Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-11, 03:17 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Smart phone?

It is time for me to get a new phone and I am trying to decide if I want to go back with the Samsung Rugby for the durability or step out of the stone age and get a smart phone. Honestly I loved my Rugby but it's just getting old, I've had it since they first came out. I got it because I am on the water so much it's nice not having to worry about keeping it dry, if it rains I can still leave it out where I can hear it if someone calls me.........I even have talked on it in the shower before lol. I am pretty dang hard on phones, God knows how many times I have dropped my phone on concrete. But on the flip side I am interested in stepping into the world of smart phones as well. I just can't decide if I really want a smart phone because Britney has a Samsung Captivate and it's a good phone but I get her to download any apps that I want and we can get on the internet from her phone if we need to. Can anyone give me any good reasons to go ahead and get a smart phone or should I go back with the Rugby?
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 03:22 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you're that hard on your phone, I'd stick with something more durable. But if you'll pay attention and treat it better, go with a smart phone. I'm on mine right now waiting for my food at a restaurant....
There's tons of applications, gps, internet, games....
Old 07-15-11, 03:30 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
If you're that hard on your phone, I'd stick with something more durable. But if you'll pay attention and treat it better, go with a smart phone. I'm on mine right now waiting for my food at a restaurant....
There's tons of applications, gps, internet, games....
I am sure that if I had a smart phone I would be a lot easier on it. I don't really abuse my phone, but with the work I do and then being on the water it's pretty easy to rough it up a bit too. However if I had a smart phone I would just have to be more careful with it.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 04:19 PM   #4
doc

I, have yet to jump on the smartphone bandwagon and I work in the IT industry. I just don't really need a smartphone. Some of the apps are cool, but they usually come with a larger bill (the phone itself), are more complicated to work, more prone to breaking, and since I don't live in an area with 3g coverage (Fu at&t ) the internet would be just as slow on my smartphone as it is on my box chevy (thats what the wife calls my old slider phone I have.)

In my case I can't justify the extra expense for a phone that plays good games, because without 3g coverage for me thats all it would be.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 11:08 PM   #5
bamabassman

wait a minute..........kory and a SMART PHONE? com'on now............impossible. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

kidding with cha kory.
Old 07-16-11, 12:03 AM   #6
Jrob78

My buddy has a case on his iPhone that is super stout. It makes the phone a bit thicker but it looks like it would protect it really well. He said that it's designed in such a way that it's somewhat water resistant.

I'm not sure if this is the exact one he has or not but it's something like this.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...id=wuwF4g1p8Yq
Old 07-16-11, 11:56 AM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Not sure what carrier you have, but Verizon has a contractor grade smart phone. A buddy at work has it. He told me it was an LG GZ1, but I wasn't able to find that phone on Verizon's website, so you might wanna ask.
It's waterproof to so many feet...you can drop it...kick it...and apparently, the screen is so durable, you don't even need a screen protector.

When I upgrade in January, I'll be getting a smart phone. The really nice thing for me is, when I'm out fishing, some pics I take with my digital camera (for posting here and junk), some pics I take with my phone (for ruining Bama's day ).
The smart phones are now taking fantastic pictures. Once I get one, I won't need the digital camera anymore.

And of course, there's always insurance. While I've never bought the insurance, The way I understand it, it covers loss, theft, water damage and junk
Old 07-16-11, 06:36 PM   #8
bamabassman

yeah mike.....you DID ruin my day today. i was gonna send you some of me out but it didn't happen. jsut you wait.........i'll you.........and your little dog too. hahahaha!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.