Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-08, 09:12 PM   #1
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Question about line

how do you guys feel about braided lines it's time for me to put line on a new reel and i can't make up my mind between power pro line or spiderwire stealth
bith in a 30lb test . I've used spiderwire before but found that it frays and have no knowledge of the power pro line and i am open to ideas about other lines .
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 09:19 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've never used Spiderwire, but Powerpro is a great line. I think the only one I like better is Suffix. I was going to try some Stren braid, btu I decided not to after feeling it, it's very rough. (that's why I like PP and Suffix: they are very smooth)

BB
Old 05-07-08, 12:55 AM   #3
Rebbasser

Jim, I switched from Spiderwire to Powerpro and never looked back. I've got it on several rods and have been extremely happy with it.
Old 05-07-08, 01:18 AM   #4
islandbass

I have used both. I know that Spiderwire Fusion frayed, but Stealth for me has not.

They are equal in most traits.

Super Strong
Near Zero Stretch
Roughly the same price

I wouldn't mind using either. Both are great in my book.

I will, however, give the slight edge to Power Pro because to me, in appearance, Power Pro seems "rounder" to me.
Old 05-07-08, 04:06 AM   #5
Bob60
BassFishin.Com Member

Have been using Power Pro for over 6 yrs. Great Stuff I use 40lb. I won't even consider any other braid.
Bob60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 01:35 PM   #6
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I can recommend Power Pro. I use it on my spinning reels.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 03:38 PM   #7
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm trying a new braid from Diawa right now. So far I like it but have only used it a couple times. I'll give it a few more trips before I decide if it's the deal! I like the Suffix braid too.
Old 05-08-08, 11:40 AM   #8
flfireman

Power pro- mostly use 20 or 30 pound. Have used higher, never felt the need. Well that one time I needed to pull a stump out in the back yard, Tied on some 100# and let her rip.
Old 05-08-08, 11:57 AM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

I use Cajun red & Berkly Big Game Mono!!! I never exceed the line rating of my rod.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 02:14 PM   #10
Jim80

i tried the berkley big game mono but really did not like it and have been sticking with the braided ever since , i ended up buying the power pro line in moss green at a 30lb test and i'll let ya know how i like it
Old 05-08-08, 02:34 PM   #11
doc

I just loaded my revo with spiderwire stealth 30lb. I have been a power pro user in the past tho 20lbs is as tough as ive previously went. My first impression of the spider wire is that it is much more waxy than PP. It also seems to dig into the spool more (tho that just might have been from the few yard casts ive threw).

I guess I can make my decision on wich I prefer once I can actually get to some water to fish, but now it looks like ill be switching back to the PP.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 03:10 PM   #12
Jim80

when i used the 30lb spiderwire stealth i had nothing but problems don't get me wrong the line is strong as hell but it frayed and kinked very easily
Old 05-08-08, 04:12 PM   #13
Lilmoosecountry

I've said this advice before i'll say it again. There is nothing wrong with braid. But if you don't want to tare up your nice pole. Please please keep your poundage at the recomended line size. By the way young guns. Line Diamentor plays no role in this. Using 30 lbs is ok. If that pole say's it's ok. But if it does'nt be prepared for rod damage. You see Pro's using 65lb line. Well they also go threw allot of rods. They more than likely have sponsors who will replace them. But if you have a nice Rod & Reel & it took you some time to save up for that rig. Using heavy line would not be recomended. I repair rods on the side. ripping line guides from a loomis or allstar blank can somtimes not be pretty.
Old 05-08-08, 08:07 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

moose, I never use anything over 30, it's just overkill. I even use 30 when we fish more Musky. I see no need, especially around here, for 50, 65, 80lb braided line. I want to catch fish and fight them, not water ski them across the top of the water, and even 30lb line does that fairly easily.

