Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-06, 06:17 PM   #1
cecherry
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Help installing gas spring in battery compartment

The bracket in the battery/gasoline compartment on my 1992 Champion has come loose. The old gas spring had gone bad too. When I try to re-install the bracket I'm having trouble positioning it so it will work properly. The screws originally holding the bracket are almost below the top of the gas tank. There is not much room to work between the top and back of the compartment and the built in gas tank. Anyone have some ideas on how to re-install the bracket?

Thanks
cecherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 08:13 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Are the holes where the bracket was still usable? If so you may just need to figure a way to get the screws back in-if I'm understanding correctly the problem is you can't get at them with a screwdriver to tighten them. You might try a hex head bolt you can get to with a wrench or if you have a socket wrench with a fitting for screwdriver bits that might give you enough room to work. I'm guessing the air spring was installed after the gas tank, so there has to be a way to get in there.
Old 06-10-06, 09:00 PM   #3
bassguy2004
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think this could work if the holes for the screws are reusable. Check this screwdriver out.
Old 06-11-06, 07:33 AM   #4
lizardsrule

There is a very inexspensive screwdriver, that is angled at a 90 degrees on each end for small areas(one end is phillips, the other end is standard). I have a couple of them, you can get them at most Lowes or Home Depot's It is designed for this type of thing. It's not a ratchetting one like BG showed you, but for like $5 everyone should have one. Cuz when you need it you need it now, not in a day or 2. Also I have successfully used magnetic business cards to hold the srcews where you needs them. If the screws are long enough, just start the screw into the magnet(usually cut it 1/4's) and place it over the hole, and there you have it.

Lizards
Old 06-11-06, 11:28 AM   #5
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

use hex head screws and a small wrench.make sure they're stainless steel screws.
if you can post a pic of the problem it would be easier to help you.
Old 06-13-06, 07:17 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

I am drawing a blank. GAS SPRING?????????????
Old 06-13-06, 05:40 PM   #7
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i'm thinking he's talking the lift cylinder/shock type.
doesn't look like he'll be back anyway.never filled out his profile.
i didn't realize this till now.i should know better than to reply to a poster with no profile,means their hiding something.lol
Old 06-13-06, 08:37 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Laser, I said the same thing so I Googled it. It is the thing that looks like a shock absorber that holds the hatches open on some boats. I've got them in both rod lockers.
Old 06-14-06, 06:13 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Damn ya talk about feeling dumb. LOL I was beaten my brains out trying to figure out where in the hell a gas spring is in there. LOL

Cecherry

If ya post a pic we can help ya out bud. They are fasten in different ways on different boats. Still feeling a bit dumb but can help ya.
Old 06-14-06, 06:23 PM   #10
zooker

umm laser i think he was a 1 post wonder..

zooker
Old 06-15-06, 06:20 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

LOL Could be ole buddy.
Old 06-25-06, 10:12 AM   #12
Jackl

CECHERRY
I wish I could find a "Gas Spring" so I could stop having to buy the high priced stuff. Does gas come gushing out of the ground like a "Water Spring" or an artesian well?

Seriously, I just replaced one of the "Lift Assist Cylinders" on my Ranger yesterday. It is a simple trick to do. There is a spring clip on each end that you pry loose with a small screwdriver from the back side of the mounting knob on each end, then the entire assembly pops loose and you just push a new one on. If you look at the new unit, you will see the spring clip I am talking about and get an idea of how easy it is to remove. It is a 2 minute job that a dealer probably charges 2 hours flat rate for, at $90.00 per hour. They come in different pound/lift ratings, so check the pound/lift rating on your old cylinder to make sure you get the right one or it may not hold the hatch lid open.

As far as replacing the mounting brackets, you can re-install them in the original holes in the following manner; coat the screws with a coating of car wax, let it dry and wipe it off. (This is to keep the screws from locking in permanently) Then, mix up a small amount of "2 part epoxy" and dip a couple match sticks in the epoxy and stick them in the original mounting holes and cut them off flush with a knife or razor blade. Re-mount the original mounting bracket, using the wax coated screws and tighten them securely and allow the epoxy to set up for 24 hours. Then re mount the gas assist cylinder. The match sticks will tighten the holes so the screws will hold, and the epoxy will hold the match sticks as well as waterproofing the area where the screws mount. After the epoxy sets up, the screws are removable, due to the coating of wax on them.

JackL

Last edited by Jackl; 06-25-06 at 10:31 AM.
Jackl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.