Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-05, 05:55 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Triton Tr-19/no Hole Shot

I Recently Purchased A Used 2002 Tr-19 W/a 200hp Merc. Efi Equipped W/hydrolic Jack Plate. It Screams When Its Up On Plane But It Sure Takes Forever Getting Up On Plane. The Engine Is Mounted At Almost The Highest Setting On The Jack Plate...should I Have The Motor Lowered? Anyone Have A Triton? Is A Slow Hole Shot A Common Charictoristic Of A Triton? I'd Sure Appreciate Some Input!!!
Old 09-17-05, 06:25 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok first go ahead and sign up on the board we always need new members. Second give me some more info and I can help you get her going. The info I need is tach reading at WOT,speedo reading and also a very important piece of info ....what doess your tach read when you nail it on holeshot. Also need to know what prop you running and size. Given these numbers I can help you with your problem.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-05, 02:03 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

no triton seem to have a wicked hole shot. i can't belive it sucks as you claim out of the hole unless the prop is the wrong pitch/type totally.

zooker
Old 09-17-05, 07:42 PM   #4
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

Default my triton/no hole shot

ok I'm registered..

I am using a 25 pitch 4 blade prop. I will record the tach readings on my next trip. The speedometer reading on top end is about 75-78 mph. GPS says about 67mph. I can tell you that the engine revs do not spike immediately upon gunning it. It actually seems like the prop is grabbing too much water. I would tinker w/prop pitches but I would rather not give up the top end. Also, props are super expensive. Will havemore info soon, thanks guys
ddc_5114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-05, 06:29 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Ok we are startin to get some where now. Will be able to be more specific with the numbers you getting. What it sounds like is the present prop your using right now is not allowing your engine to spool up on holeshot. As I said will be able to tell more with the numbers you gettin. You gotta remeber there is a happy medium that you should try and arrive at with a prop unless you want to have a couple laying around. For my boat right now I actually have 6 and it depends on what time of year it is and what I am doing ie..fishing or raisin h$#@ on the water and how much I have on board. With your present prop it sounds like your to big. The 4 blade prop was designed for holeshot and a decent topend. Cant have both....excellant holeshot and blazin topend.....there is a trade off. I always suggest to people if they can afford it to have 2 props...one for cool water and one for hot water and yes it DOES make a difference.....and I suggest that they prop there boat for the conditions that will most likley be boating in. After you het the yach readings on holeshot with your present setup I will be able to get a hole lot closer as to what you neeed to do.
Old 09-18-05, 06:31 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

Forgot to ask ya what 4 blade are u using right now????
Old 09-18-05, 11:46 AM   #7
zooker

laser 25 p 4 blade sounds like the same thing i am dealing with needs a progressive pitch prop.

zooker
Old 09-19-05, 05:41 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Zook

Almost every ss prop out there is a progressive pitch. The only ss props that arnt progressive pitch are the ss props that for instance mercury makes as a standard replacement prop that is a replica of a aluminum prop. Merc's prop is called a Quicksilver. In all actuality there is just a handful of one pitch props built out there. From what he has described so far sounds very much like he is running to much of a prop. Just from what he has descibed so far sounds like he needs to drop a pitch or two so his motor will spool up on holeshot and get the hull moving onto plane. Anytime your slinging a 4 blade you have to remember that you now have a extra blade that is biting and creating drag. I have seen it time and again where a person is running a 3 blade say 25 pitch and they want a better holeshot so they buy a 25p 4 blade. Now they are stuck with a prop that is sluggish on holeshot cause there aint enough ponies under the hood. Now if they had gotten a 23 or even a 24 they woulda poppped outta the hole and still had respectable top end. So many variables to consider when propping a boat plus the person has to be sure of the end result that they want. Sounds a bit crazy but when you finally get the correct prop on a hull and motor combo you wont beleive how they perform.
Old 09-20-05, 08:37 PM   #9
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

its a trophy plus prop//still havn't got the rpm specs..will get soon....emailed a triton rep and he recommended a 3 blade 25p prop//also recommended to have all but one of the vent holes closed//mine has two open and two w/what looks to be rubber grommets in them but still have an open hole in the middle..i never knew that a prop had vent holes....what are these for..spoke to a dealer and the guy said that the 2.5l 200hp merc is notorius for a slow hole shot. thanks for the help guys, keep it coming
Old 09-20-05, 08:38 PM   #10
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

what are the advantages to a 4 blade prop?
Old 09-21-05, 02:53 PM   #11
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

whats a hole shot??

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-05, 06:06 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Ok first off hole shot is when u are just starting to get going. Like a 1/4 mile car leaving the line. Thats hole shot ie..... getting your boat moving and on plane in the least possible time. Second that rep either made a mistake or you heard him wrong. With the vents open that allows the motor to spool up on holeshot to give you better times. A four blade prop doesnt always neeed these vents but in order to get the holeshot and best posssible WOT sometimes you can run a bigger pitch,use the vents, and therefore still have respectable WOT speeds. Your motor should spool up to around 45-5000 rpms on holeshot. Spoolup is a term meaning your motor turns that many rpms without really doing anything for a split moment then when it hits the 45-5000 rpm range you are now in the power band range and the motor should ift the boat with very little effort. If it where me I definatley would be looking at a 3 blade with the PVS sytem (vent holes) but we should be able to reach a medium with your present prop. I very much need those tach readings to help you out.
Old 09-22-05, 09:12 AM   #13
Jackl

