Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-13, 04:48 AM   #201
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Lake Okoboji in northwest iowa is an absolute smallmouth factory and with a state record of 7.5 pounds I'm going to try to get up there this year. Okoboji Eagle has already mailed me a map with some of his favorite spots! Okoboji is home to Berkley and is a favorite small mouth lake of some pros who can fish anywhere in the country. A 5 pounder isn't uncommon - that's a 65% fish. Look out!

Last edited by IowaBasser; 03-06-13 at 04:55 AM.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 07:40 AM   #202
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That's a good idea Sammy. I will definitely keep it as a fish post only thread. One for every month might be a good way to break it up.
This is a prime example of where someone with admin/mod capabilities would be helpful. A thread with only contender fish but since that's not going to happen Joe we'll leave it up to you to figure something out. Push come to shove I don't mind flipping through a few pages to find out who's who. John asked me to start a new "clean" thread, so I started this one.....we can see how well that worked out. I'm sure we'll manage.

**edit** Just for fun for the past couple of years I've been stealing peoples identity. Then I've been slowly paying of their past due debt and judgements, opening new accounts and keeping them current and raising their credit scores substantially........it's fun

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 03-06-13 at 10:53 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 10:02 AM   #203
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
This is a prime example of where someone with admin/mod capabilities would be helpful. A thread with only contender fish but since that's not going to happen Joe we'll leave it up to you to figure something out. Push come to shove I don't mind flipping through a few pages to find out who's who. John asked me to start a new "clean" thread, so I started this one.....we can see how well that worked out. I'm sure we'll manage.
Yeah, a moderator could stick either an official contest thread, or monthly contest threads, at the top of the page, lock it so nobody else could post on it, and post the entries himself. So there would be no clutter to sift through to find the submissions. Too bad nobody's a moderator....
Old 03-06-13, 11:57 AM   #204
WatterBoy

Quote:

**edit** Just for fun for the past couple of years I've been stealing peoples identity. Then I've been slowly paying of their past due debt and judgements, opening new accounts and keeping them current and raising their credit scores substantially........it's fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Yeah, a moderator could stick either an official contest thread, or monthly contest threads, at the top of the page, lock it so nobody else could post on it, and post the entries himself. So there would be no clutter to sift through to find the submissions. Too bad nobody's a moderator....
Having someone with admin/mod capabilities would make way too much sense. Let's never do that...
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 12:04 PM   #205
aikenyounggun

Got confused on one of the posts from the last page. Private waters do count right?
Old 03-06-13, 12:56 PM   #206
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
Got confused on one of the posts from the last page. Private waters do count right?
yes........................
Old 03-06-13, 03:57 PM   #207
aikenyounggun

Ok, I was worried there for a second. Thought I might have gone from have very little chance, to no chance at all.
Old 03-06-13, 04:34 PM   #208
MississippiBoy

Ok, it's official.....you're all playing for second place, now that I have my secret weapon:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...ml?PCODE=MLDTT

READ 'EM AND WEEP, BOYS!!!
Old 03-06-13, 04:47 PM   #209
joedog

WOW, almost a pound. 14.4 ozs.

Toss that all day.....you deserve first place.
Old 03-06-13, 05:48 PM   #210
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That's a good idea Sammy. I've been meaning to start a new thread with all the weights from all states in participation. I just haven't done it yet, I really need to though. I will work on it tomorrow while I'm slacking off at work. I will definitely keep it as a fish post only thread. One for every month might be a good way to break it up.
Just a sugestion cause I'm not sure how many folks here use facebook, but we could create a page for the contest alone.
Old 03-06-13, 06:37 PM   #211
bassinbob

Hope Matt sells a down sized version. That thing looks sick.
Old 03-06-13, 09:52 PM   #212
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

when i saw mb's post...i thought he had talked LISA into going in his boat to fish, not mine. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 03-07-13, 08:10 PM   #213
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Well fellas I hate to do this this early on but my buddy John and I hit one of the powerplant lakes today and I got a good one. It was a pure luck deal as I was snagged with my crankbait and she actually ate it off the rock when I was doing the bowstring pop to try to get it loose. She fought forever and was barely hooked when John got her in the net. First time I weighed her she went 8.01 but when I weighed her with the camera she went 7.76 so I'm guessing she must have had some water in her mouth or something? Great fish either way. 22" long, 17" around on a chartreuse/black back Spro Fat John crank. 124/184=67%

bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 08:34 PM   #214
kennethdaysale

