Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-09, 11:51 AM   #1
ohilovewater
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Big News from Yamaha

Hey guys.. I watch the forum alot but never posted and didn't see anything on this new Yamaha website just yet and thought I'd pass it along. Looks like they're about to release something huge..

www.yamahagamechanger.com
ohilovewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 10:38 PM   #2
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default FLW Covered it

FLW covered the new piece. We I am a big Yamaha fan and all I can say is I hope it is what they say it is. I can tell you this, I dont be one the first to try on something like this. Need to see it for a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohilovewater View Post
Hey guys.. I watch the forum alot but never posted and didn't see anything on this new Yamaha website just yet and thought I'd pass it along. Looks like they're about to release something huge..

www.yamahagamechanger.com
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 11:00 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I found the video a little amusing. Having endured countless idiotic "Mercury vs. Evinrude" debates, it is obvious that there are a lot of outboard owners out there who are rather susceptible to marketing hype.

It is one thing to show one boat accelerating faster than another, but another thing entirely to show one with a higher top speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what they sort of depicted on that video.

There is a big problem with that. Since horsepower is measured at the output shaft, one company's 250 hp outboard won't provide any higher top speed than any other company's 250 hp outboard, assuming they are accurately reporting their horsepower ratings. One may out accelerate the other, but top speed is dictated by horsepower alone. If they want to market a 260 hp outboard as a 250 to create some illusion that their engines are more powerful, well more power to them (literally LOL), but it's still nothing earth shattering enough to be called a "game changer."
Old 10-23-09, 09:38 AM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yes if we are talking just horse power rating but. You have to take in account the lower unit gearing. While each out board company has a different lower gearing box stock..btw Yamaha's "300"-3.1l-is actually a 270 horse moter..if anyone does anything different it'll likely be in the lower end..Yamahas have seen that too many of there lowers were scraped and a sportmaster-merc-lower was added...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.