Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-05, 10:54 AM   #1
jbfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hey Guys Help me out!

Hey guys, im thinking about purchasing a new boat. Well, not exacly new. There is a guy wanting to sell me a 1989 Bullet boat. It is a 21 foot boat. It has a 200 horsepower Evinrude(1990) model. great trolling moter and the works. The only catch is that it has some damage under the bottom of it. Im not real good with boats, but he said it needs some fiberglass work under it where some lamination had been peeled off of the bottom. Any of you know about how much this would cost at the most? Anything will help! Thanks!
jbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-05, 07:29 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ask these guys
fastbass.com
there is only about 75 or more bullet owners in there..

zooker
Old 08-29-05, 07:40 PM   #3
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

jb, Its difficult to say without looking at it, but here the rate is $74.00 per hour labor rate. The lamination is actual the hull structure,usually balsa wood layered with a fiberglass mesh and resin and if the lamination is peeled off , it will take some one who has specialized in repairing it correctly. If water got in between the foam and hull , the foam has to be cut out and replaced after the hull is repaired, or the water will blister the repair job when the resin cures from the moisture. Realistically your repair bill will be too high to pay alot for the boat, but I may be wrong, ask if you can take it to a repair shop for a actual estimate, and then decide if its worth it.Please don't let me scare you from it, I just want you to be aware of whats involved to fix it right for the long haul or for as long as it takes to get it paid for without paying on a dead horse. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-05, 10:38 PM   #4
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I dont think id go through all that trouble just do like i did i didnt go lookin for a boat and the boat ended up comin to me and i bought it
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-05, 05:08 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Jb from past experience in fixing boats (I do this as a hobby and also makes some serious fishin money) unless you can get this boat for practically nothing I would steer clear of the boat. Delamination issues on a hull are 90% of the time much more than they appear. Imagine this. The glass starts to delaminate from the inner core and you dont notice it till it starts to take on water and or see it physically. Now you dont know how long it has been like this and you have been riding around at 60mph + pushing water between the outer skin and the inner core. Get the picture. Delaminating hulls imho are better left to the experts and 90% of the time I use them for the spare parts.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-05, 02:50 PM   #6
jbfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I Think Im Getting It For Cheep, But I May Be Wrong. He Said He Would Put The Motor On The Boat And Include The Trailor For 3500.00. Does This Sound Like A Good Deal On The Boat, Or Will It Be Too Much After The Repairs?
Old 08-31-05, 05:50 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Ok now that you gave me some numbers on the packagae I can better help ya. Being it is a Bullet it is a more desirable hull to have imho. The motor is worth almost that if you are a OMC fan. The hull will cost you approx now remember this I cant see the damage jsut going by what you have posted. If I had a pic of the damage I could be more specefic. Iy will cost anywhere from approx 2-3000 to repair the hull by a EXPERT. This is not a repair to try and do without VERY good knowledge of glass and boats. Now after you factor in the cost of the boat, the repair, and it being what it is you will have a say $6000 boat that you could sell for say $9000. So its up to you. You will love the performance of the Bullet. VERY fast especially if there has been any mods done to the motor. Also you have to remember that that year Bullet is lighter than the ones they sell to the public now. If I had the money and the time I would go for it. Weigh out your options,look at the interior of the boat and make sure you like it is my opinion.
Old 08-31-05, 05:53 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Oh yea forgot to say Take Pig an Jigs advise. Take it to a shop that ccan handle that repair. Sounds like pnj has done some boat work himself and he knows what he is talkin bout. The bullets do use balsa core and it aint cheap.
Old 08-31-05, 05:49 PM   #9
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

laser pnj has work many years in boat manafacturing..

zooker
Old 09-01-05, 10:52 AM   #10
Unregistered

Ok thanks guys. I may go for it. Im going to go ask the guy if I can do what you all said. (take it to a shop). Hopefully I can find an Expert to fix it for a couple grand or less. Thanks for your all's help.
Old 09-01-05, 02:44 PM   #11
jbfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry guys, that was me. I forgot to sign in.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.