Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-07, 10:45 PM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Went a round with big mama… 08-01-2007

I had a 15-minute stint and was riding on a gut feeling on the way to an interview that big mama was going to be under the dock at a nearby lake.

I have not seen her since last year but I had a feeling she’d around the dock this time of year, as is usually the case. Big mama is about a 5 lb bass, which is big for my neck of the woods.

I was armed with only the worst spinning rod rigged for the drop shot in my arsenal a 2-piece Rapala but I guess a crappy rod is better than none at all.

I tossed my drop shot rig by the pilings that she frequently patrols and she slowly crept onto the scene. As usual, she just stared at the lure, investigated and inspected my Aaron’s Magic Roboworm. She must have had a zero strike zone because I drag it in front of her and the only movement made was with her fins. I dropped down a 5” yum dinger, a longer Roboworm and even my go to Sniper Snub. She hardly flinched even when I bumped with the lure and weight.

Unlocking the secret of a lockjawed bass seems to be a puzzle I cannot seem to solve. I realized that time was against me and that I didn’t have everything I would have liked at my disposal in terms of other rods and gear, but nonetheless, Big Mama 1, Islandbass 0.

I am open to hearing any tips or advice you all might have about cracking the lockjawed bass enigma. Thanks!
Old 08-01-07, 10:53 PM   #2
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default big mama

keep trying.........until u succeed........
sooner or later mama will respond. i have caught the same big fish in my local hole about three times on three different lures. on different occasions. try a crank, fluke, spinnerbait, buzzbait. u just might get lucky. and good luck.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 11:15 PM   #3
bassbooger

If she can see you, then that may be your problem. I worked on a bass one time for 2 hours; threw everythign in my box at him. Even hit him in the nose with a lizard and he didn't even flinch.

Good luck with it though!!!
Old 08-01-07, 11:28 PM   #4
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

You have to give Big Mama what she likes!!! You have to work that worm into her zone until she responds!!

I know I know, anyways on a serious note you need to make sure she cant see your for starters, then you need to go for the reaction strike after trying and trying again and determining that she is lockjawed. I would have thrown one of a few things: a spinnerbait, casted well beyond where she is and reeled in right past her as fast as you can!! If that fails, get a buzzbait into the water. Buzz it rigth over her fast. If that fails try a crankbait, again with a fast retrieve. If that fails, well than I dont know what to tell you, other than to throw a stikbait right into her face, and just let it sit there, and sit there, and sit there... untill she either leaves or grabs it up.
Old 08-02-07, 08:39 AM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Try a minnow and fish a few hours before sunrise.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 03:00 PM   #6
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I get the chance to sight fish for bass whenever I want where I live because of the clear waters, and I've learned a couple things:

1.Persistence is THE key.
2.Try taking a small, maybe three inch jerkbait, put a split-shot weight above it, (just big enough to make the jerkbait sink quickly) and dance the jerkbait in front of her mouth, and maybe even bump her face with it. If you keep doing this and don't stop, I guarantee you'll catch her. Set the hook quickly though, because she will spit it quickly. She won't bite out of hunger, but because of aggravation.
3.Also try taking a spiderjig or something with lots of water resistance, texas rig it with a bullet weight, and bump her nose with it.
4.Sometimes this does and sometimes this doesn't matter, but like BassBooger said, don't be visible to the fish.

I hope this helps you catch that bass.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 01:39 AM   #7
islandbass

Thanks guys! I don't think the fish saw me but perhaps I am wrong. I think being limited to only one presentation and in time, 15 minutes didn't help my cause.

That is some great advice by all. Thanks!
Old 08-03-07, 07:39 AM   #8
brushhog

The young one gives great advice... I've got to repeat that if you do get her to bite it out of aggravation set the hook quick...

Also if you've got two rods set up, try this, throw a stik bait just passed her and present it the way you normally do. after she ignores it pick up your other rod and throw a spinnerbait passed her and buzz it by here. Give the spinnerbait a couple runs and then go back to the stik... Be patient and repeat the process. This has worked for me a few times. Good Luck, go get her and post a pict!
Old 08-09-07, 12:09 AM   #9
basschamp4

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post

I had a 15-minute stint and was riding on a gut feeling on the way to an interview that big mama was going to be under the dock at a nearby lake.

I have not seen her since last year but I had a feeling she’d around the dock this time of year, as is usually the case. Big mama is about a 5 lb bass, which is big for my neck of the woods.

I was armed with only the worst spinning rod rigged for the drop shot in my arsenal a 2-piece Rapala but I guess a crappy rod is better than none at all.

I tossed my drop shot rig by the pilings that she frequently patrols and she slowly crept onto the scene. As usual, she just stared at the lure, investigated and inspected my Aaron’s Magic Roboworm. She must have had a zero strike zone because I drag it in front of her and the only movement made was with her fins. I dropped down a 5” yum dinger, a longer Roboworm and even my go to Sniper Snub. She hardly flinched even when I bumped with the lure and weight.

Unlocking the secret of a lockjawed bass seems to be a puzzle I cannot seem to solve. I realized that time was against me and that I didn’t have everything I would have liked at my disposal in terms of other rods and gear, but nonetheless, Big Mama 1, Islandbass 0.

I am open to hearing any tips or advice you all might have about cracking the lockjawed bass enigma. Thanks!
that was quite a detailed description how could you see all of that even under water
Old 08-09-07, 07:44 PM   #10
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Clear water and polarized sunglasses.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.