Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-09, 04:10 PM   #1
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default How much do you actually use?

While reading another thread I thought to ask this question!!!!

Other than the occasional day that you can't get a bite and you throw everything you have, what percentage of the baits do you actually use on a weekly basis!!!!

Think about it, I have a hundred different types of baits but I use mainly 4 or 5...

so i technically only use 5% of my baits, but i continue to purchase baits. why??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
jcw1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 04:27 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think I can confidently say that I use almost all of my bait types in a normal day.
I might not use a particular color or size that day, but I will almost always start out with top water and then change it around as the day progresses.
I just got back from my lunch break where I threw a spro frog into the tullies, a Spook along the edges, Jigs into the laydowns, Cranks down the middle. I even threw out a finese worm for a little bit.
I am confident in saying that I do not own a bait that does not hit the water a few times a month.
Old 01-22-09, 05:01 PM   #3
3dkicker

If I'm pre-fishing I'll have 11 or 12 rods that I'll use. Then I'll switch up on types of topwater, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, etc. Once I key in on something then I'll keep only 4 or 5 rods out. Still I may only use 10% but over the year I'll probably use 40%. But your point holds up, I've got plenty of baits I don't use or used only once and will never use again.
Old 01-22-09, 05:46 PM   #4
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1503 View Post
Think about it, I have a hundred different types of baits but I use mainly 4 or 5...

so i technically only use 5% of my baits, but i continue to purchase baits. why??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
Your bait monkey says in sign language "You gambler" *screeching*
Old 01-22-09, 06:17 PM   #5
barkelypup

It basically boils down to this. You go out and buy the hot new bait. Take it to the water and throw it a few times or all day for that matter and don't get bit on it. After a while of catching no fish on it you chuck it away never to see the water again. Then you go back to a bait you have confidence in (and for me usually don't catch any on it). All the while the bait monkey is out there churning out the next hot bait with the hottest sales pitch showing monster fish being caught and you think "hey I have got to have that. Do you remember the moto lure or the one that had the light and beeper in it. And there is alway the one that is illegal in some tournements. That thing will be the bomb." and you swipe it off the shelf and the process repeats itself. Now in all actuallity if you would have took the "next hottest bait" out and caught fish on it the first day you would add it to your arsonal. It all boils down to conditions if they are wanting the helicopter lure that day and you catch fish on it you chuck it the next trip. If not you hide it away to the box of misfit baits. I couldn't begin to guess how many baits I have hanging on my garage wall that I thought at the time I got them would be the best thing next to live bait. It does make my garage wall look cool though. Ohh maybe I should have said I in my post instead of you. Thats how it works for me anyway.

bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 06:24 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

it's da bait monkey mannnn. HE is the one that tells ya in your sleep at night that you NEED the other lures. sshhhhheeeeeessssshhhh, hahahahahaha. it'll be okay pal. WE ALL HAVE THIS PROBLEM.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 10:31 PM   #7
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

I'd say I use all my bait styles, i.e. - Cranks, jigs, topwater, worms, etc. Alternatively, I'd say I use 65% of each individual bait consistently.

Buyin' all part of the game to, bud...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 10:59 PM   #8
abu4600

On a daily basis I fish a spinnerbait 60% of the time. The other 40% of the time I'll throw a jig or worm or topwater and thats about it. I have a ton of baits that never get wet and buy more every week, but the spinnerbait is my #1 bait.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 02:02 PM   #9
Raul

Let me tell you something, if I were starting into bass fishing knowing what I know now I tell you sincerely .... I wouldnīt have all that crap I have now, I bet that with 5% tops of what I have would be more than enough.

But the Baitmonkey is powerful.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 02:45 PM   #10
jcw1503

abu4600...I too use mainly two baits....I use my magic bait, zoom watermelon finesse worm 65% and spinnerbaits, mainly mini-spinners, 33% of the time....
jcw1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 03:11 PM   #11
aikenyounggun

If junk fishing is at its best(which is a good bit in SC) ill have up to 15 rods up on the boat with different things on, but if i get a good patern that reduces down to about thre rods.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 04:29 PM   #12
Cranebird

Into the day as I start to figure out whats happening,it never fails that I usually leave "the lure" for the day in another tackle pack sitting at the house.I always have something that catches fish, but if I had everything with me I feel as though I could do much better. P N J
Old 01-23-09, 04:39 PM   #13
WTL

Lets see, I own about 450 different baits.

