm
Old 08-01-08, 12:20 AM   #2
cassidyta

Personally, I wouldn't remove the flap. I am always a fan of any sound and vibrations I can get. I fish a lot of the booyah stuff, and have not had a lot of luck when adding a trailer. It is porbably because I am doing it wrong, but on the booyah's it appears to mess up the action a lot. I also don't get a lot of short strikes on a my buzz baits.
Old 08-01-08, 12:21 AM   #3
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Jamie lad,

Not a thing wrong with your idea. So long as there are few or no obstructions all will be well.
There are, however, two tidbits of advice to share, based in my own experiences with using trebles as trailers; One, use a BIG one, at least a #2. Two, the skirt, if too long, will entangle the treble a good deal of the time.
As with most out-of-de-bocks skirted baits you should carefully trim, a TINY bit at a time, the skirt until the strands, when "flowing in the breeze" on the retrieve, barely cover the eye of the treble.
BTW, the best way to imitate this effect is to run warm water over the skirt to simulate water flow over it. (As if you hadn't guessed...hold the "nose" of the skirt straight up into the flow.) Then, as the water runs over it, grasp the skirt using your forefinger and "social" digit as "scissors", leaving a small amount of skirt exposed.
With your other paw, snip a bit of the skirt EVENLY, using SHARP scissors and maintaining a tight grip with those two other fingers aforementioned.
Now slip the eye of the treble over the point of the main hook. DO NOT attach the keeper yet. Holding the lure under the running water to imitate the same flow as though you were retrieving your little treasure, observe to see if the length of the skirt meets the requirements I mentioned earlier. If not, remove the treble and repeat the "flow, grasp, snip" sequence...a LITTLE bit. Better to snip too little than to give your lure a buzz(wing) cut.
Once you are satisfied with the length of the skirt attach the treble, add to keeper, and go fishing!
I often use "stingers" on my buZZZZZZZZZZZbaits and regular spinnerbaits as well. If you are fishing OVER (not through!) a weedbed or in a purely rocky or sandy environment, the treble will serve with little or no hassle.
For a single hook stinger, trim as well.
Bonne Chance, Mon ami!

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 02:51 AM   #4
cassidyta

Lancer,

I know you were offering the advice to Jim, but thanks. That is probably the most detailed post I have read on making mods. And I don't just mean this site.
Old 08-01-08, 08:24 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I always use a trailer hook on my buzzbaits, but I normally use a single hook. Mostly because I fish some snaggy situations, andI'd be pulling weeds off the treble more than I do now. Also, I leave the clacker blade on. I f you want, jusy buy one without it, there are many brands of buzzbaits to choose from. If you really insist on taking it off, I'd buy another buzzbaits, exactly the same, and then take the clacker off one of them. That way, incase you want it later, you'll have it.

BB
Old 08-01-08, 10:21 AM   #6
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i use a single trailer hook on all my boo yah buzzbaits with no problem.
Old 08-01-08, 01:24 PM   #7
Marty

I use a single trailer hook on all my buzzbaits. The majority of fish are hooked by the main hook, but there are just enough on the trailer that I'd lack confidence fishing without them.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 01:28 PM   #8
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Funny you say that because I actually did that on a mini buzzbait because the single hook was too long. It will work fine. If you can get away with the single hook, use it.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.