Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-07, 02:10 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Funk story

In my second year of bass guiding I ran an advertisement in the Washington Post. It produced some odd results. Some of which I will touch on later in another story.

One day I get a call and the gent says he and his Dad would like to go fishing and we coordinate a date. He calls the night before and tries to cancel the trip but due to the loss of his deposit decides he will be there in the morning. A big front was due late the next day and the fishing at that time was crazy insane with fish taking lures as fast you could cast. I had a 60 fish day today and I knew with the tides just right they where going to have a 60 fish day too. So next morning they arrive on time and off we go to our first spot. Bam bam bam 12 fish just like that. YES A five minute lull ensues and the tide pulses again and 10 more come to the boat. This time it is 15 minutes before the next tide pulse and the Dad is *****ing about the lack of bites. I mean he is up in my face asking to go to another spot. "Captain you must have more than one spot on this river?" and I said I do but why leave hitting fish?

His response was I pay you to take me fishing and you work for me. Well then sit down and hold on. Off we go to another spot. Bam bam 10 more fish and then the 10 minute lull as the tide pulses. "Got another spot there Captain?" This little dance goes on till late in the day and we have now covered 62 miles of river and the front is upon us. I have warned him and his son that a front was due in and we should run back closer to the dock. He reminded me again it is there trip and they paid for it.

Waves about three feet beat my little boat to a pulp. Jack plate all the way down and engine tilted out to keep the front end up and from digging a wave. A scary ride for those who no nothing about boat handling. I was secure and dry in my rain suit and I knew my boat very well. There was no danger but it required a slow ride with that nose way up. Up and down in the three footers we went. The son turned green and blew lunch into his Dads chest .. Gross… So I just quartered starboard 12 degrees and a big wave cleaned him off. Haha.. Four hours later we arrive at the dock. It is 9 pm and darkness is setting in. The son pays me for there 60 plus fish day and no tip. Dad walks by and says "You’re a good Captain but the fishing is less than desirable here" "Good luck"

Three weeks later the son calls and apologizes for his Dad and wants to book another trip.
He tells me his Dad had a really good time too. I ask what date he wants? Such and such? Oh I am booked on that day. How about such and such? No booked that day too. Finally he gave up and stopped calling.

Capt Mike
Old 03-01-07, 04:19 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

great read! I've never guided for a living but have many stories from tournament guys I've drawn...however when theres money involved for a service it becomes a whole dif story when clients act up..sounds like you handle them pretty well!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 06:50 PM   #3
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would hate to be a guide just because of people like that. If they dont catch a fish on every cast they think its a waste of their money.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.