Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-09, 12:27 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Dark Beer Poll

Lets hear it , I have always been a bud guy. Looking to broaden my horizons... Ive had Killions once along time ago , dont remember if I cared for it though...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 02:16 PM   #2
66KingFisher

The first dark beer I ever had was served to me at room temp.....I was blown away at how good it was warm.....Drank just enough that I didn't remember the brand the next day....lol.

I don't drink much but when I do have a beer I don't want a bud light thats fer sure....need something with a bit more flavor, and I found that in Amber colored beers. My personal favorite is from south of the border "DosEquis XX" amber.....thats in the brown bottles....not the stuff in the green bottles....that junk rates right up there with Corona's as some crappy tastin stuff.....need to kill the bitterness with lime so you can drink it...hahaha.

I've also tried "Modelo dark" beer and those were really good......even had a Sam Adams dark something or nuther at Red Lobster one nite with friends that really surprised me....enough that I may have to the try Sam Adams line again.

Last edited by 66KingFisher; 05-23-09 at 02:27 PM.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 07:15 PM   #3
Bobby
BassFishin.Com Member

I prefer dark beer but cold not warm Shiner is very good any brand they make. Dark ale is good arrogant (fatherless child) the b word will kick ya in the backside
Old 05-23-09, 08:29 PM   #4
Jim80

Oh god man you can not even compare a bud to a good dark beer , they are just worlds apart. Guinness would be a good start but it does have a bitter taste or you could go with Sam Adams pretty much any beer in their line is worth drinking , one of y personal favorites is ST. Pauly's Girl . As far as beer goes once you go dark it is hard to drink a bud again .

Jim
Old 05-23-09, 08:57 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I normally don't like a dark beer, but I'll tell ya what, I really like German made dark beers. Especially Warsteiner dark beer. Try it, you'll like it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 09:14 PM   #6
cassidyta

You mean that there is beer that is not dark??
In my fridge you will find Guiness and Sam Adams Boston Lager.
Old 05-23-09, 11:23 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Bud Light - it's filtered through a Clydesdale's kidneys. I'm not much on dark beers, once in a while, but they are usually too bitter for my taste. I prefer a lighter, crisper tasting beer. Actually - I'd much rather have a premium vodka on the rocks.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 05-23-09 at 11:29 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-09, 12:17 PM   #8
CMorg

Actually , I prefer my Patron Silver , but at $90.00 a bottle I need to find another fix...
Old 05-24-09, 12:57 PM   #9
JB

I'll have to get denny to chime in when he gets back into town, he knows alot of good dark beers. He's had me try New Castle, Guniess, Harp, Doseques, and lots of others. Its good beer with a buzz but I've never been able to drink more than 3 or 4 at one time. Kiligans is probably what I've drank the most of, but have tried many micro brewery beers that my niece brings up from VA...
The only ones I dont care for to much are the lemon flavored dark ales
and Guiness Stout.
As most at the campfire probably noticed, we drink beer alot LOL
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-09, 01:50 PM   #10
NWOhioBear
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NWOhioBear

Your best bet is to go to a store like Andersons or something similar. They allow you to mix and match beers in a 6 pack. If your just starting out to change I would stick to lagers foreign made lagers and ales or pilsners for now. If your brave you can try a few stouts just be aware a lot of them are extremely thick and heavy on the gut. There are honestly way to many brands to try and give you any advice since everyones palate is different but a few that I enjoy are Wersteiner, Smythwicks (is a stout), can't go wrong with just plain old guinness, lots of Sam Adams, Stella artois (it's a bit floral but has a decent taste.. Sleemans, moosehead.

Sorry are just to many. A good rule of thumb is to try a few from each country first. Like Canadian beers are fairly good not to strong but much tougher then our american beers. German has a much fuller flavor. Same with most Bavarian regions. English beers have a more plank taste imo. Some aren't bad but overall I don't care for them. Irish on the other hand have a full flavor aren't to heavy and go well with potatoes :P...

I mean you can try the mexican beers. Dos Equis (a few different kinds none I really care for) Corona Tecate Bohemia (isn't bad) Superior. Are a few more lesser known brands but as I said try each region first.

One last note. Be aware all of the beers listed have a higher % of alcohol. So don't chug a case like you would with bud or the hospital might be iminent :P.. Good luck let us know how it goes!
NWOhioBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-09, 01:51 PM   #11
NWOhioBear
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Actually , I prefer my Patron Silver , but at $90.00 a bottle I need to find another fix...

