Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-07, 11:17 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Getting a map

My dad and I found this quarry. The visibility is 25 feet, and it's very deep and rocky. He caught a near four pound smallmouth out of it, and I caught a near four pound largemouth out of it. We're starting to figure this place out catching bigger and more fish. Today, I found this magical spot. I cast out a 'trap as far as I can, and I catch one fish after another. I don't have too much reasoning other than the fact that I saw a little bit of floating grass around it, but my theory is that it's a massive isolated clump of grass. I need a map to see what is down there. I can't find any pictures of the quarry when there wasn't any water in it either. Is there any way possible to find a contour map? We are going to buy a canoe sometime soon so that we can go where boats can't. We'll mount a depthfinder on it.

Thanks
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 01:12 PM   #2
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

A map wouldnt show a large clump of grass. In fact it would show nothing under the surface. What you need is an underwater topographic map, ask local bait and tackle shops if this quarry has any. If not there isnt much you can do other than scope it out and run over the area a few times with a depth finder, see if it isnt a creek channel, hump, drop off, etc etc. There is soo much that it could be, and so many reasons fish will hold there.
Old 08-08-07, 02:48 PM   #3
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

In this really deep clear water try a drop shot rig. Me and my Brother fish Strip Pits a good bit and the Dropshot on about 8lb test P-line Flouroclear is owning them!
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 02:51 PM   #4
jooleyen

Yeah. I used a dropshot. It works alright. I only catch the small ones on it though. I catch the big ones on jigs and crankbaits.
Old 08-08-07, 07:19 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Joolz, I think you might be out of luck since it is a flooded quarry. I doubt there is a topo map of it.
Old 08-08-07, 07:33 PM   #6
JB

About all you can do is grid criss-cross the water with a depth finder and plot out depths as you go. Or, ask the owner or people that have fished it alot for areas of depth change...many times gravel pits and quarrys have humps in
them that hold fish, and usually one side is not as deep and has a road along the edges for the dump trucks to get in and out of.
Also, you can use the satalite image from maps like weatherchannel.com and zero in on the area, the body of water, and then close to the water surface, sometimes you can see some depth changes in color if they took the picture on a clear day.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 08:11 PM   #7
keithdog

Joolz, go to this website. www.sportsmansconnection.com They are located in Wisconsin. This company sells books containing the kind of maps your looking for. I have one for the lakes in northern Indiana. It's a great book, loaded with lake topo maps. You can get one for the lakes in your state. If there is a map of the lake, it will probably be in that book. But I agree with Reb. I doubt you'll find a map of that water your talking about. The books contain lots of good information besides just maps. It gives you descriptions of each lake, kinds of fish in the lake, public access points, all that kind of info you will find helpful. You can also call this company at this number. 1-800-777-7461 If you have a local WalMart, look there in the fishing dept. That is where I bought mine.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 08:13 PM   #8
Super Fluke

It's a hump, that's why the grass is growing
Old 08-09-07, 07:08 AM   #9
3dkicker

Here is your source of information
http://www.usgs.gov/
Should find a current map of the area. If they don't have it then I don't know who else would.
Old 08-09-07, 12:51 PM   #10
jooleyen

Yeah Superfluke. That's what I was thinking.

Thanks all. I can't find a map.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.