Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-08, 04:54 PM   #1
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Keep loosing fish on crankbaits.

I love to fish crank baits all throughout the season. Cranks are one of my go to baits even when water temps are in the mid to upper 40s. When I have a good crankbait bite going I tend to loose almost 30-40 percent of my fish that bite, which is way higher than any other bait I throw. I've tried multiple solutions but nothing seems to increase my hook/landing ratio. I have two rods specifically set up for cranks; one is a figerglass rod and the other is just a med light graphite rod. I replaced most of my hooks to the mustad triple grip hooks designed for cranks which helped alittle but I still loose fish. This year I increased the hook sizes on all of my baits to see if this will help. On my square billed baits I have a number 4 on the front and a number 6 on that back. On my deep diving baits I have a number 6 on the front and back. On one bait I put on the VMC sure set hook on the rear, but I'm affraid this will increase my snags as well as my landing ratio.
Does any one have anyother tips so I can increase my landing percentage with cranks?
Thanks and good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 05:16 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What kind of line are you using for cranks? If you have braid, change it to mono. Mono will give you a litle stretch which is what you want with cranksbaits. Also, perhaps your drag is too tight. Too tight a drag and you'll tear loose your hookset. You don't want to horse in a bass with a crank unless he's getting into cover that could make it hard to get him landed, such as brush, heavy weeds, and so on. Just a couple ideas I had. Sorry I don't have more.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 06:25 PM   #3
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I had the same problem last year. I fished with crankbaits (my confidence bait) for about half of a year with the same fish-landing problems as you. Do you keep lots of pressure or a little bit of pressure on the fish? Here are the tips I can come up with:

-Instead of jerking right when you get a bite, reel until your rod loads and then set the hook.

-When setting the hook, sweep your rod to the side. You don't need as much force as when setting the hook with say, a jig, but give a good amount of force.

-Good sharp hooks as you already know.

-Try replacing the regular front treble with a red treble. Not sure if you believe it, but in clear waters, that could get your fish to hit the whole bait instead of short striking.

-If you know the reason for your lost fish on a particular day is because they're slapping at the bait, be sure you've got round bend treble hooks. Those should help with slappers.

-Use a longer rod.

-I used to think that those small hooks would rip loose if you had a good amount of pressure on the fish. Don't be afraid to try keeping lots of pressure, as it may take more than you think to rip the hooks out of a fish's mouth.

-Keep your rod tip in the water as much as you can when you're fighting a fish. Most of my lost fish on crankbaits come when they jump.

-When they're right at the boat, disengage your reel and keep some thumb pressure on the spool. It should be more reliable than your drag.

-Keep a slightly loose drag - not too loose.

-If the above don't help, try going with a heavier action rod.

If the above doesn't help, just practice. You'll get it. Oh, and remember, losing those fish is just a part of crankbait fishing, let alone, bass fishing.

Good luck and I hope you can land those lunkers.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 06:53 PM   #4
toneyoutdoors.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to toneyoutdoors.com

My problem was all in my rod. I was having the same problem but went to a
7'6 rod in medium action and havent had any trouble as of lately.
Old 03-01-08, 07:44 PM   #5
Mac10

add a split ring between the hook and lure, this will make two rings per hook...prevents the fish from getting so much throwing leverage.... also try to find treble hooks that bend in toward the hook eye at least a little...harder to throw.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 08:19 PM   #6
fishin' fool

When I throw cranks I either use mono or florocarbon, depending on the season. My main crankin rod is 7' med kevin Vandam signature series fiberglass rod, so I think I have the right equipment. I try to just load the rod up when a bass hits my crank but I think I get to excited and load it up hard. A large percent of the fish I loose is when they jump, either right at the boat or away from it. I'll have to try just thumbing the spool and easing them in when they start jumpin.
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 09:28 PM   #7
pignjig

Welcome, FF! For what it's worth, what helps me most (besides the excellent advice on sharp hooks and correct hook size/replacement) is lowering the rod after they're turned. If you can anticipate the jump and head it off you're on the way to a full livewell.

Tight lines...

