Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-09, 11:43 PM   #1
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Northern worms

I plan to do some serious backcountry fishing (North Western Ontario) and want to keep things as simple as I can since this will all be portaging by canoe. I was thinking of maybe just packing or primarily packing out with worms.
Okay so here’s a question for all you Northern bassin guys. I was reading Homer Circle’s book “Bass Wisdom” (still a first rate read even after 20+ years) and he’s singing the praises of T-Rig worm fishing – 50% of all fish caught in tournaments etc. etc. But then near the end of the book he says that for some reason he can’t understand worms don’t seem to work particularly well for fishing north of the Mason Dixon. So I’m asking you Northern boys, in your experience is it true?
Dr G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 01:34 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

No, not true. I've caught a lot of fish on worms. I happen to use the wacky rig a lot and probably caught over half my fish this year on that. Here's a guide to rigging them. In the late spring/early summer I seem to do better Texas rigging with a light weight (1/16-1/8) and dragging but in the summer a big 10" worm Texas rigged with a 3/8 oz. weight comes through the weeds really well and they like that too. I don't think you can ever count it out.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 06:50 AM   #3
bassboogieman

I fish southern Ontario every couple years. Plastic worms work very well, but for me Senko's work better for both bass and pike as do a Sweet Beaver style bait when fishing grass. The other techinque worked very well was swimming a creature type bait over grass. I used this one last August and bass absolutly slammed this bait, pike also. The most productive technique for me was swimming the Ozmo.

Ozmo (Lunker City lures) top is the original bait, bottom one has been altered (damaged baits can trimmed)
If it were me and I had to pack light - I'd take Senko's in pumpkin and green pumpkin; Beavers in watermellon, and black, and the Ozmo in black and watermellon candy. I particularly like the Ozmo, because it can be trimmed to become an entirely different bait, it offers a lot of various looks with one bait. I mentioned brands I use, but there are other similiar baits of different brands that substitute equally well. They will all fish off the same hook, rod and reel. Have fun, sounds like a dream trip.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 11-28-09 at 09:38 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 08:47 AM   #4
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Fished Southern Ontario's Rice Lake three years in a row and only used the zoom speedworm minus the tail in watermelon red...rigged texposed and weightless. Caught a slew of both largemouth and smallmouth. Also used this mostly when fishing southern Michigan for years. Homer's statement just isn't true on this particular point.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-09, 12:41 PM   #5
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

This is the kind of news I was hoping to hear. Also thanks for your specifics on baits, a great help and plenty of food for thought (excuse the pun!) Do you all tend to prepare your rigs before you hit the water or just rig em up as you go?
Old 11-28-09, 02:30 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
This is the kind of news I was hoping to hear. Also thanks for your specifics on baits, a great help and plenty of food for thought (excuse the pun!) Do you all tend to prepare your rigs before you hit the water or just rig em up as you go?
It depends, most of the time if I plan on doing a spastic (in your case worms), I'll rig one up right before I leave. I'll never rig up a worm a day or two before I leave though.
Old 11-28-09, 08:30 PM   #7
Marty

With all due respect to Homer, he's a legend, but I can't figure out where he comes up with some of the stuff he's written. Soft plastics of every type and style work very well up here and that includes Texas-rigged worms.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 12:34 AM   #8
Abbeysdad

Although not exactly native to most streams, ponds and lakes in the northeast, North American Night Crawlers have been catching fish up here just as long as in the south.
Old 11-29-09, 03:02 PM   #9
BeaverIslander

I haven't fished South of the Mason-Dixon so I can't compare, but Texas Rigged worms always seem to get bit. "Don't work well" and "Don't work as well" will get completely different reactions form people. They do work well, but as well as down South? I don't know. Maybe not.

When I pack light for the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, portaging and fishing smallies and pike in very clear natural lakes, this is what I bring. Thats it. Next time I go I will try some shakyhead worming.

- a few spinnerbaits. White, black, and gold shiner. Lightweight double willows.
- a few small buzzbaits in white and black. 1/8 oz Strike King is what I use, out of production.
- a few small lipless cranks like the Rattlin Rapala. Silver, gold, and craw.
- a few light jig and craws. Black and blue, pumpkin green orange.
- a couple small/med and a couple very large suspending jerkbaits in natural hues, and one very bright one usually, like clown.
- a selection of 3-4" finesse tubes, some Zoom Super Flukes, and some 4-5" curly tail grubs. Natural colors like silver, gold, watermelon, brown, smoke, etc. Bring plenty of these because I expect you'll have good luck with them and they tear easily.
-1/16, 1/8, 1/4 oz ballhead and tubehead style jigs for the tubes and grubs and some 3/0 EWG hooks for the flukes.

You're good to go, and this will all fit in a fanny pack.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 10:50 PM   #10
hookset on 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
I haven't fished South of the Mason-Dixon so I can't compare, but Texas Rigged worms always seem to get bit. "Don't work well" and "Don't work as well" will get completely different reactions form people. They do work well, but as well as down South? I don't know. Maybe not.

When I pack light for the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, portaging and fishing smallies and pike in very clear natural lakes, this is what I bring. Thats it. Next time I go I will try some shakyhead worming.

- a few spinnerbaits. White, black, and gold shiner. Lightweight double willows.
- a few small buzzbaits in white and black. 1/8 oz Strike King is what I use, out of production.
- a few small lipless cranks like the Rattlin Rapala. Silver, gold, and craw.
- a few light jig and craws. Black and blue, pumpkin green orange.
- a couple small/med and a couple very large suspending jerkbaits in natural hues, and one very bright one usually, like clown.
- a selection of 3-4" finesse tubes, some Zoom Super Flukes, and some 4-5" curly tail grubs. Natural colors like silver, gold, watermelon, brown, smoke, etc. Bring plenty of these because I expect you'll have good luck with them and they tear easily.
-1/16, 1/8, 1/4 oz ballhead and tubehead style jigs for the tubes and grubs and some 3/0 EWG hooks for the flukes.

You're good to go, and this will all fit in a fanny pack.
Doc, Beavers' recommendation is spot on. I only fish for bass in a 13ft. one man canoe for my local small lakes and ponds. All your possible scenarios will be covered in this bag of lures he states.

P.S. Throw in a few smelt color 6 inch Slug-Gos to match one of the primary types of forage up-north.
http://www.lunkercity.com/gallery.html

Hookset on 3
Old 12-08-09, 11:19 PM   #11
Dr G
BassFishin.Com Member

With respect to suspending jerkbaits, my understanding is that they are most effective when the water is clear and cold so would I be correct in assuming that if I'm fishing Quetico in late summer that the water temp would be too warm to use them?
Old 12-13-09, 07:36 AM   #12
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
With respect to suspending jerkbaits, my understanding is that they are most effective when the water is clear and cold so would I be correct in assuming that if I'm fishing Quetico in late summer that the water temp would be too warm to use them?
Not really the case in that they will only work in cold clear water.They will work year round but it's alot like work instead of fishing.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 09:46 AM   #13
dietz31684
BassFishin.Com Member

I live in PA and always have a t-rig 7" powerworm on a rod. I buy them in the 100 packs. I catch probably 70% of my fish on worms, but it is also fish it the most....definitely my go to.

edit - motor-oil is my fav color
dietz31684 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.