Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-09, 03:57 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default TackleBox Inventory

Well I just got my fritz reel and put it on the crankin rod, which made me dig out the tackle box that has been in the dark in the basement for months now.

I get out a new pack of 12 lb test line and put it on the reel, and look at the owners manual on setting the tension knob, now its time to put on a crankbait.

SO, I open the box that holds three trays of crankbaits and started doing an inventory of my lures, and I'm like
"where the hell is all my most used lures?"..oh yeah,
then it hits me, ya lost most of them last fall power fishing on those windy days! crAp!

All that is left is a BUNCH of crappy twenty year old lures that once worked in ponds and this n that, but no way compare to todays paint jobs and better hooks.

I started out pitching about thirty spinnerbaits that now look like crap, either corroded or just junky looking.

Many are those homemade cheapies ya can get at wallyworld, the rest that once shined were the victim of
a bottle of glue that spilled years ago and either made them stick to the sides of the tacklebox or just were pitted and tarnished.

I managed to save Reb's spinnerbaits, they look n perform great, and a few others will be ok, but most just now went into the garbage.

Opened my top water box while I was at it and thinned down my collection of dozens of pop R's that I had altered either with feathers tied on for hackle or paint jobs that looked "primitive".

I always go through the plastics and get rid of junk to make room for more, this year I only threw away a few here and there, so I am OK in that area till I hear about something that a monk in south asia recommends LOL

The one thing that surprised me the most on the crankbaits was I am completely OUT of bandits, and only have a few manns minus ones.

So over the nest two months waiting on the ice to thaw I am going to keep that bait monkey in a cage, and only get cranksbaits that I know I have had success with
or have heard about on here..

I"m looking to get more modern looking cranks with more effective hooks.

Our little trash can in the dining room is over flowing with lures I've looked at in my box for a third of my life, but whats the sense in carrying them when I never even touch them or think about using them while on the water.
A lot worked on the ponds way back when but are too light to throw on my baitcasters, plus the fact I dont carry spinning gear..they're even to junky looking to give away! rofl

So, I am probably looking at some major restocking of the box, but I think I am due, years of being a cheapskate has bit ol JB in the arse, but I've got a real good idea on what I want and am going to be very selective on my replacement of lures I know are effective and not just "glitter" for show in my box..
If I can add to my dozen remaining spinnerbaits by about another dozen and then get about twenty new cranks I 'll be good to go.
I 've got plenty of jigs, craws, plastics that are fairly up to date, now its time to get more hooks and
confidence baits.
The monkey 's on my back at the moment but I'll wait for the money to start rolling in later in Feb to start buying.
wish me luck!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 04:40 PM   #2
WTL

So I did the same thing today. Got hit for $50 at BPS by the monkey bright and early, got a new "special" BPS box for hardbaits. Got down on the living room floor, put Richard III on the TV (the one with Sir Lawrence Olivier) and started sorting.
Old 01-24-09, 04:44 PM   #3
JB

kewl, what all ya get at bps lure wise?
Old 01-24-09, 04:57 PM   #4
WTL

2 packs of supermag flukes, I have been waiting on them for years. A 1/4 oz Johnson silver minnow, a pack of senko ripoffs, 2 Lew's topwaters and lots of hooks and split rings.
Old 01-24-09, 05:29 PM   #5
zooker

have ya actually casted that thing yet?? remember it is ALMOST like casting a 5500 abu a touch heavy on the tension setting is good -no real spool brakes-just like the lews bb1n...

zooker
Old 01-24-09, 06:08 PM   #6
bamabassman

jb, just remember to post what ya get ok? and have fun feeding dat monkey. he is starting to look more like his cousin the RV gorilla, or should i have said he is getting fat as a sowbelly?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 06:33 PM   #7
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
have ya actually casted that thing yet?? remember it is ALMOST like casting a 5500 abu a touch heavy on the tension setting is good -no real spool brakes-just like the lews bb1n...

zooker
zooker, I talked to c Rig about his yesterday and he said on his he adjusted the brakes, so I probably will to. I havent casted it cuz its like 20mph winds and snowing LOL

It sure is a lot smaller than I imagined but matches my other 6 quantum low profile baitcasters.

