Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-12, 09:05 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Are they spawning here

went to one of the campgrounds ponds yesterday ( look at braggin board for results) anyway AMber was throwing in the middle of pond, (she was having a ball and couldnt tell her differant) so i was doing the usual, rippin cranks, pitchin to dead weeds, nothing. so i walk up the hill, to get a good look at the pond, the sides i was fishing was the deeper side.

i look at the other half of the pond it was real shallow with alge in spots. Though i couldnt see them spawing could they be spawing in the middle of the pond? this is pretty mutch one shallow flat. Though she didnt know it she was slow rolling it and a yoyo type retrieve. Do you think she was rolling it over them bedding or "loving each other" to get the bite? just wanting to know what to do so this weekend it wont be a fluke.
thank you
Old 03-13-12, 01:37 PM   #2
wallywallace

anyone????????
Old 03-13-12, 02:19 PM   #3
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Water temp is the key to spawn. Not air temp. Take a pocket therm. and see water temp.
This time of year any increase in water temp will increase activity how ever slight it maybe. Top water heats up quickly and just a foot or two lower or deeper can vary as much as 5 degrees. Most will tell you the north west side warms first due to sun exposure but flats are more interesting to me due to bait fish congrating and the early feeders moving up. Some ponds are small enough that which end warms first may not be as important as water depth, shallow warms quicker. Are the ponds full of rock or sand? If unsure of temps cast a jig or something similar from deepest all the way to bank, very slowly with alot of stops and jiggles on the way in. The bites can be very very suttle so watch line and pole sensitivity are the keys to this. There are a number of techniques like flick shaking or a shakey head or even a biffle bug. Slow is the key, even more in my eyes than lure choice. I've caught early feeders or early stagers on yo-yoing a lippless and there is always the standard jerkbait hard bodies. One pond may warm quickly due to depth and sun exposure and another close pond may have little to no activity yet. Remember, this is late April, early May temps., not March. The active feeders will stop in an instant if a cold front or numerous cloudy days and resume just as fast the next sunny day. Remember, nights may still be pretty cool and may not sustain daytime water temps overnight. This may be the only part of year that a late start on your fishing day as opposed to the standard early bird gets the worm philosophy. Any increase in water temp regardless of how small will have an effect on the bass behavior this time of year. It will be interesting on how the early warm up effects the spawn. Warmest winter nation wide this year.
Good luck and good fishing!

Oh, if none of these thoughts improve your catch....throw what ever Amber's using!
Old 03-13-12, 04:39 PM   #4
wallywallace

lol thanks, and it is a sandy bottem i am going tomor and will start around 9 or 10, got a Dr.s app. at 8 so i should be done by then, good thing is, the way this pond is (in the summeer) it seems sothing is always biting. if all else fails i will hoist a spinnerbait in the middle of the pond like Amber lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.