Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-10, 10:11 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default New and Improved for 2010.

Every year, I dedicate myself to either learning a new technique for improving on a couple specific ones. Now, I know we all want to improve on all our techniques, but there's got to be one in particular.

So, what is that one new technique you want to learn or technique you want to improve in 2010 and why?

I definately want to improve on my jig fishing and dropshotting. I got my first jig fish this year, so I've definately gained some confidence in jigs and I want to get better at fishing them. The Dropshot is one of my go to baits, but I still want to learn more about it because I know I can definately improve.

One somewhat new to me technique that I want to try is swimbaits. I tried them a little bit towards the end of the year, but I want to use them more this year.

BB
Old 01-10-10, 10:26 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am with you on the jig fishing. I have caught a few fish on them, but I would like to put the worm and lizard down for a little while. I am trying to get the stuff ready to build my first rod. I was going to build one for light worming, but I think I am going to build a jigging rod. I never really get to pitch because I fish from a smaller boat and we have to sit down. But when I get the chance, I am going to try it more. I also just bought a cranking rod from Tigerodz and I am waiting for it to come in. I got my Curado 200E5 with the 5.0:1, 21" per turn, for the sole purpose of slowing down. I just have to pick a line now. But I am hoping to be able to start bumping off the logs, and bringing in more fish than broke lines.
Old 01-10-10, 11:04 PM   #3
Hugo_Hogz
BassFishin.Com Member

I also want to force myself to throw a jig once in a while. Last year I got caught up in the frogging craze and tied a jig on maybe twice.
Hugo_Hogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 11:14 PM   #4
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I catch 60% of my fish on a jig. I want to learn to drop shot. Tried it a few times but havnt had any success. That is my goal for 2010.
Old 01-10-10, 11:15 PM   #5
Jrob78

I fish plastics about 95% of the time. I'm building a new crankbait rod and I fully intend on getting more comfortable and confident fishing cranks.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 11:27 PM   #6
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Drop shot is something I need to learn and may give the recoil rigging a chance(secret weapon is the name,ck it out)
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 11:42 PM   #7
bamabassman

I too am wanting to do the jig and dropshoting bigant. I caught a bass on the jig, and since i have a few really good jigs (thanks to you and kory), this is something i am going to truly try to use alot more. I went to academy saturday and bought some paca craws to go with the jigs. So maybe i can finally learn how to "properly" jig for those sow bellies this year. I can hardly wait too.
Old 01-10-10, 11:55 PM   #8
nofearengineer

I am going to work on jigging a LOT. After catching my first few bass on jigs, I am totally hooked, if you'll pardon the expression.

I'm also still waiting on my first jerkbait fish, flukes included. I am hoping to run into the right circumstances for that too.

Maybe next December I'll get my first Float-n-fly fish too.
Old 01-11-10, 12:16 AM   #9
TN_Bassin

I'd like to improve on drop shotting but the opertunity never comes up to use it.
Old 01-11-10, 12:19 AM   #10
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm also still waiting on my first jerkbait fish
Same here. Haven't get a first bite on them, yet. For me its one of the difficult bait for me to work with. What I dislike about them is, tons of technique to work em! Jerk, jerk, pause...or twitch and pause...blah blah I've tried em all so I don't know if its because they didn't buy it or I was in the fishless spot! Used LC Pointer and Rogue. Knew theres nothing wrong with the lure. Just gave up
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 03:24 AM   #11
Garry2rs

I will concentrate on learning to use large swimbaits this year...not little boot tails but 6 and 8 inch baits like the BBZ-1 etc.
Please allow me to offer a tip re:Jerkbaits.
You want to start and end each jerk with slack in your line...
After the cast, pick up line until it hangs from the rod tip to the water, to the bait in a "C"...almost, but not quite tight. Now jerk the rod tip. Let's say the bait is turned slightly to the right...on the jerk it will turn left, toward the rod and glide passed the center line of the cast...If you do not tighten the line completely and jerk again, the bait will curve back to right and glide... The next jerk, also with some slack, will cause the bait to roll back to the left, toward the center line of the cast and continue to glide passed it again...
This amounts to walking-the-dog underwater and IMO is the key to successful jerkbaiting.
If you cast passed likely spots, and work the bait up to the target, you can use very short light jerks to cause the bait to hang in the strike zone almost quivering.
Good Luck!
Garry2rs
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 08:46 AM   #12
Bob Smith

This winter I have been working on the Float n Fly technique. It's a fun way to catch suspended spotted bass down here on the deep clear lakes in North Georgia. I can't use it in tournament situations because of the rod length (mine is 12', most are in the 10' range).
Old 01-11-10, 10:09 AM   #13
rodnreel

I'm looking to improve my finesse fishing. Dropshots and shakey heads will be high on the agenda for me. I've only tried shakey heads a few times with mixed results. Had one really good day with them, and the others not so good.
Old 01-11-10, 10:36 AM   #14
muddy

I am going to work on how to better undrestand the images on the Garmin I have. I want to be able to get bottom makeup and boat position to the target better.