The rod amazes me, I thought my old fiberglass rods where sure heavy, this one isnt much dif than graphite.

I adjusted the spool line drop as per owners manual and marked a spot on the spool to watch rotation, the guide said to let any lure fall holding the rod at two o clock and when it lands the spool only turns one more time..
YOU know how hard it is to see a Sharpie mark on the spool with 54 year old eyes LOL

I got it close, will see this april at Tonys Pond after first ice out .
Other than that I like it and its the first 7 foot pole I have even had.
Old 01-24-09, 06:55 PM   #8
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Jb, you bought a BPS crankin stick ? Does that Fritts got a instant anti reverse or no ? What cranks you gonna buy ?Git wid Zooker, he'll sort ya out right.I'm still trying to buy 20 year old crankbaits, more or less thanks to CMorg asking questions. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 07:28 PM   #9
JB

its a american rodsmith rod and i think fritz advertised anti reverse but I a'int get n up from the chair to go look at it LOL
I want to expand bandit lures pnj, I have a couple of colors that produced in four dif states I tried them in last year

can anyone recommend what They think should be in my box, like your favorite three? I"ll make a list
Old 01-24-09, 07:43 PM   #10
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
its a american rodsmith rod and i think fritz advertised anti reverse but I a'int get n up from the chair to go look at it LOL
I want to expand bandit lures pnj, I have a couple of colors that produced in four dif states I tried them in last year

can anyone recommend what They think should be in my box, like your favorite three? I"ll make a list
1. Pink Helicopeter Lure
2. Pink Walking Worm
3. Pink Electric Neon Bleeding Shad Whiz-Bang

(AC Shiners. Get some. Really.)
Old 01-24-09, 08:40 PM   #11
rrw4258

1. Strike King Series 3
2. Bandit 100's and 200's
3. Rapala DT Series

Ryan
Old 01-24-09, 08:46 PM   #12
Captmikestarrett

Bandit in clown colors has worked best for me.

Capt Mike
Old 01-24-09, 09:17 PM   #13
JB

thanks Mike! I appreciate it.
Old 01-24-09, 09:34 PM   #14
bamabassman

clown colors are the perfic fit for ol jb.
now as for cranks, my favorites are the bandits, normans. mostly shad and baby bass patterns although i also like the orange tiger stripes too.
Old 01-24-09, 09:34 PM   #15
bamabassman

oh i forgot the xrap too.
Old 01-24-09, 10:11 PM   #16
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

As for bandits I like baby bass, smokey joe, fire tiger, red and a crawfish pattern in spring. I dont fish cranks that much But these have baan good down here.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 05:14 PM   #17
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default from the monkey

wal-mart has the manns on sale for 2 bucks. just thought i would let you know.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 06:02 PM   #18
bamabassman

JB..just for YOU PAL. i am gonna bring you a PINK HELOCOPTER LURE, ok? then your tackle box will be COMPLETE!!
Old 01-25-09, 06:19 PM   #19
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

All I use is the Flying Lure. Stock up before they're gone!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 06:51 PM   #20
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
All I use is the Flying Lure. Stock up before they're gone!

-Buzz

Actually Buzzy,They work but it all started with a guy named Bobby Garland and his gitzit lure. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 07:17 PM   #21
bamabassman

i have a few of them flying ures too. want me to bring em to the get together? lmao.
Old 01-25-09, 07:25 PM   #22
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Actually Buzzy,They work but it all started with a guy named Bobby Garland and his gitzit lure. P N J
Man PNJ that brings me back, we all used to use those Gitzits here in the murky shallow lakes of Ohio like indian lake and grand lake st. marys
Black tipped with chartruse and many other colors..funny how not many ppl fish it now and are hard to find
Old 01-25-09, 07:38 PM   #23
bamabassman

well jb ol buddy, ol pal. YOU are gonna get yerself a helicopter lure. AND YA BETTER USE IT!!!! hahahahahaha, we want a pic of you throwing it, ok?
Old 01-25-09, 09:58 PM   #24
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i have a few of them flying ures too. want me to bring em to the get together? lmao.
Yeah, that, and about 15 pounds of bananas..

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.