Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-11, 02:23 AM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Closing up shop

Well after a few months of debating whether it was the right thing to do or not, Britney and I decided to close up ThunderStruck Jigs for a while. While we were making a little money off of it, we just weren't enjoying it like we did when it started. Since Lake was born I found myself wanting to spend less time building jigs for customers and wanting to spend more time wrestling and playing with Lake. It really came down to the fact that it just wasn't as much fun as it once was and if we weren't enjoying it then there wasn't much point on continuing. We decided to take a little break and later on we may revisit the possibilities of starting it back up. I started making jigs for my own use years back and it grew into a business that found us meeting a lot of new people, many of whom we are proud to call friends. I will keep building jigs for myself and friends but I am going to lay off of the business end for a while and take a break. I want to thank each and every one of you who gave us your business in the past, and I truly hope that our jigs met your expectations because we always did our best to deliver a top quality product.
Old 02-14-11, 07:39 AM   #2
keithdog

Kory, I fully understand pal. If your heart isn't into it and you want to refocus your life, then thats what you should do. I'm sure Lake will appreciate it.
Old 02-14-11, 09:43 AM   #3
bkeenom
BassFishin.Com Member

It is hard to balance it some times. I run 10-20 orders per week through Whopper Baits. Some are easy and in stock and others are custom and time consuming. these are the ones that keep me in the shop late at night. Whatever choice you make, it is the right one as long as it makes you happy.
bkeenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 10:17 AM   #4
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't blame you a bit, Kory. Having tried to run a single proprietor business myself in the past, I know what a hassle it can be. The main lesson I learned was that turning a hobby into a business is a good way to take the pleasure out of a hobby.

Also, anything that takes time away from you and your family being together is something to avoid, IMO. Your son will grow up far too fast anyway, and you don't want to miss the good times you can share NOW.

So, thanks for the enlightening videos and the quality products you have provided. You have done the fishing community a service, I believe.

Harvey
HarveysMinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 11:11 AM   #5
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You may come back even stronger when Lake gets old to enough to build em with yall.
Thunderstuck jigs and wholesale Revos=)...Think about it.lol

It can be a p.i.t.a to work full time,family,and try to run a business out of home..Ive been finding this out over the last year.
But I strongly agree with if your heart aint into it,and its not fun...Whats the point?
Good luck Kory!..and thanks for the awesome jigs,they are truly the best FB jigs Ive bought

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 02-14-11 at 01:33 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 11:26 AM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I can completely understand your situation Kory. Running small business' is more times than not a real pain. I hope you have a good time with your little one, and get to spend more time enjoying what you want to do!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 11:54 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Thank you all for the kind words, and I am glad you understand. Although we are closing up shop for a while, if you ever run into a special color you need that you can't get anywhere else I will be more than happy to try and help you out. I won't mind doing a little of this on a once in a while basis.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 12:53 PM   #8
Bassboss

Dang, sorry to hear that korry. I never got to use any of them jigs, and wish I had when I had the chance!
Old 02-14-11, 01:18 PM   #9
WatterBoy

Hey Kory, it's cool to see that you have your priorities in the right order. And like the other guys have said, if the enjoyment level wasn't there for you any longer, that's when it's time to make the decision you did. I was planning to order some jigs from you for this season so I could finally try to learn how to fish jigs, so from my selfish personal standpoint, it's a bummer you're closing up. But I have no doubt in my mind you're making the right decision, and I wish you, Britney and Lake all the best as you close up this chapter, at least for now anyway, in your life.

Dean
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 02:00 PM   #10
Jrob78

Sounds like you have made the best decision for you and your family. When and if you decide to start back up again, just know you have a built in customer base! You made a great jig, I'm going to have to be extra careful with the ones I have left!

If you have any leftover stock you need to get rid of, let me know.
Old 02-14-11, 02:08 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sometimes the right decisions are the hardest ones to make. You'll be glad you got to spend more time with Lake and Britney when Lake is all grown up and you're an old fart!

BB
Old 02-14-11, 02:10 PM   #12
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
. . .

If you have any leftover stock you need to get rid of, let me know.
Ditto for me!
Old 02-14-11, 02:38 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Jrob and WatterBoy, I sent you guys a pm.
Old 02-14-11, 03:37 PM   #14
screwballl

I understand, it takes quite a bit of time and energy to keep a business going. I was actually looking at them a while back and never had the money to get any ordered (finances have been tough this past year).

