Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-13, 11:22 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Went fishing today....

...surprise surprise.

I'm telling you anglers, I GOT THE SICKNESS!!
I no sooner get off the water and before I even get home I'm deciding where I'll go the next day or what I'll do different or try to improve on my next outting....which is almost always the next day.
It is so lucky I get iced out in the winter or I'd be in rough shape. I had a contest with a friend back when I was just 14. Contest, who could fish the most days in a years time. Spearing and bow hunting carp counted.
He lived like 5 blocks from a spillway and I was a city boy. That kid fished 398 straight days, made the paper and stuff.
That year I fished 102 days. I had to ride my bike across the Miss. Bridge like 6 miles from my house. I had two paper routes (one for me and one for the monkey. Ya we met at a young age). The morning route was down town business' route so I had a travel rod setup that I carried in a back pack and after the route which was right by the river, I'd go fish. Back than I was a crappie hunter. I used artificials for them though. Boy did I loose a lot of 1/32 oz. jigs. Had every color of jig, tube, grub made and carried most with every time I fished. I soon rigged a back pack so I could carry 3 travel ultra lites and one light. Insanity started young.
Oh and I was a Catch and Release crappie hunter too.
I'd climb out on lay downs so I could get away from snags and stuff. I've lived my life around fishing ever since.
I'm telling you I'm a SICK,SICK man!

Anyway our last true warm weather was yesterday and today.
So naturally I fished from 7 (sun up) till like 2.
Oh and I kayaked both days.
So both days as always I start casting like right at launch.
The bite is ON!!!
Crazy action. Like a dozen plus ALL on a single texas rigged Space Monkey today. With in like 40 minutes of launch. Can't ever remember catching so many on one plastic anything in my life. Most were 14 inches or better.
Some a lot better.

This was BOTH DAYS!
The plan was to flip laydowns but this bay is close to launch and was across from the starting laydowns.

Now I knew the wind was going to be like 15mph today so I worked the pond acordingly.
Kayaking and wind don't really get along to well.

So pitching and flipping NuJigs. Rage chunk trailer.
I got to tell you something. If you fish lay downs. If you flip and pitch wood and the shoreline. Do yourself a favor GET SOME NUJIGS!!!
They flat out will not hang up!!!!!
Now the hooking the roof of the mouth and all the other great features are great but I started with Alphas specificaly for snag resistance. Never will regret it. THANK YOU BO AND CHANE AND KEVIN (PRO REEL WHO FIRST INTODUCED ME TO CHANE AND ALPHAS!!)!

So I did an 'Upgrade Thread'

I should of added this one!

This fish came flipping a laydowns
It took the NuJig and dove hard and straight back into the tree.
Now anyone who kayaks or small craft fishes KNOWS how ANY fish will pull the craft....and a big one....look out!
Pulls me into shore and I watched it swim around a LARGE branch and WRAP itself around it.
Like it knew EXACTLY what it was doing.!

Now this is why I research everything I can on fishing.
I read how to get I big fish out when it wraps itself around a branch.

So I THOUGHT IT WAS A GONER THOUGH! It was big. I'm having ABSOLUTLY NO boat control WHATS SO EVER.

Here's what happens.
You have to keep the line tight so you keep tension on the bass. You can feel it tugging. A MUST or you risk a spit out!
You pull the bass up to the branch and then let it pull itself back down. ALWAYS WITH THE LINE TIGHT like I mentioned.
You continue this untill the bass wears itself out and then you can pull it and it will come around the branch like dead weight and un wrap itself.

AND IT WORKED!!!
I bet from bite (remember, I was flipping so it wasn't like I had a lot of line out) it was 20 minutes!
Anyway it doesn't move me up further but it's an up grade none the less.
I'll put it in it's proper place tommorrow.

Thanks for letting me share and I hope you enjoyed!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.