Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-09, 01:34 AM   #1
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spoons

What areas do you throw spoons? Water temp etc. Im new with using spoons and just trying to learn about them and when to use them. Also what spoons do you like using. Thanks
TNRACER93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 01:52 AM   #2
gizzardshad
BassFishin.Com Member

Im just trying to learn as well. I've tried several without success. I'm fishing water temp right at 40 degrees, but I think the problem is Im not finding the fish.

Everyone who has used them successfully says you will see baitfish suspended with a few arches around them on your graph. I guess I just have a hard time finding a feeding school?
gizzardshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 12:39 PM   #3
TNRACER93
BassFishin.Com Member

Same here water temp is around 40. I have seem balls of bait but had no luck. Maybe some of those guys who have luck can give a few pointers.
TNRACER93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 01:25 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

at the lake here we see guys that are fishing near a flat right where the break is that goes 20-40 ft, fishing the drop. It looks like they let the spoon hit the bottom and then reel it up a few ft and then jerk the rod tip up and let it flutter back down. Also study the graph for the desired depth once you spot what depth the fish are in. I see walleye fishermen do it all year near the breaks off of flats where it meets the causeway areas.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 01:54 PM   #5
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I hav'nt done much spooning yet, but I can see where the use of our Electronics would be crucial.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 10:44 PM   #6
wv basser
BassFishin.Com Member

i love throwing spoons and have done very well with them in tourneys.

it depends on the time of year, but like now in winter i actually use blade baits because they get to the bottom quicker.

as far as throwing a spoon: in the fall i reel as fast as i can while giving short pumps. the fish are usually up and chasing bait so this method is ideal

all other times i let the spoon drop to the desired depth and just pump, relax, pump, relax. try to keep a tight line as the fish will hit it on the fall, or just as you give it a pump. early spring i will let it fall to the bottom before giving the jerks and then let fall back. i prefer little cleos in 1/3, 2/5, 2/3 sizes. the hopkins shorty is also good and i usually do not go below 3/4 oz.

this time of year though its hard to beat a gold silver buddy or shakey head!
Old 01-27-09, 08:24 AM   #7
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In February, some of the locals use a regular 3.5 inch silver spoon to limit out on walleye. They add a treble hook to the front split ring to match the one in the rear...then they add a minnow to each hook prong, a total of six. When they jig that just off the bottom by lifting about a foot and dropping it, the flash of the spoon and flurry of the minnows changing directions looks like a school. They limit out in a short time in the holes. Also might be a good technique for illuminated night fishing near the top.....fishing the outer rim of light.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 09:50 AM   #8
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I haven't had any real luck using a spoon. I've mainly used them to fish deep humps in the fall and early winter. I drop the spoon vertically, let it hit the bottom, then work it by reeling a few feet, then popping it, then drop it to the bottom, and repeat. I prefer a 3/4 oz spoon for this. I've had some limited success with Silver buddies fishing them deep in creek channels by casting and letting them sink to the bottom.
Old 02-02-09, 02:24 PM   #9
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Last summer I started throwing spoons abit and was impressed with their results. I've always used spoons for ice fishing, and have caught everything that swimgs on them through the ice. For ice fishing and cold water bass fishing I like the Acme 1/8 or 1/4 ounce spoon, or the hopkins spoon, which seems to be a fav for many pros. In the summer I mix it up, depends on how deep I'm fishing. I started throwing 4 to 5 inch spoons last summer in 8 to 15 feet of water. I caught a few fish on them, but they didn't hold fish very well. Once bass would just they would get that big spoon swinging and it would fly right out. I'm going to play around with hooks this summer on larger spoons and see if that helps. Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.