Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-10, 09:51 AM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default BassCat Sabre

Anyone ever fished from BassCat's Sabre? Specifically a 2001, which I believe is 18ft? I have an opportunity to buy one in very good condition without a motor for around 3-4k with a trailer that is in mint shape, the good news is that I have a friend who once owned a boat shop who has a 250HDPI (not sure on year) that he recently rebuilt and is offering to equip the engine and get her ready for water for 6k...would you do this? The boat itselft includes: batteries,trip bank charger, Lowrance finders(can't remember which models but they were upgraded a few years ago, I believe one is a x135) and a 70lb Minn Kota...

I've been thinkin' of selling my 20' Savage due to last year's fuel consumption from truck and boat...it's just too much boat to lug around and seems to be a little heavy for my F150. I really miss my old 18footer and feel that it was the right size for me. With the 18footer I could always manage to get into small creeks and shallower water and maneuver the boat perfectly..not so much with the 20 footer. Don't get me wrong it's been a hell of a boat, it runs like a champ and cuts through waves like a hot knife through butter. This may sound strange, but I think I'm most comfortable with 18'..I can take a beating on the waves (I'm still young) and I only weigh 165 and my partner is about the same so size is really a non issue.

So, what do you guys think? Would you make the change?
Old 01-13-10, 12:03 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I looked at them a little when I bought my boat a few years ago. If there was a dealer close to me it might have been my top choice. The only thing I see that I didn't like is the front deck step is inset, I wish it had a full deck and step beside the console. Maybe there is an extension available?

Only thing I see with your great deal is that boat is rated at a max 175HP motor. Personally I am not afraid of overpowering a little, but 250 is a big jump up.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 01:33 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You won't be able to insure the Sabre with a 250HP on it, and if the water cops check you out for any reason you may have some problems. Not to mention the transom may not hold up. Check the rating plate, the '01 may have been rated for 175HP, most are running a 150HP.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-10, 02:17 PM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sorry, the HDPI is a 150.. Sorry about that.
Old 01-13-10, 03:35 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have never fished from a Sabre but I have fished from Bass Cats and they are one of the best boats on the water. The only boat I have ever been in that has a comparable ride is a Champion but all things being equal the Bass Cat is a much faster boat. I really like how their lay outs and they are very good fishing platforms. I am looking at buying a new boat myself and Bass Cat is at the top of my list, although I am looking at Cougars and Pumas I am sure you would be happy with the Sabre. You might also look into the Pantera P4, it is regarded by most guys as being one of the best bass boats ever made (if I remember right it is actually more expensive for BCB to make the P4 than the Cougar and Pumas).
Old 01-13-10, 07:29 PM   #6
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Check the rating plate, the '01 may have been rated for 175HP, most are running a 150HP.
All Sabres are rated up to 175 HP, they'll hit 70+ with one. Majority run the 150, few less mph, 62-67, but a little better on gas.
Basscat7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.