Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-09, 09:44 AM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Determination pays off...

since the weather has been nasty this week I decided to buckle down and learn how to skip using a baitcaster...I am lucky enough to have a large stream that flows right past my house to practice on, it has a ton of overhang which works out well for dialing in this mythical skill. The setup that I found worked best: Daiwa Megaforce reel and a 6'6" MH action rod.

REEL SETTINGS: The painstaking work of clearing birdsnest after birdsnest gets a little irritating, but Kevin's video really saved me a lot of time in this regard. The reel settings that I found worked best for me where to have the tension knob backed way off to free spool, then turn your brakes up, on the megaforce my setting was on 5-7...

CAST: The cast that I found worked really well was a side arm, I use this cast the majority of the time anyway because it's a quick snap of the wrist, low projectory and little splashdown. The difference with the skip is to make a circle as you follow through with your sidearm...start at 12 O'clock and as you move clockwise with your stroke release at about 9 O'clock and continue to lift your pole tip slowly as the bait skids across the surface...

THUMB: This is probably the most difficult part of the process, you really have to have a feel for the spool and just put enough tension on the line to let it continue its course without impeding the distance. If you have been using a caster for a while you can probably get the hang of this fairly quickly.

LINE: I noticed that skipping with a caster is brutal on the line, I had 10lb mono spooled on my megaforce and after about an hour or so of practice it finally snapped off inside the reel, not sure if it was from the many birdsnests that tangled up or the aggressive nature of the cast and the line rubbin on the guides...also, might note that the line has been on this reel for 2 seasons...I'm thinking that braid wouldn't be a bad choice to pull those hawgs out from under docks and hard to reach places, but flouro will probably be my first choice

AFTER-THOUGHTS: I've always wanted to learn how to make this cast and so far I can skip about 30-40 feet which should be plenty to get deep under docks, I know that spinning gear is probably the best tool for the job, but I'm thinking that having a casting rig will help me pull more fish out of cover and make it easier to adjust my cast since I use mostly baitcasters and usually have only 2 spinning reels rigged up
Old 04-23-09, 10:03 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thanks, I've been wanting to learn! This should help me!
Old 04-23-09, 10:35 AM   #3
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Jason, very good post. I'll print this out and put in my folder.
Old 04-23-09, 01:23 PM   #4
brushhog

Well done, It took me a lot longer to learn, but once you do it sure is handy.
Old 04-23-09, 01:30 PM   #5
OneMoreCast
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OneMoreCast

I just learned how to use a baitcaster this year... Quantum Tourning Edition... I can make regular casts, but have yet to try any of the other techniques that would definitely help me in a lot of situations ( skipping,pitching etc. ).

I hope to have some time to try this technique out this year!! I have my first tourney on May 2nd, so it will have to be after that.
Old 04-23-09, 02:04 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey man, just remember when skipping with fluoro that a bad birds nest will most likley ruin a spool of fluoro where it took repeated ones to ruin mono. The very first time I used fluoro, I had a bad backlash and after picking it out, I casted and my lure went fyling off. I'd use braid cause mono will have too much give to pull the lunkers out of wherever you may be skipping.

BB
Old 04-23-09, 02:19 PM   #7
aikenyounggun

yeah that sure is a useful skill.... you definatley need practice with it.... i was tryin it under docks and you end up with bird's nest b/c the bait hits the water so hard and if you dont hav eyour thumb on it its all over
Old 04-23-09, 03:41 PM   #8
BassinID

I have always used braid when skipping, if you need the extra clarity of flouro, tie on a leader with a uni-knot. A bad backlash will ruin a flouro line.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 04:20 PM   #9
jasonfish320

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreCast View Post
I have my first tourney on May 2nd, so it will have to be after that.
Where are you fishing at? My first of the year is Sunday at Messalonskee
Old 04-23-09, 04:33 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
I have always used braid when skipping, if you need the extra clarity of flouro, tie on a leader with a uni-knot. A bad backlash will ruin a flouro line.
I use the *&$!?! J-knot to tie my fluoro leader onto my braid line.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 06:38 PM   #11
bamabassman

hahaha f&g, does the j- knot make ya cuss? hahahaha. that is a hard one to do ain't it?
Old 04-23-09, 09:03 PM   #12
OneMoreCast
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OneMoreCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
Where are you fishing at? My first of the year is Sunday at Messalonskee
The first one for us is Panther Pond in Raymond. I have been out of my skin for the past week or so now!! lol

I am going out this weekend and on Monday to scout Panther with a friend of mine. Then May 9th is the first full moon... so I will be out that night on my canoe... catch some monsters on Range hopefully!!

You do any night fishing?
Old 04-23-09, 09:13 PM   #13
fishin spro

if u dont have to skip it far, pitching is a good way too do it also.
u cant do it real far, but u can skip it under 5 or 6 feet of cypress limbs, which really comes in handy on most of the lakes around here.
im just starting to get the hang of it
Old 04-24-09, 03:36 PM   #14
3dkicker

Jason - Have you tried it on the water from a boat yet? If not be ready to get used to the elevation change. Makes a slight difference but once you get adjusted you'll be alright.

It's sweet when you can rip that jig to the back of a dock!
Old 04-24-09, 04:08 PM   #15
Jim80

good post man I have tried to some success with my casting gear but have almost always skipped with a spinning rod maybe I'll give it another shot .

jim
Old 04-24-09, 07:21 PM   #16
zooker

i started by skippin frogs now i can do nearly every thing i have caught quite a number of bass slidding a spinnerbait under docks..

as much as i do it with jigs and t-rigging using braid i have to change out the braid every 6 months or so...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.