BB
Old 05-09-08, 10:29 AM   #15
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
moose, I never use anything over 30, it's just overkill. I even use 30 when we fish more Musky. I see no need, especially around here, for 50, 65, 80lb braided line. I want to catch fish and fight them, not water ski them across the top of the water, and even 30lb line does that fairly easily.

BB
Thatz fine but whatz the line size recomendation on the pole your using. Itz possible it could be even less.
Old 05-10-08, 01:13 PM   #16
bassinbob

When I first started bass fishing I used mono line. I lost a lot of lures in the pads and weeds. Reading the posts about lines I started using power pro. Most of the posts back then lead me to believe higher poundage was better. At least that is what I thought. I did buy some 30 lb but I mostly use 50# and higher. Yes Moose the higher lb will damage your rod if your not careful and void warranties.
Old 05-10-08, 11:30 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I just loaded my revo with spiderwire stealth 30lb. I have been a power pro user in the past tho 20lbs is as tough as ive previously went. My first impression of the spider wire is that it is much more waxy than PP. It also seems to dig into the spool more (tho that just might have been from the few yard casts ive threw).

I guess I can make my decision on wich I prefer once I can actually get to some water to fish, but now it looks like ill be switching back to the PP.
Doc, Spiderwire is flat where Powerpro is round. As a result, the flat line will dig into the spool a lot more than the round line will, which is one of the main reasons I switched to Powerpro.
Old 05-11-08, 07:20 AM   #18
zooker

spiderwire this stuff reeks..power pro -not a happy user here- i use calcutta ultra braid. from 10-45 pound test. best i have found.

zooker
Old 05-11-08, 07:00 PM   #19
bamabassman

ok... to me braided line is for the pros, and we have a few here. i am not that keen on the stuff. i use the mono myself. some reels have 20# and some have 10#. i have never lost a fish because of what line i used. i lose fish cause of other things, aka; jerked too quick, too late or wasn't paying attention. and i can't afford to buy the stuff to begin with. so i never even think of it at the bait shop. i just buy the mono. trying some different type of mono recently......not used to it yet. but i do alright. yes gang even the thickest viney grass of lake guntersville, lmao. i just use 20# test and rip the lures through the stuff, no problem to me.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-08, 07:26 PM   #20
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Just for kicks and giggles...

I just got off the phone with my buddy and he just informed me he lost two musky due to slicing of 50-pound Power Pro. Both musky hit within feet from the boat and snapped him off instantly...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 11:38 PM   #21
tnfisherman

i would go with power pro but in lower pound that stuff is strong so
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 08:13 AM   #22
stanley
BassFishin.Com Member

i like power pro line and berkley big game mono i stay 10 pounds over what my rod and real has on it to be on the safe side i keep it below 50 pounds that is what i use for catfish but i go bass fishing more i would og with 20 or 30 pound power pro line
stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 09:01 AM   #23
Fathead
BassFishin.Com Member

I love PowerPro its the best line i have ever used, i have 2 spinning rods one with spiderwire and one with powerpro and they are both excellent but in overall performance powerpro has it way less kinks and tangles, but i have a question is it reccommended to use braided line on a baitcaster? the first cast i made with a new spool of pp on my bait caster was alright but i noticed some tangle then i reeled it in and went to make one more cast and it got in a permanent knot had to cut off 20 dollars worth of line, so should i stick to mono on my baitcaster or should i try braided line again?
Fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 11:51 AM   #24
links_man2

Been using 50 Lb Power Pro for jigs and soft plastics for a while with no problems. What I have learned is that due to the no give/stretch in the line you want to back off the drag a bit especially if you have a hard hook set. Otherwise something has to give. Never had any problems damaging rods using the 50 lb line on rods rated much lower test. If I stuck with the lb test on my rods I would seldom land a fish since my primary lake is wall to wall salt cedar and mesquite---very dense very thick stuff.
Old 05-21-08, 03:58 PM   #25
Bob Smith

I have no problems with Power Pro or Tuff line, so those are the ones I have settled down to use as my "GO-TOS"

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.