Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-11, 08:57 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Anyone with concealed carry permit

This is worth reading. This guy was very lucky. http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=664990
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 09:24 PM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I read that one over there as well. I've wanted to get my permit but my Sig isn't really that small to carry. Great shooter, just a little big to conceal.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 09:29 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

I was going to get mine a month or so back but the guy I want to teach my class won't be able to do it until next month, so I guess next month I will be getting mine. I will carry my Springfield XD sub compact.
Old 04-06-11, 09:30 PM   #4
nofearengineer

What a knucklehead....

If you're going to carry a round in the chamber, you have to be extra, extra careful. That holster was a trip to the morgue waiting to happen.

By the way...forget concealed.....I have a plain ol' carry permit.
Old 04-06-11, 09:35 PM   #5
MIbasser

I should take the class to get the extra training more then anything. I would like a sub compact but it's not in the budget right now (would love a Sig 380). But my Pro 40 works really nice!
Old 04-06-11, 09:38 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I should take the class to get the extra training more then anything. I would like a sub compact but it's not in the budget right now (would love a Sig 380). But my Pro 40 works really nice!
Yeah I hear ya. My XD is a .40 S&W and I love it. But I would love to buy a sub compact 9MM or a .38 for Britney since she is taking the class with me, but she isn't sure if she wants one or not. Geeez, women lol. I told her that just because she has a gun doesn't mean she has to carry it but it's hard to carry a gun you don't have.
Old 04-06-11, 09:49 PM   #7
Jrob78

Holy crap, that's scary! He was very lucky indeed. For anyone that carries, make sure your holster works like it should, you should be able to safely re-holster with one hand, in any position. Your carry holster should retain it's form 100% and should have complete pistol retention when held upside down.

I carry a Glock 27, always with a round in the chamber, no manual safety. I carry in a IWB Kydex holster made by Comptac. The holster is completely rigid and completely covers the trigger. It also fits the gun perfectly, the gun "snaps" into place and the tension on the gun is adjustable. The holster you carry your gun in is absolutely critical for both accessibility when you really need it and for safety, illustrated by that dude's close call.

I used to work with a guy that was cleaning his XD .45 and accidentally shot himself in the thigh from about 18". He didn't realize he had a round in the chamber and pulled the trigger to remove the slide. His wife and friend were sitting at the kitchen table with him when it happened. He made a full recovery. I will look tomorrow on my work computer and find the pictures of the x-rays, craziest thing you've ever seen.

I highly recommend Comptac holsters. I have turned several people on to them and they are all happy customers now. They make great concealed carry holsters.
http://www.comp-tac.com/

Be safe and don't shoot your eye out!
Old 04-06-11, 09:57 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

I read that, too. He's an idiot for continuing to use an obviously defective, worn out holster. If you have to be careful with the way you holster your weapon, it's time to replace it, not try to make do. A good holster isn't cheap, but neither is a trip to the ER with a hole in your leg.

And what's all this talk about CCW classes? Communists...
Old 04-06-11, 10:07 PM   #9
keithdog

Mine recently expired, so I'm going to obtain the lifetime permit soon.
Old 04-07-11, 12:48 PM   #10
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If he really knew that the holster had this problem and continued to use it, he is a tool.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 01:29 PM   #11
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

First off this guy is a complete IDIOT.....I carry a Springfield XD9 Sub compact in a Blackhawk plastic holster. NEVER I REPEAT NEVER carry concealed in a leather holster or that what we just witnessed can and will happen. In the Serpa holster that I use there is no way that can happen because there is no flex in the holster. A very valuable lesson to us all.

Why Carry? Because we can!!!!

Jerry
Old 04-07-11, 01:42 PM   #12
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
First off this guy is a complete IDIOT.....I carry a Springfield XD9 Sub compact in a Blackhawk plastic holster. NEVER I REPEAT NEVER carry concealed in a leather holster or that what we just witnessed can and will happen. In the Serpa holster that I use there is no way that can happen because there is no flex in the holster. A very valuable lesson to us all.

Why Carry? Because we can!!!!

Jerry
While I agree that some leather holsters are prone to this, LEATHER is not the reason this happened. It was/is the design of the leather holster.

I have carried my duty weapon, backup weapon and off duty concealed in leather holsters for 7 years with 0 (Zero) problems. My weapons of choice are Glock 22's and a 27.
Old 04-07-11, 03:34 PM   #13
Jrob78

This is what happens when you aren't careful with a handgun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CASE^CASH^_CR_1_0000.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	6532   Click image for larger version

Name:	CASE^CASH^_CR_1_0002.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	6533   Click image for larger version

Name:	CASE^CASH_CR_1_0000.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	6534  
Old 04-07-11, 03:40 PM   #14
Fishnngolfn

Ouch!!!!!!
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:27 PM   #15
walkeraviator

Jrob... Good call on the Comptac. I carry my M&P compact in an MTAC everyday. The leather is nice and broke in so that it conforms to my body, but at no point am i in danger of anything getting near the trigger. I too carry with one in the pipe, and an M&P is just like a glock... my safety is my finger (keep booger hook away from bang switch)... I too have a friend who had to patch a hole in his roof thanks to those crazy Croats and their XD's... pulling the trigger as part of diassembly is just dumb...