Whenever you decide to kick it back up, let us know!
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 03:42 PM   #15
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Jrob and WatterBoy, I sent you guys a pm.
Thanks, Kory. I sent you one back.
Old 02-14-11, 05:12 PM   #16
CMorg

Dude wtf ? I was waiting patiently for those flippin' jigs.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 05:25 PM   #17
MississippiBoy

I hate to hear that, Kory. I know you'd mentioned something about it, maybe on the chat one night or something. Making money is good, but it's definitely not worth losing so much time with your family. And it's really a shame because you make some damn fine jigs...
Old 02-14-11, 06:37 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Dude wtf ? I was waiting patiently for those flippin' jigs.
I know you were dude and I appreciate it. In fact that is another part of the whole deal that lead to my burn out. I had several prostaffers who over promised and under delivered and I didn't get the support from them that I thought I would. I had a guy who was supposed to be building that flippin jig for about 2 years now. I was as fair and descent to that guy as I could be and it lead me down a dead end road. I promised him that I would not rush him into finishing it because I wanted it to be right when it was done. I told him to keep me up to date on where he was at with it but in no way did I want him to get it back to me in any way other than as perfect as he could get it. For a few months he was really good about keeping me up to date and in fact at one point he told me that it was almost ready. Now a year and a half later I can't get a response out of him and that frustration alone was enough to make me consider doing away with the prostaff altogether, which I considered. But even if I just did away with the prostaff the problem of not wanting to do it anymore was still there and in the end there was just one way of fixing that. I will be ordering myself some flippin heads from the company that was pouring for me and when I do I will look you up and give you a shot at a few of them if you want.

Thanks for all the support guys, it really helps me know that I am doing the right thing for my family and myself.
Old 02-14-11, 06:56 PM   #19
bamabassman

taking a break and enjoying your son is FAR more important than the jig company right now kory. sometime in the future, when lake is older and can help, i am sure the 2 or 3 or 4 (if and when ya'll decide to have another baby) of you guys decide to give it a go again. it'll be even more fun. and hopefully more profitable too. we can wait pal. raise oyur son, oyu're a great dad........even if ya do come from mizzo. hahahaha.
Old 02-14-11, 07:29 PM   #20
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I know you were dude and I appreciate it. In fact that is another part of the whole deal that lead to my burn out. I had several prostaffers who over promised and under delivered and I didn't get the support from them that I thought I would. I had a guy who was supposed to be building that flippin jig for about 2 years now. I was as fair and descent to that guy as I could be and it lead me down a dead end road. I promised him that I would not rush him into finishing it because I wanted it to be right when it was done. I told him to keep me up to date on where he was at with it but in no way did I want him to get it back to me in any way other than as perfect as he could get it. For a few months he was really good about keeping me up to date and in fact at one point he told me that it was almost ready. Now a year and a half later I can't get a response out of him and that frustration alone was enough to make me consider doing away with the prostaff altogether, which I considered. But even if I just did away with the prostaff the problem of not wanting to do it anymore was still there and in the end there was just one way of fixing that. I will be ordering myself some flippin heads from the company that was pouring for me and when I do I will look you up and give you a shot at a few of them if you want.

Thanks for all the support guys, it really helps me know that I am doing the right thing for my family and myself.
Yes sir , I always did want some of you jigs. But I really didnt think I had a need for football heads. Now last year I fished alot of riprap , and now realize I could have used some of those football heads... But yeah , look me up please. Thanks , and enjoy your free time !!
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 08:12 PM   #21
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Yes sir , I always did want some of you jigs. But I really didnt think I had a need for football heads. Now last year I fished alot of riprap , and now realize I could have used some of those football heads... But yeah , look me up please. Thanks , and enjoy your free time !!
To be honest in my experience a roundhead will come through rock alot better than a football head. Football heads really shine for me when I am dragging them in areas that have scattered rock. I don't know how soon it will be when I order the flippin heads but I will get ahold of you when I get them.
Old 02-14-11, 09:47 PM   #22
bcklash

Kory I gave up fishing for a few years when our sons started playing little sports. We would go every now and then, but when you have two sons playing sports year round there wasn't much time for fishing. I don't regret it one bit. Now I go fishing whenever and wherever I want with the best fishing partner a father could have.

Yes I think you made a good decision, you won't regret it
Old 02-14-11, 10:12 PM   #23
woody

Kory, you have my support. Family comes first.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 01:19 PM   #24
everettvet

Kory,
Good choice!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 02:41 PM   #25
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Kory,

FWIW, you're doing the right thing. They're only little once and in the blink of an eye, thery're off to school etc. Good luck and enjoy!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.