Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-09, 12:38 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Shimano Chronarch

I am eyeing a chronarch MG 50 on craigslist right now. I have read some reviews on it, but wanted to see if anyone out here has used one and what you thought of it?

Thanks
Old 01-26-09, 04:07 AM   #2
islandbass

I haven't used it, but its reputation precedes itself. Just watch the price to make sure that if you win it you get it for less than $187.00

They are still available at tackle warehouse for that price NIB and they won't charge shipping.
Old 01-26-09, 04:09 AM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used 1 for one day about 6 years ago, went fishing with a freind who had one and I used his rods. As I remember, it was very smooth, tight, but not as fast as some of his other reels. Of course he could have had the brakes set some way to make the difference.
Old 01-26-09, 04:22 AM   #4
cassidyta

Thanks Island. I had priced out a new one and this one will be under the retail price. The guy selling it is asking 300 and has it on a G-loomis IMX that retails at 270. If it is in good shape I figure it is a $150 savings. Of course that is how I will sell it to the wife...LOL
Old 01-26-09, 05:59 AM   #5
George_Welcome
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have 5 of them that are used almost daily. Great reels, won't corrode in salt water, light, and works well with heavier lines.
Old 01-26-09, 06:02 AM   #6
WTL

I thought it was a given that magnesium corroded in salt water, George?
Old 01-26-09, 06:29 AM   #7
pig n jig

Well I retracted my first comment because of Georges post . I do not want to be spreading the wrong information.A few years back I cleaned the Chronachs MG s for a local guy.The magnesium frames were corroded in splothes on the exterior of the frames. Once I cleaned the white powdered corrosion, the frame was pitted and scarred.There was 9 MG reels in total and they all were corroded.The thing I saw was he had the baits hooked in top of the reel and I thought that the salt from the plastics or scent corroded the frames ? I don't know what did corrode the reels but something did, all 9 of them in fact were splotched corroded.There were no corrosion on the standard aluminum framed reels I cleaned for him.If its what you want buy it.The splotches never effected the performance of the reel,it just bothered me for I have never seen anything like it before. If it wasn't salt, then I don't have a clue what could have dripped on it and corroded the finish. What IMX rod is it ? I have 5 IMX rods,I think they are difficult to beat but I am not always correct. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 07:02 AM   #8
WTL

I did a little more research cause time is something I have and found that some of the newer MG reels have a sort of coating that helps protect them. Shimano has even said you can use it for salwater fishing.
Old 01-26-09, 08:08 AM   #9
Bender

It's been my favorite reel to date. I don't think you will be disappointed if you get it. I'm very tempted to max the credit card out and load up on them from TW before their gone.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 12:41 PM   #10
cassidyta

I have to verify on the IMX rod. I am going to look at them this evening. I doubt this combo will ever see salt water so I am not too worried about the corrosion.
Old 01-26-09, 02:06 PM   #11
Raul

Donīt know why you are eyeballing it instead of already ordered it. Itīs a fantastic reel and paired to an IMX ---> wow !
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 02:12 PM   #12
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Well I retracted my first comment because of Georges post . I do not want to be spreading the wrong information.A few years back I cleaned the Chronachs MG s for a local guy.The magnesium frames were corroded in splothes on the exterior of the frames. Once I cleaned the white powdered corrosion, the frame was pitted and scarred.There was 9 MG reels in total and they all were corroded.The thing I saw was he had the baits hooked in top of the reel and I thought that the salt from the plastics or scent corroded the frames ? I don't know what did corrode the reels but something did, all 9 of them in fact were splotched corroded.There were no corrosion on the standard aluminum framed reels I cleaned for him.If its what you want buy it.The splotches never effected the performance of the reel,it just bothered me for I have never seen anything like it before. If it wasn't salt, then I don't have a clue what could have dripped on it and corroded the finish. What IMX rod is it ? I have 5 IMX rods,I think they are difficult to beat but I am not always correct. P N J
You are not spreading the wrong information, but where you made a mistake was in the wrong identification of the reel, there are two Chronarch Mgs, Chronarch 100 Mg and Chronarch 50 Mg, two different reels. The Chronarch 100 Mg is an older model and it did not have the anticorrosion protection, the Chronarch 50 Mg is the neewer version and it does have the anticorrosion protection. However I would still not fish salt/brackish water environments with it. Reel DocKS ( forum nickname ) has seen and posted pics of corrosion problems in the Scorpion 1000/1001 Mg which is actaully the JDM version of the Chronarch 50 Mg.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 03:06 PM   #13
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Donīt know why you are eyeballing it instead of already ordered it. Itīs a fantastic reel and paired to an IMX ---> wow !

Eyeballing it because the ad showed up on Craigslist after 11:00 pm last night. I have to go and see it today to purchase it.
Old 01-26-09, 05:45 PM   #14
bassinbob

I bought one from TW and can't wait to try it out. Just happened to accidently find a rod for it too. Back at TW again the other night I happened to see they had Kistler LTA 's on sale for $175. Lo and behold they offered it for another 17% off. Only had 7ft mh left. So for $168 I got the rod a strike king crank and a pack of toads.
Old 01-26-09, 08:36 PM   #15
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Thanks Island. I had priced out a new one and this one will be under the retail price. The guy selling it is asking 300 and has it on a G-loomis IMX that retails at 270. If it is in good shape I figure it is a $150 savings. Of course that is how I will sell it to the wife...LOL

I have faith in you. We married men are salesmen to a certiain extent. Somehow we all convinced a beautiful woman to marry us, which might be a miracle in and of itself. I am sure you can close the deal on the rod and reel to the Mrs., but it could be bait monkey to bait monkey talk. Post pics!
Old 01-26-09, 11:10 PM   #16
cassidyta

Well the old saying of too good to be true was true on this one. The reel was not smooth at all and would catch every couple of turns. I suspect that there is a damaged gear of sorts. The rod was badly beaten up all eyelets were in place but there were deep scratches that I know have damaged the backbone. I honestly suspect that the whole combo was in the back of a truck or boat during some sort of collision.
I guess I am back to the world of craigslist.
Old 01-27-09, 05:46 AM   #17
pig n jig

Sorry to hear that Cass,I could have fixed the reel for you but it sounds like you made the correct choie.When the reel catches like that,its not the gears in the reel,its the line assembly.Most likely the qorm gear dog was worn or there was dirty grease in the worm gear.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 01:49 PM   #18
islandbass

Glad you got to see it first.
Old 01-27-09, 03:37 PM   #19
cassidyta

Oh well, that is why I like craigslist. It is always an inspection and face to face purchase.
PnJ. It did not appear to be the worm gear. I could hear a click inside of the reel. I asked to look inside and the seller was not open to that idea. That is when I knew there was no deal in my future on this one.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.