Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-09, 04:19 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Weather's impact on fishing

I made it out to the pond by my work for about an hour of getting a line wet. Today yeilded nothing, not even a bite. For this pond, it is quite unusual for me to not get at least one. As I was driving back to the office, it dawned on me that today was rather overcast. I was putting the results into my database (yes, I know just how much of a geek that makes me) and noticed that I am pretty good on bright sunny days when I try to stick tight to the weeds and the shadows. However, I am darn right bad when the sun is not present.

So the question becomes, What do you throw on a day when the sun is not out? Where do you look to find the fish?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-09, 05:15 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cass, i PRAY for overcast skies pal. here with a zoom lizard in the grass is the best way to catch em. seems they can see me with a blue bird sky. overcast, catch a few. my main problem is that this year along with the overcast skies, 4' over normal rainfall we also have high winds. i mean 25-30 mph winds. gusts a little more than that. so i am really having trouble on these days. blue bird skies.......... i can't BUY nibble.
so i am saying overcast skies, worm or lizard IN the grass or just on the edge of it. a little ripple on the water, spinerbaits. overcast skies and a little wind make it perfect for spinners here at least. if it ain't a little windy, overcast skies still around. i also am using the thunderstruck and cabin fever jigs around timber and boat houses. as well as open water. learned the open water tech watching c-rig on kentucky lake. as well as the c-rig in open water from zooker.
Old 05-28-09, 05:22 PM   #3
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I find overcast skies to be the perfect time to throw a double willowleaf spinnerbait with gold blades and a white skirt.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 05:51 PM   #4
Jim80

Man cass I gotta say i love fishing when it is over cast . I general throw all the same baits i normally would if it was sunny but tend to stick them tighter to cover and generally fish a bit shallower than I normally would . Most things I've ever read on the subject say that bass are more aggressive when it is overcast and less active under a sunny ski .

Jim
Old 05-28-09, 11:01 PM   #5
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl

Well, What about rain. I've been rained on the last 3 times I fished
Old 05-29-09, 12:03 AM   #6
hookset on 3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
I find overcast skies to be the perfect time to throw a double willowleaf spinnerbait with gold blades and a white skirt.
x2. The worse the weather, the better the chance for a hawg. My quantity generally goes down, but the...you know the rest!

Cass, I keep a log too. I use the one on Land Big Fish.com.
Old 05-29-09, 09:19 AM   #7
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Sometimes when its sunny out side fish tend to find places to get out of the sun like docks,rocks,grass,.But sometimes when it gets to hot fish go deeper but not past the thermocline http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocline .In overcast day's fish will roam more.In rain they seem to go deeper but sometime they will hang out on banks like with rivers they will eat worms and things that will fall in the river.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 11:09 AM   #8
Bassboss

When the sun not out, I love top water! Pop-R's, rapala skitter pops, rapala jointed minnow, and buzzbaits are my faves! I don't think it's as important to hug the cover as much, I've had bass come from 20 feet away and check out my bait when it over cast.

Bass don't seem relating to the cover as much as they do when it's sunny, they feel more free to roam around.

bama, when you use a lizard, do you use a weighted, or weightless one?
Old 05-29-09, 11:18 AM   #9
cassidyta

If it is morning or evening I will go top water. Since this was lunch time shore fishing and the wind was a little stronger, top water was not a decent choice.

Since it is still overcast and misting today, I will give the spinner bait a try. The pond does not have much grass, but the tullies are everywhere.
Old 05-29-09, 11:35 AM   #10
Jim80

with there being pads every where man maybe you could throw a toad or the likes .

Jim
Old 05-29-09, 01:08 PM   #11
Raul

Man, I love cloudy, windy & chilly days --> no pleasure boaters, no jet skiers, no waterskiers, no bathers, no picknickers.

Just us the good ole bass fisherman with the lake all for ourselves.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 01:28 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakalaki_girl View Post
Well, What about rain. I've been rained on the last 3 times I fished
As long as it's not storming, which can be dangerous, rain can really get the fish active. Topwater can be awesome in a rain shower, so that would be my first choice. Also try the spinnerbait with a fast retrieve close to the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Man, I love cloudy, windy & chilly days --> no pleasure boaters, no jet skiers, no waterskiers, no bathers, no picknickers.

Just us the good ole bass fisherman with the lake all for ourselves.
I'll drink to that.

Hell, I'll drink to anything.
Old 05-30-09, 05:07 PM   #13
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
no bathers
Speak for yourself!

Around here it has been windy every day this spring, I have yet to fish dead calm water. I am not much of a power fisherman so I prefer sunny, calm days when I can throw stick worms and drop shot more easily.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 12:01 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Another vote for cloudy/overcast days. I just go with darker colors.
Old 05-31-09, 07:53 PM   #15
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
with there being pads every where man maybe you could throw a toad or the likes .

Jim
They aren't pads here in CA we call reeds tules. Don't ask me why.
Cloudy overcast days are a blessing here in So. CA. If you throwing tight to cover there may not be anybody at home since the fish get more active and will roam more on cloudy days.Try a 4-5" money minnow swimbait with no weight and a 5/0 Superline hook and fan cast around the pond. Lucky you to have a pond at work to fish in.
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 08:01 PM   #16
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsaibp View Post
They aren't pads here in CA we call reeds tules. Don't ask me why.
Cloudy overcast days are a blessing here in So. CA. If you throwing tight to cover there may not be anybody at home since the fish get more active and will roam more on cloudy days.Try a 4-5" money minnow swimbait with no weight and a 5/0 Superline hook and fan cast around the pond. Lucky you to have a pond at work to fish in.
I have been working the 5" swimbaits a lot this week, with varied results. It has been a fairly overcast week for us so I spent a lot of time experimenting.
I did finally get into some fish today, but never found a true pattern. (8 fish on 6 different presentations) Only the topwater BBZ and the spinner resulted in more than one bass. The rest came off of plastics, but I had to work hard for each bite.

We do have pads down my way. Not acres of them, but several of my lakes have spots. They are very productive in the sun, but don't produce much without it.
Old 05-31-09, 08:53 PM   #17
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

What lakes do you fish down there?
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 09:56 PM   #18
cassidyta

Pretty much any and all of them. I am in Poway, so Lakes Poway, Ramona, Miramar, and Hodges see the most action from me. I try to make my way down to Otay at least every other month.
I will make at least one trip a year out to Barrett.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.