W W W Way to go!! and actually I'm glad you posted a good fish early in the game for a couple of reasons. To tie you I've got to catch a 10.8 so that fact helps me focus a little clearer and I won't waste time weighing 8 and 9 pounders. Also, and I don't want this to come out or be interpreted the wrong way but 67% is going to let the wind out of the sails of probably half the field...so be it...anyone with even a little competitive experience could see that coming. Lastly I'm only 90 minutes away from SC's only real smallmouth fishery and was deciding whether or not to ride over there to those fish to increase my odds.....now I know. Thanks blue and congrats again!!!

ps If I was you I'd probably just focus most of my efforts the rest of the year on those big wipers and cats yall got up there
Old 03-07-13, 09:36 PM   #215
bamabassman

ok blue...........IT'S ON NOW BUBBY!!! great way to start it off for real man. that is a BEAUTY!!!
Old 03-07-13, 10:14 PM   #216
aikenyounggun

I saw this in the bragging board and was just like "oh crap", least we have a benchmark.

Great fish though, and those spro cranks just magically catch fish it seems like sometimes. Great job starting the contest out right!!!
Old 03-07-13, 10:32 PM   #217
Bassboss

Toad!! Congrats on the fish, she's a beaut!
Old 03-07-13, 10:55 PM   #218
joedog

Clayton why did I know you'd be out of the box fast?

GREAT BASS!!!

I love to see it.
Cabin fever and all! I always RESPECT an angler who will fish anytime, anywhere, any weather.
It may have been 'luck' in your eyes, but I think we make our 'luck'.

My whole intention for this whole contest was to actually break a record.
I only can do Wi. Math so you know there wasn't going to be any percentage calculations involved with me setting a goal.
Seriously though.
I need to set obtainable goals to help me towards success in anything. So my actual starting point was 8lbs. Felt needed that to compete.
There are a lot of good anglers in this contest with access to a lot of GOOD water.

But I'll confess. I really am going to fish my 'strengths' and try one or two new presentation/setups a week or work on those that need work to become more efficient and have more FUN.
I am fortunate to have a lot of waters to fish and almost all can produce an 8lber.
I don't intend to fish bigger baits or smaller. I'm always changing as a norm anyway.
I'm just going to go out and become a better angler. also helps to set small goals too.

I intend to create some luck for myself.

And yes blue, bettering YOU is now part of the 'GOAL' list!

Mr. blue, again, great fish and congrats on a good start!
Old 03-07-13, 11:09 PM   #219
Jrob78

Congratulations Blue! Way to get it started! Also, great job on the pictures! That one is going to set the tone for this thing.
Old 03-07-13, 11:41 PM   #220
IowaBasser

holy $#@*!
Old 03-08-13, 09:42 AM   #221
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
W W W Way to go!! and actually I'm glad you posted a good fish early in the game for a couple of reasons. To tie you I've got to catch a 10.8 so that fact helps me focus a little clearer and I won't waste time weighing 8 and 9 pounders. Also, and I don't want this to come out or be interpreted the wrong way but 67% is going to let the wind out of the sails of probably half the field...so be it...anyone with even a little competitive experience could see that coming. Lastly I'm only 90 minutes away from SC's only real smallmouth fishery and was deciding whether or not to ride over there to those fish to increase my odds.....now I know. Thanks blue and congrats again!!!

ps If I was you I'd probably just focus most of my efforts the rest of the year on those big wipers and cats yall got up there
Glad I could help bring you some focus I hope that I didn't ruin anyones hopes of winning the contest. Like I posted a couple days ago the 7.51 I caught in January was the second biggest I'd ever caught in Kansas in 26 years of living here, until yesterday, now it's the 3rd biggest. I never would have guessed I'd get another one and even bigger than that this year.
Now I'll probably be hunting for that 5lb smallie the rest of the year except for a couple trips I hope to make to the trout pit in SE Kansas. It's a very deep strip pit they stock 8-12 inch trout in biweekly all year. There's state records in that pond, I've seen them
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-13, 03:37 PM   #222
1/4 stick

Wowzza!!! Congratulations Blue!!!
Old 03-08-13, 04:55 PM   #223
WaffleJaw

Great fish and great start!! ....Were just starting to see some females on beds....Im very curious to see the % in the next month or so....Regardless, a high bar is set! congrats.
Old 03-08-13, 05:32 PM   #224
IowaBasser

Now I'm gonna either need a really really big fish ...or a really really crappy scale.

(Next week I'm going fishing for the first time this year - though it's gonna be through a little hole and 20 inches of ice.)
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-13, 05:37 PM   #225
MississippiBoy

Great....I'm gonna need a 12.14 pound fish just to tie that one. Calling Panther, here I come.....

Last edited by MississippiBoy; 03-08-13 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Did math wrong
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.