As for teh kydex holsters... the Blackhawk serpa is a great holster, but make sure you practice drawing the weapon. You have to get used to depressing the release. I personally dont like my Serpa as it sticks out too far from my body. I am looking at a Galco Concealable Belt holster as it fits closer to my body.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...3459&GunID=329

Both the MTAC and the Galco have more than enough trigger coverage to prevent this mans issue. And if either of them showed that much wear, it would have been in the trash.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 10:23 PM   #16
bamabassman

no handgun, no problem. why carry a little pistol when a full grown shotgun and m-1 carbine will do much better adn longer distance?

i DO want a handgun, for home safety reasons. and when i do get one, i will have a permit to carry or whatever it is here in bama.
Old 04-09-11, 02:01 AM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
no handgun, no problem. why carry a little pistol when a full grown shotgun and m-1 carbine will do much better adn longer distance?

i DO want a handgun, for home safety reasons. and when i do get one, i will have a permit to carry or whatever it is here in bama.
Because it's a little tough to conceal a shotgun or a M-1.

In the home is the perfect place for a home defense shotgun. Should you wake up in the middle of the night with danger in the house it's a lot easier to protect yourself with a shotgun while still groggy headed and half asleep than it would be a handgun. Shotguns don't have to be aimed as much as they need to be pointed.

They claim that the one sound that will stop an intruder in their tracks is a pump shotgun racking a round in the dark and not knowing where it's at.
Old 04-09-11, 02:30 AM   #18
BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I was going to get mine a month or so back but the guy I want to teach my class won't be able to do it until next month, so I guess next month I will be getting mine. I will carry my Springfield XD sub compact.

Even though that is a solid weapon, I find it still a bit bulky even for concealed carry IMO.

Check out the Khar p-380 or an LCP, Ruger. I think they are perfect for the ultimate in CC for more form fitting clothing. On the other hand, if you wear bigger shirts, untucked, just keep a 1911 on me at all times - lol
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 07:46 AM   #19
walkeraviator

Just remember the menatality needs to change when carrying a pocket .380 instead of a larger round gun. With a 9mm or .40 or bigger, two to center mass and a failure drill if needed is the mindset. But with a .380 or smaller round you should simply think to empty the magazine into center mass.

Im not sure how well it will fit in the pocket, but teh new LC9 from ruger and some other single stack 9mm's may be the way to go for small concealability and a round with some punch.

One thing to note is that FBI statistics show that the average number of rounds fired in an armed confrontation in law enforcement is less than 2 rounds. So why not carry a compact 1911? Single stack weapon means it is thing and small for concealment, and usinga .45 means that your two rounds will do maximum hydrostatic damage in impact.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 07:50 AM   #20
lilmule

Most of the problem with the holster was in design,the rest with the owner for picking it and using it,a lot of the problems stemming from its compactness.
I as well when carrying sort of condition 1,round in the chamber but back to half cock am old fashioned prefer single action,semi auto not double action With grip saftys and on half cock it wont go off until I make it go off.
Polish radom,9mm on a 45 frame and even on a 130 lb guy isnt real large,as slender compared to a normal glock.Prefer small of the back than side.
Finish trigger set as pulled,it wont go off prior can drop from a 3 story building like any of the 45 govt series.This is same frame just less caliber and easy to control as a result.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 08:10 AM   #21
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post

Something like this Bama??

Old 04-09-11, 09:10 AM   #22
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Just remember the menatality needs to change when carrying a pocket .380 instead of a larger round gun. With a 9mm or .40 or bigger, two to center mass and a failure drill if needed is the mindset. But with a .380 or smaller round you should simply think to empty the magazine into center mass.

Im not sure how well it will fit in the pocket, but teh new LC9 from ruger and some other single stack 9mm's may be the way to go for small concealability and a round with some punch.

One thing to note is that FBI statistics show that the average number of rounds fired in an armed confrontation in law enforcement is less than 2 rounds. So why not carry a compact 1911? Single stack weapon means it is thing and small for concealment, and usinga .45 means that your two rounds will do maximum hydrostatic damage in impact.
I agree with this 100%, but I would also add the 9mm in that category. The 9mm is a great round, but really lacks stopping power IMHO. It is not a double tap round...but if you can get three of four rounds in, you're in business.
Old 04-09-11, 10:45 AM   #23
nova385

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I read that one over there as well. I've wanted to get my permit but my Sig isn't really that small to carry. Great shooter, just a little big to conceal.

MIbasser- the permit dose not do you much good in MI other than being able to buy guns without all the running around to the county court- You can not take it to half of the places you would need it-other than in your car. Then do you really want to leave it in your car when you go into a place your not allowed to carry?
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 03:22 PM   #24
bamabassman

hahaha, yes mi.that'll do nicely. i don't want to CONCEAL my gun form an intruder. iw ant him to SEE IT, hear it, and piss in his pants wheni aim it at him. tell him.....go ahead, make my day. LOL!!!
Old 04-09-11, 03:46 PM   #25
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I agree with this 100%, but I would also add the 9mm in that category. The 9mm is a great round, but really lacks stopping power IMHO. It is not a double tap round...but if you can get three of four rounds in, you're in business.
The great debate...

9mm is heads above the .380 and shoulders above the .32 but definitely not the ideal stopping round. The key is carrying a gun that allows for ease of carry, your large caliber won't do a bit of good if it's at home when you need it. Also, if you are confident and proficient with your small round you will be much safer than trying to shoot a flinch inducing large caliber that you can't hit with and can't easily carry. Choosing the right ammo is critical with smaller calibers as well.

I like semi's in the .40's and revolvers in the .30's. A light snubby in .38 makes an excellent pocket gun....if you shoot it well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.