Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-11, 09:29 AM   #1
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Nothern Open

Nate Wellman won the Northern Open tournament, but recently he was fined for comments he made to his co-angler during the tournament. Many feel that he should have been DQ'd.

Anyone been following this?

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/fine-...-northern-open
Old 09-03-11, 09:47 AM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

well, I would like to know if these comments are what was actually said. Without having heard what the comments were, I was of the opinion that it must have been a joke taken the wrong way. This , however, would not seem to be a joke, and if it was, then it's the worst one I ever heard. It just seems so strange that a pro would take a risk like that with a complete stranger. He would be be putting his reputation and career on the line without having any idea if the co angler would not report him. I don't know, I guess stranger things have happened.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 09:53 AM   #3
Tavery5

I guess the thing that makes me wonder about this the most is, what if the co-angler would have been a dishonest man and said OK. I wonder if this does actually occur at that level of fishing. If the things reported are what were actually said, I think BASS did not go far enough with their penalties, but I would have to believe that they done a very detailed investigation and felt like they made their decision with the best intentions for all involved.
Old 09-03-11, 10:01 AM   #4
lilmule

2.500 dollar fine and one years probation,I am curious as to what he actually said in jest,however bet he wished he had kept his mouth shut
If it had been a win changer no doubt would have been a dq
While they dont announce it to the world,some have been caught cheating.
Sort of ends that career.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 11:53 AM   #5
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

does anyone know what was said??
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 12:02 PM   #6
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
does anyone know what was said??
Click on the link it the top post, scroll down and you can read several posts about it. It seems that the co angler caught at least one 4 lb fish early in the day. It seems that Nate offered to buy the fish for $1000, he now says he was joking, but he repeated it at least a few times and even siad they could go to the middle of the lake so no one would see the coangler put the fish in Nates side of the box. He even told him that his dad carried $1000 to $3000 in his pocket and he could get it for him at the weigh in. Thats what the co angler says was said and nate says it was all a joke.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 12:18 PM   #7
Jrob78

It does sort of sound like it's something he's done before. With that much money and a trip to the Classic on the line, I believe he probably meant it. I'm just happy that the co-angler reported him, hopefully BASS will take this seriously and keep a close eye on Wellman. The problem with a full DQ is that there is really no way to prove it.
Old 09-03-11, 08:02 PM   #8
rrw4258

Well, I feel the need to chime in on this... I was at the northern open, including practice days from 4am to 7pm every day. I was there helping Economical Bass Baits, and on Tuesday, Nate Wellman rolled in during practice, and we must have talked for over an hour about fishing. He seemed to be very knowledgable and was a very genuine guy. He wasn't carrying himself as cocky, or being arrogant... like I said, he just seemed like a very nice guy.

Now I am not saying anything about what was said on the water. For all we know this whole thing could have been blown way out of proportion. As far as I am concerned, what was said on the water is all heresay.

Ryan
Old 09-03-11, 08:21 PM   #9
bassinbob

It might be hearsay but he admitted to saying what he is accused of. Although I was not in the boat with him I wonder how much was joking, nervousness and whatever. He got caught with his pants down. I think he got off easy.
Old 09-07-11, 04:27 PM   #10
Jrob78

FLW has banned Wellman from participating in any of their events for a year.

http://www.wired2fish.com/Wellman-Ba...ts-WhatsUp5818
Old 09-07-11, 04:53 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

The co-angler made his comments in the thread. Whether joking or not it was somewhat inappropriate bringing it up multiple times. It would be like making a suggestive remark to a woman and saying I'm just playing. But if you kept doing it, she knows you ain't playing hahahahaha. I "played" alot in high school.
Old 09-07-11, 05:00 PM   #12
TN_Bassin

Hearsay is 90% of what tournament officials have to go on in these events. Short of having a mic on everyboat recording conversations all day.

If it was all said in jest... fine. It's up to the co-angler or boater to decide what the intent of the comment was, and report on it accordingly.
Old 09-07-11, 05:15 PM   #13
Tavery5

This is a link to another forum that the co-angler that reported the infraction is a member of, he goes into some detail of what actually occured on the water that day. If this is not in line with forum rules please remove my post.

