Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-08, 08:02 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Is it the charger??

Hey guys, I'm having some problems figuring out if the onboard charger is failing or if it's the batteries...the boat that I purchased has been in a garage for 2 years and not seen any use during that time, until now. The boat came with a GUEST PRO SERIES 5/5/5 charger, however I was working on the rig today and when I first got in the garage I plugged in the charger, opened the hatch and at first the "charging" indicator lights came on, but only for about 10 mins. and then the "ready" indicator light popped up...I know that there's no way they are fully charged since they were completely dead when I started...Is there a way I can test the charger..it seems to be in very good shape and there's no corrosion on any of the terminals and all cables are in above average shape...any help would be great..thanks!
Old 02-23-08, 09:19 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Check the voltage on the battery, you should have 13+ volts. Also, if the batteries are old, take them and have a loat test on them. If that's not the case, check the output voltage on the charger.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 09:21 PM   #3
basskicker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You might want to see if the batteries ARE fully charged. You can probably do this by turning on the trolling motor and see how strong it runs. If it goes at full power then everything is fine.
Old 02-25-08, 03:08 PM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The batteries are definitely NOT completely charged...I was recently talking with someone who had a similar problem and said that it turned out to just be dead batteries...these batteries have been sitting in this boat untouched for 2 years.
Old 02-25-08, 06:55 PM   #5
Jackl

JASON,
Put a regular battery charger on the batteries one at a time and see if they charge up on that charger. Sometimes if the the battery is completely run down the on board charger will not pick up and start charging. Are you sure the batteries are full of water?

JackL
Old 02-26-08, 08:28 PM   #6
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

And consider moving up to a 10/10/10 charger.Seriously,they are much faster charging.
And I'm betting the batteries are bad by now.Good luck with it.
Old 03-02-08, 07:03 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

All good advise but lemme throw this in. Get yourself a hydrometer. ALL boaters should own one. They are less than $10 and will tell you if the specific gravity is up to par. You should be right at 1.25 if the bats are in good shape. The only way to ckeck bats is when they are as close to being fully charged as you can get them. Then Load test them. If they pass start checking elsewhere. Check voltage output of the charger next.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.