Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-07, 10:42 PM   #1
Guttboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Guttboy
Question Re-using old line when spooling new line on reel?

Hi guys,

I am sure this has been asked but the search did not bring up anything on here.

I got some Power Pro 30# line at BPS today and I would like to put it on two of my baitcasters that already have mono on it. Is this a good or bad thing to do?

When I was fishing years ago old hats used to do this a bunch to conserve a few bucks and conserve the "newer" line.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-07, 10:52 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Not a problem. Use the mono as backing and put the braid on top of it. Pull off 3-4 casts worth of mono, tie on the braid and spool up. Makes the braid go a lot further, too.

I should have showed you yesterday-most of my reels have a knot about 1/4 of the way in. When I respool I pull off 3-4 long casts worth, clip it off and spool up with fresh line. When I can see/feel the knot it is time to respool. Makes a spool of line go a lot further.
Old 07-29-07, 11:37 PM   #3
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It also helps to get braid tight on a spool, as braid doesn't "bite" onto the spool very well, so therefore doesn't spool on very well. Powerpro actually recommends using 10 or 15 yards of mono to back up the braid.
Old 07-29-07, 11:39 PM   #4
wargoth

Side note, this is assuming of course that the mono is still servicable, if it has been on the reel for more than 2 years, replace the mono. But that should go without saying.
Old 07-30-07, 06:58 AM   #5
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've got no real world expierence with baitcasters and braid, but from what I hear, 30lbs braid is kind of thin for a baitcaster. You might need 40-50lbs test to keep it from digging in the spool.
Old 07-30-07, 11:45 AM   #6
JB

I use the mono backing but put about 1/2 a box of power pro braid on each baitcaster.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 05:45 PM   #7
links_man2

You can use any old mono for the backing because it is very very unlikely a bass would strip it down to the mono. Also, the reason Power Pro recommends mono backing is that the braid will slip on the spool it is so slick if tied directly to the spool----like the drag isn't working.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-07, 05:48 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I use the mono backing but put about 1/2 a box of power pro braid on each baitcaster.
Only if he bought the 150 yrd spool, the 300 yrd spool or larger aint gonna fit rotflmao. Using the old line if fine. Also I agree with Rodman, 50lb test would be "MY" choice for baitcasters.

Lizards
Old 07-31-07, 07:22 PM   #9
Marty

Quote:
Powerpro actually recommends using 10 or 15 yards of mono to back up the braid.
Marty recommends about 10 times that amount, as he has no vested interest in selling line. As far as I'm concerned, 50-60 yards is all that's needed for bass fishing, either baitcasting or spinning. You're going to respool when 20 or so yards is gone, so why throw away 150 yards of expensive line when you can just throw away 30 yards?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-07, 10:30 PM   #10
Guttboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Marty I have to agree with you on that note! Next round of line will be put on with some lovely mono as a "filler" then put the "good stuff" on for the working end!
Old 07-31-07, 10:36 PM   #11
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I dont trust my knot tying ability enough to do such a thing. What I always do is when I decide to re-spool my powerpro I strip off a good 60 yds and maybe a tad bit more and throw it away, then take the remaining Powerpro and take it off the reel and spool it onto an old Powerpro spool that no longer has any on it. So in my closet I have about 3 spools of 'used' powerpro that is practically brand new minus a little color fading. I'll reuse the line after I have exhausted the new fishing line, in about 4-5 years.
Old 07-31-07, 11:25 PM   #12
Guttboy
BassFishin.Com Member

bass fisher....I have had to re-learn some of the knot tying techniques due to lack of bass fishing (only needed the trusty palomar). I just have some extra braid lying around and some old mono that I practice the double uni and the pain in the butt J-knot.
Old 07-31-07, 11:53 PM   #13
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Yeah, If I put my mind to it I'm sure I could learn them, I jsut dont want there to be yet another weak link in the fishing system to worry about. If that knot ever worked loose I could easily loose a lot of line and a big fish. I do use about 10 yards of mono that I tie directly to the spool so I dont have to worry about line slipping, but the knot I tie the mono and powerpro together s just a complicated junk knot where i go through and through and over and over until I see it fit that it wont come loose, and I can egt away with doing it because it is literally pinned down under alll of the braid so if if it did come loose, it would make no difference.
Old 08-01-07, 12:36 AM   #14
Guttboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Try a double Uni knot for attaching the mono and braid...very easy to tie...pretty much two overhands with multiple wraps then pull em together!

Lots of links out there but this site is a start......you have probably seen it but here it is anyhow.....

http://www.angling-adventures.net/knots/knots.htm

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.