Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-10, 09:42 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Monkey Strikes Again (and First Impressions)

It's no surprise really that the monkey got me... again... After finding all Dobyns Rods 25% off during our trip to St. Joe, MI., I started looking for a reel for the new rod.

So after watching reel after reel go over my budget on eBay, I finally got a break and picked up a used Daiwa Sol for a great price.

Here's the pics and my first impressions of both the rod and the reel.

First up, the rod. The rod I chose is a Dobyns Champion Extreme DX703C. It's 7' MH XF. I bought the rod as a t-rig rod, and have only thrown t-rigged worms and 1/4oz jigs on it so far.

The rod balanced wonderfully with all of the reels I put on it. In fact, with a Revo STX, it balanced ON the reel seat screw lock thing. Even with the lighter Sol, it balances great.

The rod is built with great craftsmanship, and quality components. I've only the had the rod for a few weeks, but I've experienced no problems with the Kigan Zirconia Guides. (I haven't had any problems with the Kigan SiC guides on my Champion rod either). This is a beautiful rod, with some very unique aspects. The color change paint on the reel seat and logo area of the rod are awesome, especially out in the sun. The cork is top notch as well.

Check out the reel seat, and the checkered pattern that is also visible in between the cork in the split grip.

Sensitivity of this rod is great, I can definitely feel an improvement over my Champion Series rod, as well as the Loomis IMX rods I've fished. I haven't fished one, but I've heard these rods are comparable to the GLX.

I've only had the reel a few days, and haven't tested the limits of the casting abilities, but I don't doubt it is capable of casting lighter lures than most baitcasters.

Spooled up with 12lb mono as a test line, until I choose between fluoro or braid, I was able to cast both 5" senkos and t-rigged power worms nicely. I could even cast a weightless 7" Powerworm a respectable distance.

The reel is light, and palms great. Probably one of the most comfortable reels to palm that I've ever fished with. I wouldn't hesitate to say it rivals the palmability of reels built on Daiwa's TD-Z frame (Zillions and Fuegos).

One thing I was pleasantly surprised about with this reel was how well I could pitch with it. I've never been very good at pitching or flipping, but I increased my pitching distance with a t-rigged, weightless 5" senko by at least 50%.

This reel was used, and had a little boat rash, but nothing I can complain about for what I paid for it.

Overall, it's a great reel, and I wouldn't hesitate to add another, or one of it's Japanese counterparts, the Daiwa Alphas, to my arsenal when I'm in need of a new reel.

Unfortunately, no matter how much I dread it, winter is just around the corner, so a long term review is going to have to wait until next year on both the DX703C and the Sol.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.