The last 2 seasons were spent learning the jig, should have been the first thing I ever learned, bigger and more consistnet catchse

The best way I did it was the first season all I put on the boat were 2 jig set ups, if i didnt learn , then no fish. No Fish happened a lot but then i got it

In the end I prefer Jig Heads with a plastic on them, weedguards and skirts did not get along with me.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-10, 04:57 PM   #15
danielbasspro

I'm tryin to throw a spoon, x-rap, and swim jig
Old 01-13-10, 10:16 AM   #16
WaffleJaw

Im with you on the jig fishing...Never caught one on a jig...Ive thrown quite a few this past year too..Then I go back to plastics or cranks...Cranks were my big break through for 09...I want this to be the year of the jig.

and swimbait.
Old 01-13-10, 10:37 AM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Interesting. I've noticed a lot of people mention jigs. I guess it's just an intimidating lure for beginners.

Finsesse fishing seems to be another thing a lot us want to get better at.

And swimbaits... I'm sure we all want to learn to throw those bit 4-8" baits and catch big fish, but these are also intimidating. I think my main problem with swimbait fishing is going to be throwing the swimbait long enough. I get impatient and switch baits quite a bit, and I know swimbaits don't get nearly as many bites...

I did forget to mention, I definately want to practice not just jig fishing, but flipping and pitching (especially flipping) as well. I know they're not so much fishing techniques like jigs, crankbaits, or dropshotting, but I figure learning the casting technique better will aid in my jig fishing.

BB
Old 01-13-10, 07:50 PM   #18
islandbass

Jigs for me. I got my first bass caught on a jig last summer and then I nailed some pink salmon with them. I feel I need to master this universal fish catching lure. And these are jigs and pigs, to marabou jigs, to shakey heads. Cranks are most likely going to take a big back seat next season.
Old 01-14-10, 12:09 AM   #19
bassinbob

Deep cranking. Also something I started doing last fall-ripping lipless cranks off deep grass. That's how I hooked one on the sexy shad and it bent the hook.
Old 01-14-10, 12:21 AM   #20
keithdog

As far as lures go, I'm going to try more with rattle trap type baits. So many people swear by them, but I've never had much luck with them. I just bought a 3/4 oz Strike King Red Eye Shad in a chrome with blue back. Doing to give it a work out this spring. The main thing I'm going to be working on though is learning to use my new depth finder. I havn't owned or used one since 1984! Needless to say, they have changed a lot since I last owned one.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 12:25 AM   #21
nofearengineer

Good point, Keith!!! I haven't been using my Rattletraps as much I probably should have been either! They are good search baits, and I've been doing my stubborn thing where I try to finesse fish 100 yards of the same bank on an 8,000 acre lake for 8 hours. I need to stop that.
Old 01-14-10, 09:43 AM   #22
autigersupG3
BassFishin.Com Member

I want to get more jig experience....I usually start out with that goal each year. I fish it some but end up back to plastics or throwing a crank bait
autigersupG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 07:45 PM   #23
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
As far as lures go, I'm going to try more with rattle trap type baits. So many people swear by them, but I've never had much luck with them. I just bought a 3/4 oz Strike King Red Eye Shad in a chrome with blue back. Doing to give it a work out this spring. The main thing I'm going to be working on though is learning to use my new depth finder. I havn't owned or used one since 1984! Needless to say, they have changed a lot since I last owned one.

Keith, get some traps in the 1/2 oz range as well. When the water warms into the 50s and bass start the pre-spawn you can slay them with the Red Shad Rattle trap. Working that thing slowly over last year's dead grass and vegetation. As the water warms a bit more the Brown Craw pattern works well. The Chrome and Blue is a tried and proven schooling bass bait, and works pretty much anytime the bass are forageing on shad.

BB, definitely hone your pitching and flipping skills! A huge percent of the fish I catch on Jigs are caught on precise presentations and usually on the first drop. I would venture to say that the technique may have been largely developed around jigs then applied to other baits (I beleive that Don Iovino may have been the godfather of flipping and he probably used tubes! LOL).
Old 01-14-10, 08:10 PM   #24
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm going to improve my spinnerbait fishing. i'm good on the jigs, cranks, and soft plastics but i have never caught more than one fish a day when using a spinnerbait. P.S. bigbassin i'm originally from Toledo
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 06:54 PM   #25
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
This winter I have been working on the Float n Fly technique. It's a fun way to catch suspended spotted bass down here on the deep clear lakes in North Georgia. I can't use it in tournament situations because of the rod length (mine is 12', most are in the 10' range).
Thats a method that has always very much intrigued me and I am going to spend the time learning it when I get nearer to more conducive waters.

I think as opposed to a technique, I want to improve on the process I use to go fishing. Whether it is improving my patience, or slightly altering my understanding of how fish relate to cover and how I position my boat in relation to them, my understanding of the thermocline and it's effects, baitfish and how they inform bass patterns -

I guess what I am saying is that I always have fished by gut instinct, but I want to develop an intellectual understanding of what works.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.