http://tinyurl.com/wellmanfined
Old 09-07-11, 06:52 PM   #14
Jrob78

It makes me think about Skeet during the last tournament of the regular season. He was in position to make his first final cut of the season. After the weigh in, he discovered that he had a 6th fish in his live well. No one would have ever known the difference but he called Trip Weldon, told him what had happened and DQ'd himself. I think I got most of the details right, just shows you two completely different mindsets. I hope the other anglers turn their backs on Wellman, cheating doesn't belong in sports, at any level but especially not at the top.
Old 09-07-11, 09:30 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have been following this and as a tournament angler (although not at that level) I am disgusted and angry that Nate Wellman is still able to make a living in the sport of bass fishing. Not only is he a cheater but he is a cowered for not manning up and admitting what he did. We have all made jokes that someone takes the wrong way, I get that. But what he said was no joke and it was about something that you just don't joke about in the first place. I mean if he said "it would be a shame if you dropped that 4lber in my livewell by mistake" then I say that's a joke. But once you start planning it out by going into details such as going to the middle of the lake where nobody could see you and how your dad carries $3K-$4k in his wallet and that you will get the money after the weigh-in, that is not a joke it's a conspiracy. I have always been a supporter of B.A.S.S. but the fact that all they did was a $2,500 fine and a years probation when this took place in one of their events but FLW pulled his eligability to fish their events really erks me at B.A.S.S., they dropped the ball big time in my opinion. In a sport where the participants police themselves such as bass fishing there is no room for anything of this manner. There is no grey area it's black or white and what he did was wrong and they should make an example out of him.

On a side note Wellman went on to win the tournament anyways even without the 4lber he tried to buy, so he screwed himself for nothing. But it makes me curious about the fish he weighed in earlier in the event. Where they all his fish or did his daddy buy them for him? I am not suggesting anything, but if a co-angler earlier in the event did sell him a fish you know that neither person would admit to it. The only way to get to the bottom of it would be with a polygraph test and B.A.S.S. didn't administer one so I guess they dropped the ball twice.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 09:36 PM   #16
Tavery5

I have heard that Nate Wellman made an offical statement, and in that statement he says that his jokes were fueled by his envy of his co-anglers sucsess. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt in this whole issue, but I just can't buy into his explanation of what happened. Sad story for what could have been a bright future in professional fishing.
Old 09-07-11, 09:46 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Sad story for what could have been a bright future in professional fishing.
I agree. But the silver lining is that this career which was most likely cut short was done so by his own actions. There are a lot of careers that are cut short for reasons out of the persons control. There are a lot of good sticks that have a bright future in the sport and they earned their stripes fair and square and Mr. Wellmans actions would degrade their accomplishments if he was to get away with it.

Kudos to the co-angler for standing up for what he believed in when he was between a rock and a hard spot.
Old 09-07-11, 10:42 PM   #18
Tavery5

Kory I agree about 98%. talking about doing someting and actually doing it are as your aware are two entirely different things. I would like to think that his concious may have gotten to him and he would have not actually followed through with this. We are all human, we all make mistakes, his was very serious and I wil trust that the BASS officals have spent their time investigating and deciding on a suitable punishment for the offense. If he gets a second chance hopefully he will make the most of it.
Old 09-07-11, 10:50 PM   #19
joedog

I'm really in no postion to really say what should be done to him, but it reminds me of steroids and baseball and I no longer follow Pro baseball because of the controverse. Plus I have never met a mean or arrogant con man.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-11, 11:45 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Kory I agree about 98%. talking about doing someting and actually doing it are as your aware are two entirely different things. I would like to think that his concious may have gotten to him and he would have not actually followed through with this. We are all human, we all make mistakes, his was very serious and I wil trust that the BASS officals have spent their time investigating and deciding on a suitable punishment for the offense. If he gets a second chance hopefully he will make the most of it.
I agree that talking and doing are two different things. But planning it out shows intent and since the co-angler turned him down that is as far as it goes and we will never know what would have happened beyond that. In my opinion whether or not he would have followed through is nothing but speculation. There is a chance that he might have changed his mind but even if he did he still violated rule 3(vii), which prohibits ‘suggesting to another competitor that he violate these (B.A.S.S.) rules.’ . I know your not saying that he shouldn't be punished at all so I am not arguing with you, I am just saying that although you are right, I still think he deserves a stiffer penalty than he got. The bottom line is that his bad judgement gave the whole sport a blackeye, at least for a little while anyways.
Old 09-08-11, 09:07 PM   #21
Jrob78

Here's the latest.

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?id=4058
Old 09-09-11, 10:10 AM   #22
CamG

A polygraph would solve a lot of problems. Him not offering to take one speaks volumes IMHO.

Remember when Bill Siemantel was just mentioned in the Mike Hart scandal? He was the first to offer to do a polygraph to clear his name. He did so, and passed with flying colors.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 05:52 PM   #23
TN_Bassin

The worst part is that BASS has the right to administer a polygraph. I think the fact that they didn't shows that they don't want to know the "whole" truth. I don't know if this is a publicity deal by BASS or just a poorly executed shove under rug routine.
Old 09-09-11, 06:04 PM   #24
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
The worst part is that BASS has the right to administer a polygraph. I think the fact that they didn't shows that they don't want to know the "whole" truth. I don't know if this is a publicity deal by BASS or just a poorly executed shove under rug routine.
Maybe Wellmans daddy paid B.A.S.S. not to give him a polygraph lol.
Old 09-09-11, 06:08 PM   #25
TN_Bassin

Lol I thought of that but that opens up a whole new can of worms.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.