You need to find a new place to buy your patron. We pay between 40-55 for a 1/5th
Old 05-24-09, 02:32 PM   #12
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

sitting here with a samule adams summer ale it's different but good
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-09, 02:50 PM   #13
Jim80

I think I like Sam's stock ale the best.

jim
Old 05-24-09, 03:32 PM   #14
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWOhioBear View Post
You need to find a new place to buy your patron. We pay between 40-55 for a 1/5th
cmorg is refuring to a liter at $90, i prefure aguar patron a $120 a liter. same company though a better grade..

you all ever see the dude with the pony tail and beard that does paul mitchell ads?? he owns the pa'tron distrillery.. one of the largest in mexico..

killians red -yuk!!!- sam adams is as good as american dark ale gets..bohomia -needs accent mark- is a great mexican dark ale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassackwards View Post
sitting here with a samule adams summer ale it's different but good

zooker
Old 05-24-09, 04:15 PM   #15
CMorg

Quote:
Your best bet is to go to a store like Andersons or something similar. They allow you to mix and match beers in a 6 pack. If your just starting out to change I would stick to lagers foreign made lagers and ales or pilsners for now. If your brave you can try a few stouts just be aware a lot of them are extremely thick and heavy on the gut. There are honestly way to many brands to try and give you any advice since everyones palate is different but a few that I enjoy are Wersteiner, Smythwicks (is a stout), can't go wrong with just plain old guinness, lots of Sam Adams, Stella artois (it's a bit floral but has a decent taste.. Sleemans, moosehead.

Sorry are just to many. A good rule of thumb is to try a few from each country first. Like Canadian beers are fairly good not to strong but much tougher then our american beers. German has a much fuller flavor. Same with most Bavarian regions. English beers have a more plank taste imo. Some aren't bad but overall I don't care for them. Irish on the other hand have a full flavor aren't to heavy and go well with potatoes :P...

I mean you can try the mexican beers. Dos Equis (a few different kinds none I really care for) Corona Tecate Bohemia (isn't bad) Superior. Are a few more lesser known brands but as I said try each region first.

One last note. Be aware all of the beers listed have a higher % of alcohol. So don't chug a case like you would with bud or the hospital might be iminent :P.. Good luck let us know how it goes!
Thanks for the input. I am not a chugger anymore , I like to just relax and have a few now and then...
Old 05-24-09, 04:16 PM   #16
CMorg

Quote:
Really , where is this place you speak of ?
Old 05-24-09, 04:19 PM   #17
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
cmorg is refuring to a liter at $90, i prefure aguar patron a $120 a liter. same company though a better grade..

you all ever see the dude with the pony tail and beard that does paul mitchell ads?? he owns the pa'tron distrillery.. one of the largest in mexico..

killians red -yuk!!!- sam adams is as good as american dark ale gets..bohomia -needs accent mark- is a great mexican dark ale..

zooker
Actually zook , my home town liquor store has been ripping me off...I paid 88.00 for 750mL. I will not shop there again. I am glad I started this thread.
Old 05-24-09, 04:28 PM   #18
CMorg

, I checked prices on the internet. I could have gotten almost 3 for the price of this , I should not buy anything without checking the net first. Mark that up to a lesson learned. Now , if I were to use this in mixed drinks , do you think maybe a cheaper brand would be ok ?
Old 05-24-09, 07:55 PM   #19
zooker

mixing it yeah a mid range jose' quavo would work since your basicly killing the flavor with what ever you mix it with..

i drink alot of my tequila straight no mixes..

if your after the flavor NEVER buy 'kila with the grub in it.. the grub was and is a texas heman thing...real tequila has no grub in it..

btw i had to replace my liter of augura parton -some one made "rum" cookies with some high end 'kila 1/2 a frikkin liter worth....dam dem was some good cookies...

zooker
Old 05-24-09, 08:48 PM   #20
bamabassman

*hic*.......*HIC*...........yep zooker they were hahahahahaha.
Old 05-24-09, 09:44 PM   #21
cassidyta

For you non patron drinkers (not sure how we got off of the dark beer) Check out costco. They offer several variety packs that will allow you to get three of the smaller bottles.
Zooker is dead on about mixing it. If you want a margarita get cuervo, if you just want to do shots, casadores. If you want to enjoy a tequilla to sip then patron might be for you. Although, Sammy Hagar didn't do too bad with Cabo Wabo.
Old 05-24-09, 10:33 PM   #22
NWOhioBear
BassFishin.Com Member

1800 (reposado) is the best good brand down from Patron.. Much smoother then Jose. Cabo is good of course so is patron just the price. 1800 is about half the price of patron and cabo. You can drink 1800 straight and it's good just not as smooth. Also if your mixing drinks I would say avoid patron since it doesn't give enough strong tequila flavor to be useful in a good mixed drink. You want some semblance of tequila there. 1800 would be my choice.. I don't like Casadores (cazadores) but as I stated before all about preference..

I drink and I drink a lot well not so much anymore but I did and I have tons of knowledge on most types of alcohol. I lived in Texas hill country and got my schooling on tequila there. I don't remember most of it besides it was fun.

I know this isn't the best way to learn :P but you can just go to a bar order a few shots of different kinds and see what you like to not drink the patron. Also a good thing to try and find out is the type of Tequila it is. Like reposado means aged etc. A lot of the silvers are straight from the cactuc through the distilation process and into the bottle. Which is why i said reposado instead of silver . Makes it much much smoother for me at least. Good luck!

Bear
Old 05-24-09, 11:50 PM   #23
bcklash

I must be a Va. REDNECK, because when I was drinking alot I'd drink 5 or 6 Coors Lite and after that it didn't matter except Pabst Blue Ribbon or has we called it horse pizz.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.