Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-11, 01:21 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Rod Options?

As some of yall know, my Cabelas XML broke, and it's replaceable under warranty. I'm getting it replaced probably this weekend. Cabelas said I can replace it with any rod at, or less than 139.99 (or more, I just pay the difference, but I'd rather not do that with other then about 10 15 bucks).

I've got it narrowed down to these (7' MH F, open to suggestions though, lakes are pretty weedy)

Cabelas XML
Falcon LowRider
Abu Garcia Verdict (If the EHS handle feels OK)
Shimano Crucial (if on sale)
St.Croix Avid (if on sale)

It'll be an everything but crank crankbaits rod, but the bait's the be using the most are as fallowed:
Senkos, Frogs, Buzzbaits, Texas rigs/jigs. I'll be spooling it up with 30lb braid.

Which rod do you think offers the most sensitivity (of the regular priced ones), most power, and best casting.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-11, 02:52 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Only 1 I can speak for is the Avid from a blank point of view. I built a rod on the SC III MH-F blank and love it. I hear a lot of the guys buzzing about the Low-Riders too. It was on my list before I started building.
Old 06-03-11, 03:41 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

I really like Falcon Rods, in fact I have a ton of them in both the original series and the Caras. Honestly for some reason the Low Riders just never felt good to me, I don't know why but it's just one of those deals that what one guy loves the next guy won't like. The Caras I have are just awesome rods and for the money I doubt you can beat the originals. One other rod you should look at is the Abu-Garcia Veritas, I bought one a while back and so far I love it.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 04:53 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Only one I've used is the Crucial. They're great rods for the price. I'd also look into the Powell Max. Not sure if Cabela's still carries them, but I have seen the occasional one in the bargain cave. Also, check out the Dobyns Savvy Series, which Cabela's does carry now.

BB
Old 06-03-11, 06:26 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Only one I've used is the Crucial. They're great rods for the price. I'd also look into the Powell Max. Not sure if Cabela's still carries them, but I have seen the occasional one in the bargain cave. Also, check out the Dobyns Savvy Series, which Cabela's does carry now.

BB
Thanks! I completely forgot about the Powell rods! Those are definitely some renowned rods. I'll have to see if they have them too!
Old 06-03-11, 07:37 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Doesn't help you at Cabela's, but Shimano Crucials are 25% off at The Hook Up Tackle.

BB
Old 06-03-11, 07:38 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Doesn't help you at Cabela's, but Shimano Crucials are 25% off at The Hook Up Tackle.

BB
Jeeze, thanks biggins!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-04-11 at 03:18 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 07:47 PM   #8
Tavery5

Avid is the best rod of the group in my opinion, but you are going to have to find one heck of a sale to get one at 140 dollars. Of the remaining rods, the Crucial and the Falcon are in the next tier, I don't know anything about the XML or the Verdict. Most of the ABU rods have allot of good qualities, but in my opinion they make better reaction type rods than they do contact type. Good Luck
Old 06-03-11, 09:48 PM   #9
keithdog

I have both XML and Crucial rods so I'm only going to comment on those primarily. I've used them both and choosing between them woould be tough as both are excellent rods. I do think that my Crucial is a bit more sensitive. It's a strong rod and has a life time warrenty. As for the Verdict, I've neveer used one. I have been using a Vendetta thoough and I can only assume the Verdict is every bit as good of a rod if not better. The Vendetta I have has been a great rod. I have a 7'3# H/XF version for my froggin. Couldn't be happier. Although I will say that in my opinion, the Vendetta XF action is closer to fast.
Old 06-03-11, 09:56 PM   #10
BigBassin144

I'd definitely take into consideration the warranties on the rods.

Shimano's warranty is one of the best on the market. Powell and Dobyns also both have good warranties.

BB
Old 06-03-11, 11:26 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
I'd definitely take into consideration the warranties on the rods.

Shimano's warranty is one of the best on the market. Powell and Dobyns also both have good warranties.

BB
Definitly one of the things I'm really looking at as well. XML's 25 yr warranty aint to shaddy either.
Old 06-04-11, 07:53 AM   #12
lilmule

Shimano mh with a fast or mod fast tip is a good frog rod.And wont wear you out using it.
Sort of the sleeper of the group not the looker just the preformer.
After that the Dobyns,while I dont own one met him at paris landing and saw his rods up close,if those made are like his were they are a good feel in the hands.Being white again not the looker.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-04-11 at 08:08 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 09:54 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
After that the Dobyns,while I dont own one met him at paris landing and saw his rods up close,if those made are like his were they are a good feel in the hands.Being white again not the looker.
I think you're talking about the Duckett Rods, not Dobyns. Dobyns Rod perform AND look great!

BB
Old 06-04-11, 12:45 PM   #14
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

the verdict is heavy. The veritas feels way better. I carolina rig with my partners veritas sometimes and its a 7'6" MH fast. You wont go wrong with the crucial either. The st croix and the lowrider are both good rods also. Hard to go wrong with any of them. Ive never bought a rod that i couldnt touch. I always have to put it in my hand. Id suggest you do the same, and just see what fits
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 02:26 AM   #15
islandbass

Given your choices, I'd go the the crucial. I have one myself. Even in 20 degree weather in the winter, with frozen and beyond numb hands and fingers, I felt the take of a smallie that was 55' down, dragging a hula grub on a 1/2 oz football jig. I did mention my hands and fingers were numb, right? They were so frozen and numb that I had to turn my reel's handle with only my palm and set the hook by placing the rod in bend of my wrist. I couldn't close my fingers enough to turn the handle or hold the rod normally.

Anyway, if I could feel that bite, in that physical condition, I think that says something about how sensitive the Crucial is. Club Crucial is waiting for you, bud.
Old 06-06-11, 08:45 AM   #16
lilmule

Big bassin your right,sometimes im off a bit,Duckett rod bet it was the white rod remark that gave that away.
Met him at Paris Landing last year,even has red shoes to match his outfit,but heck of a nice guy.

He was standing not 10 ft away letting some heft and feel those rods.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.