DDC,
Go to your dealer and buy 2 set of plugs for your Merc prop. They come with different sized holes in them for venting. Start with the smallest in all four vent holes and work up until you get the best hole shot. (You will need a stopwatch and two reference points on the lake) You will probably ruin one set of plugs in your experiments. When you find the best time and spool RPM's with one particular plug, you may have ruined it in your experiments, so you need to go to the other package and install the best plugs for your boat.
I had this problem with a 26 pitch 4 blade Merc on a 200 HP Optimax, mounted on a 518 Ranger and experimented in this way to find my best combination. After I found the right plug size, I also found a used 25 pitch 4 blade Predator prop, which solved my problems.
JackL
Old 09-22-05, 05:19 PM   #14
zooker

good god the great amd mighty jackl has graced us with his presents.-drops to knees and bows mightly-

HAIL JACKL.......................................

zooker
Old 09-23-05, 07:33 PM   #15
Jackl

ZOOKER,

I know, I know, it is an honor and a privilige that I bestow only on the few deserving souls. I just figured that my absents was creating a hardship, so I decided to put in an appearance!!!

JackL
Old 09-23-05, 10:41 PM   #16
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

So a hole shot is the time it takes from dead stop to plane. Which needs to be minimized while keeping your top end.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-05, 06:22 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

cristopherkeene

Yes you are correct in your assumtion. The faster the holeshot...to a point....the better. You can over do it an have a neck breaking holeshot and suffer on your topend speed. That is why you have to reach a happy medium.....good hole shot and good topend. As the saying goes you cant always have your cake and eat it to so thats why everyone has to get there boat proppped right in the middle.
Old 09-27-05, 07:02 PM   #18
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

ok,

Ive got the rpm specs..wot 5400-5450 rpm's @ appr. 64 mph..the trim is at best level..it chine walks pretty bad if you trim it up any more..when starting off its at 3000 rpms than gradually rises to 4000 where it finally gets on plane...the hole shot is not so bad when the gas is toward the low side and there is only one person in the boat
Old 09-28-05, 06:22 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

Ok now with those numbers we can help you. First off your engine is not spooling up on holeshot (not developing enough rpms) and your WOT readings should actually be 5500 or a little more. You should be able to hit the limiter when the water temp is cooler. I would definatly find a friend with one of 2 props and I am very sure you will solve your problem. I personally like the Laser ll prop with the vent system as it allows the engine to spol up freely and come outta the hole like a rocket. I have yet tried a tempest or a trophy because I like the Laser so well. What ever prop you try drop down 1 pitch number. This will allow your motor to spool up and also allow your engine to get closer and maybe even hit the limiter. Once you acheive this then you can start adjusting jackplate height. As a rule of thumb start at 1 1/2 inches below the pad. There are several ways to measure this but the easiest to me is while the boat is on trailerlevel the hull using a level at the back off the pad. Then lower your motor till your cavitation plate is level. Then measure the distance from the center of the prop shaft to the very center of the pad. Now remeber this is only a startin spot. ALL boats are different and a 1/4 of an inch can mean all the difference in the world. Yes its in a pain in the arse to set a boat up but once you do you will DEFINATLEY like your ig MUCH better. As I sated before I have three props for my laser and gonna end p with a fourth I am sure once I get through loosing the weight I am taking out of the hull via composite stringers and different flooring and a totally different arrangement in the battery hatch area. I am also using 1/4 inch plywood for the floor but it is totally encassed in glass. Will be stronger than the original 1/2 inch flooring. Sorry started talking bout my rig but trying to explain the need to prop your rig. I have 3 props one for cool water,one for hot water, and one for pulling loads. The 2 props I have for the different water temps I use when fishing and still want best possible performance. So you see it is a hassle to do all the homework but as I said you will enjoy your rig much more once its done. Wish I was closer to ya so I could give you a hand. Remember borrow a prop that is 1 pitch smaller in a three blade. Do this after you get your motor set at 1 1/2 below pad and then start jacking down. WATCH YOUR WATER PRESSURE gauge. Dont let it drop below 12 psi. Let me know how your doing as I will continue to help you get her dialed in.
Old 09-30-05, 08:47 AM   #20
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl
ZOOKER,

I know, I know, it is an honor and a privilige that I bestow only on the few deserving souls. I just figured that my absents was creating a hardship, so I decided to put in an appearance!!!

JackL
"As he is on his knees groveling". I'm honored for your appearance, and feel uniquely calm while reading that you were here. Glad you took the time to stop by, hope to see you more often.

Lizards
Old 10-01-05, 06:35 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

Sorry In my previuos post I said start jacking the motor down I meant up. WATCH your water pressure gauge. DO NOT let it drop below 12psi even in a turn as the motor will over heat quickly and it doesnt take to many times before you cook the heads. The 1 1/2" below pad is a standard starting place. Your sweet spot may be higher or lower only you your tack, speedometer, and/or GPS will let you know. Let me know how things progress and we will get your rig where she needs to be.
Old 10-02-05, 10:22 PM   #22
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for everything,

and again, sorry to hear about your brother.

hoping him a speedy recovery!!!
Old 10-02-05, 10:23 PM   #23
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

sorry for my improper grammer...

wishing him a speedy recovery!!!
Old 10-04-05, 06:55 AM   #24
1FASTLASER

Thanks ddc. Now that I am back have you made any progress on the holeshot issue. I have aquired a prop that may be the ticket for ya. Would be willing to let you try it and see if it helps. Let me know if your interested.
Old 10-04-05, 11:29 AM   #25
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

What a guy!!!!

Just what kind of goodie did you come across?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.