Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-10, 03:40 PM   #1
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing a Canal?

I have never really fished canals much because I normally just think about Lakes and rivers and not canals.Well there is a local canal near by me that is pretty long and wide and it stretches a long way over 10 miles.
I have fished there before but not for very long so my experience with it is very little.
I am thinking about giving it another shot.
What I am most confused about is canals dont offer alot of structure and its the same depth virtually everywhere and the bottoms are almost always flat and there is not alot of vegatation but there is some.There is some rocky points and little cut outs along the canal near pipes etc etc and there is the occasional dock and bridges overhead with big concrete beams.What techniques and lures would be the most effective for fishing canals? What do you guys like to use and do you have any experience with canal fishing?
I was thinking about pitching jigs but have not put that thought to the test and maybe some diving crankbaits along bridge beams.
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 04:20 PM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

this seems like the ideal place to throw a wacky rig... maybe i am wrong, but it seems that i would try that first...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-10, 10:38 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't have any canals to fish near by me, but I did see a guy about a year ago on tv fishing canals in Florida and killing the bass in buzz baits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 10:39 AM   #4
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

I am not to familar with buzzbaits but you never know Ill give it a shot.
Yea the wacky rig may work pretty well there.
Fishing a canal is not my top place to fish but I was just thinking if its so close and I dont have enough time to drive to a lake why not give it a shot.
Old 09-26-10, 05:49 PM   #5
walkeraviator

Two guys..... and a weighted net... lol
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 12:29 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

If there's a bunch of the same stuff, same bare-ish banks, same depth, same same same.....look for something DIFFERENT, even if it's only a little different. One lone stump or branch in the water, a small depth change, a different kind of grass or other vegetation, or the docks and cuts you were talking about. Just remember to throw past the cover and retrieve by it, and throw to the shady side first.

If all else fails, try Walker's suggestion...
Old 09-28-10, 01:17 PM   #7
cassidyta

I used to fish a lot of canals and here are a couple of things I learned.
Look for any place where moving water shifts. A lot of the central CA canals are full of junk that folks have tossed in. These changes in current often give the fish a place to stack up.
In the mornings, cast to the sunny sides. The fish tend to move there just after sun up. As the day progresses, look for shade.
Most canals have feeder points where the water enters. These can be rain ducts, or even run off locations. Work these very slowly. The fish have learned that bait falls in that places. I usually toss either a grub or 4" worm. I go with the lightest weight that I can (usually just a plastic bead) I cast onto the shore and let it ease into the water.

Good luck
Old 09-28-10, 02:41 PM   #8
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
If all else fails cast net haha.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.