Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-08, 10:33 AM   #1
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default For you who spend a lot of time in your bass/bay boat.

The time has come for me to buy a trolling motor. I know what brand and size I want, but I want to buy the one that gives me the easiest, hassle free handling.
So please give me your experience with :
1) handle guided
2) foot petal
3) remote digital.

This is an 18ft Kenner, semi v hull for bay fishing, but I mostly freshwater bass fish. (probably bought the wrong boat...but the price was right). So figureing the weight around 1,200 lbs, which is the best "control" system.

Hoping to hear from those of you who spend enought time in your boat to be aware of what pleases and chaps you about your trolling setup.
Surfman
surfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 10:43 AM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

foot pedal with a doubt for me.
Old 03-03-08, 10:52 AM   #3
Jackl

SURFMAN,
Your profile does not list anything about what part of the country you live in. If you live in an area that has quite a bit of wind, (like Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas) I would absolutely advise against a hand control. I tried a couple hand controls and spent almost all my time controling the boat instead of fishing. I had a friend that bought one of the digital remote units when they first came out and he had nothing but trouble with it.
I would advise a 24 volt foot control of at least 74 lb thrust, install a couple of marine grade, 1200 amp, 27 series, Absorbed Glass Mat batteries, and you should be good to go. This is how I have my 19 ft Ranger equipped and I can fish all day in windy conditions without running out of power.
If you do not already have one installed, I would also suggest a 10 amp, three bank, on board charger.

JackL
Old 03-03-08, 05:13 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

my old boat had a hand controlled trolling motor and my new boat has a foot controlled so i can give you my opinions on both. hand controlled for me is a pain in the butt except for one benefit. the only good thing is that you aren't fishing all day with your foot up on a pedal which is better for your back and also better for keeping your balance when fighting waves (a recessed trolling motor pedal will do the same thing). like jackl said when you are fishing in the wind you will spend more time with a hand on the trolling motor than on your rod ( and will miss some bites as a result). a foot controlled trolling motor takes a little getting used to but after a few hours you will have it figured out and it is easy to steer. a lot of people like the recessed pedal and i think i would too. however my ranger doesn't have one and i don't have much problem with mine the way it is so i don't think i will be cutting my boat to add one. i deffinatly think that the foot controlled is the way to go but keep in mind that you will be the one using it, so make the right decision for you and running the trolling motor will be smooth and easy.
Old 03-03-08, 06:45 PM   #5
surfman
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the feedback!
I live in South Texas and we do have wind!
surfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 08:54 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Defnitely a foot control, surfman. More than once I've been on Choke pointing into the wind with the TM on high just holding position. A foot control is the only way I was able to manage it.
Old 03-05-08, 10:36 PM   #7
bamabassman

foot controled!! want a recessed in my boat though, always tripping on the pedal.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 12:53 AM   #8
flfireman

Had both, love my foot control. I can fish, cast, fight fish and never take my hands off the rod/reel. I have a 18ft alumacraft w/ a MK 55# TM, it puts up a wake on #5.
Old 03-08-08, 01:09 PM   #9
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
foot controled!! want a recessed in my boat though, always tripping on the pedal.
i would love to put one in my boat. "but" my live well is right under were i would put it..

zooker
Old 03-09-08, 12:07 AM   #10
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i would love to put one in my boat. "but" my live well is right under were i would put it..

zooker
Well now you have a reason to get a new boat zook!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.