And every time I go out, I always end up catching 3 times as many fish as I would have on livebait cause I always use the Helicopter lure...so....

I use .0022% of my baits.

Now, if you will excuse me I'm off to catch another 17 pounder. Jeez this is getting boring.
Old 01-23-09, 04:50 PM   #14
brushhog

Geez W, your cynicism is showing. It is a legitimate question and a lively discussion. I for one am thoroughly entertained and once i locate my abacus and slide rule i will calculate my answer...

Seriously I know I don't use half of what I buy... I guess it's like collecting baseball cards or something. You don't have to do anything with 'em to enjoy 'em.
Old 01-24-09, 01:26 PM   #15
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranebird View Post
Into the day as I start to figure out whats happening,it never fails that I usually leave "the lure" for the day in another tackle pack sitting at the house.I always have something that catches fish, but if I had everything with me I feel as though I could do much better. P N J
Yup, I still think that itīs better to have and not need that needing and not having, besides I ainīt carrying it on my back so as long as I donīt overload the boat and sink it the stuff is coming with me.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 01:56 PM   #16
woody

I also keep it all stored and locked in my boat.

I like to think that it all gets used one way or another.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 02:50 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1503 View Post
While reading another thread I thought to ask this question!!!!

Other than the occasional day that you can't get a bite and you throw everything you have, what percentage of the baits do you actually use on a weekly basis!!!!

jcw, I have about decided a part of it is buying tackle is our version of "comfort food"-it makes us feel good to buy more gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Let me tell you something, if I were starting into bass fishing knowing what I know now I tell you sincerely .... I wouldnīt have all that crap I have now, I bet that with 5% tops of what I have would be more than enough.

But the Baitmonkey is powerful.
Nice thought, amigo. Even logical. Only one problem, and we both know what it is
Old 01-24-09, 03:13 PM   #18
Joel

Funny that this thread should be posted today. I've been doing a lot of soul searching and decided that for '09 I'm going to be in control, not the bait monkey. I went through my '08 log and made a worksheet of every lure I used, if it caught fish on some kind of consistent basis taking season into consideration. then today with nothing much to do today besides prepping and painting (which lost out again to fishing stuff), I went through my tackle bag which is more like a tackle trunk, weighs a ton too boot, and listed by box exactly what I have. Did the same for all the boxes of extra lures and baits in the fishing closet. Then I removed every lure, and plastic bait that didn't produce or I didn't use and packaged or boxed them up by cat. I now have a tackle bag I can actually lift and is 100% productive to the style of fishing I do by season. Not a mini BPS. Then I went through everything again and found gaps in my 3 basic colors for all soft plastics: Green Pumpkin, Watermelon/Black flake, & June bug with some color flake, and white Pearl for topwater plastics. I actually needed two more Norman DD22s and 1 Rapala DT-10. I'm a big spinnerbait user as it's one the few dedicated BC setups I have, and ordered replacements as needed. Plus my entry into Berkley's Rage Tail series for topwater and creature baits, and of course soft swim baits.

But to any answer your original question, about 1/4 of my tackle bag was completely unproductive, while another 10% or so was never used at all.
Old 01-24-09, 06:15 PM   #19
bamabassman

joel...you say YOU are gonna be in control? hahahahahahahaha, and NOT the monkey? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, stop it...hahahahahaha, you're killing me man. hahahahahahahaha. in control..........hahahahahahaha. not the monkey, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. tears rolling down my face laughing..........

but you are right, it is time to weed out the boxes.
Old 01-24-09, 08:02 PM   #20
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
joel...you say YOU are gonna be in control? hahahahahahahaha, and NOT the monkey? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, stop it...hahahahahaha, you're killing me man. hahahahahahahaha. in control..........hahahahahahaha. not the monkey, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. tears rolling down my face laughing..........

but you are right, it is time to weed out the boxes.
Now it's all relative. My 1st order last year online with BPS was over $500 just for soft and hard lures. And that doesn't include a few rods and a Daiwa TDA 150A I needed to replace. This year my only order is just a mere $250. So I'm sticking to my guns and claiming that I tamed the bait monkey. I never said I killed him.
Old 01-24-09, 08:04 PM   #21
bamabassman

hahaha buddy, i hear ya. well, my WIFE has that monkey trained a little. i only spend what SHE allows me to. you know that a woman can handle the monkey better than a man any day.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.