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 09:45 PM   #8
zooker

your using to tight a drag loosen it up. i have my drags set quite loose on my crankbait reels. if i can set the hook and not pull drag doing it. them my drag is set perfectly..

bandit 100 are some of the worst baits when it comes to loosing fish.. use a long shank rear hook.. sure set are ok on the rear hook but a real pain in the belly hooks..

zooker
Old 03-02-08, 07:25 AM   #9
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac10 View Post
add a split ring between the hook and lure, this will make two rings per hook...prevents the fish from getting so much throwing leverage.... also try to find treble hooks that bend in toward the hook eye at least a little...harder to throw.
That has worked wonders for me, but I get nervous doing it around any wood cover.
Old 03-02-08, 07:38 AM   #10
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
but I get nervous doing it around any wood cover.
the trick to fishing wood cover is simple momentum.. keep the bait moving.. if you do thos hit and stops you'll hang up. slowing the bait speed lets the hooks drop creating a 3 prong snag catcher.if the bait keeps moving only one point will really catch and hang..

i fish alot of wood with crank. don't get scared cause there is a tree there.. just fish it..

zooker
Old 03-02-08, 10:19 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Don't know if this will help, but if you're using line heavier than 10lb, lighten it up. I'd also go with mono. IMO, the size hooks that come on the bait work the best. I've put bigger hooks on baits, and sometimes it can mess up the action of the lure. If you really want to try some good hooks, get Gamakatsu or Owners.

BB
Old 03-02-08, 11:51 PM   #12
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
I had the same problem last year. I fished with crankbaits (my confidence bait) for about half of a year with the same fish-landing problems as you. Do you keep lots of pressure or a little bit of pressure on the fish? Here are the tips I can come up with:

-Instead of jerking right when you get a bite, reel until your rod loads and then set the hook.

-When setting the hook, sweep your rod to the side. You don't need as much force as when setting the hook with say, a jig, but give a good amount of force.

-Try replacing the regular front treble with a red treble. Not sure if you believe it, but in clear waters, that could get your fish to hit the whole bait instead of short striking.

-If you know the reason for your lost fish on a particular day is because they're slapping at the bait, be sure you've got round bend treble hooks. Those should help with slappers.

-Use a longer rod.

-I used to think that those small hooks would rip loose if you had a good amount of pressure on the fish. Don't be afraid to try keeping lots of pressure, as it may take more than you think to rip the hooks out of a fish's mouth.

-Keep your rod tip in the water as much as you can when you're fighting a fish. Most of my lost fish on crankbaits come when they jump.

-When they're right at the boat, disengage your reel and keep some thumb pressure on the spool. It should be more reliable than your drag.

If the above doesn't help, just practice. You'll get it. Oh, and remember, losing those fish is just a part of crankbait fishing, let alone, bass fishing.

I'm impressed. You have learned well, young jedi.
Old 03-03-08, 10:07 AM   #13
ROBZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post

-Use a longer rod.

He's got the idea right here, follow these tips right here and you will get more fish in the boat!
Old 03-03-08, 10:08 AM   #14
ROBZILLA

I didn't see Rebs reply till I submited my post! hmmmm great minds think alike
Old 03-03-08, 11:20 AM   #15
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I'm impressed. You have learned well, young jedi.
Reb, I've benn watching you tutor Joel for the last year or so, he seems to want to learn every thing there is to know about bass fishing, You're to be commended for the job you're doing with him. Lotta youngsters here that ask alot of questions, and thats good. Carpy
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 01:56 PM   #16
Cranebird

Yep Rebbasser ,you truely are an inspiration to all of us who don't have near the patience to endure such a task.Bob Villa never took on such a project. C-Bird brain.
Old 03-03-08, 02:25 PM   #17
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

get the BPS EWG treble hooks
Old 03-05-08, 03:58 PM   #18
basstech

It does sound mostly like a problem with keeping enough pressure on the fish to get the hook completely driven through. I don't remember what pro it was talking about the hookset with cranks but he expressed that most of the problem that most people have with landing the fish is the hook didn't penetrate deep enough to get the barb through. He said that generally just the point penetrates on the hookset and it's neccessary to keep the rod bent with pressure for the first few seconds after the hookset to get the hook driven in past the barb. I also found with lipless cranks that too stiff a rod tend to pull the hooks out. I modified a 6'6" loomis 783 cranking rod by 2" from the tip and I rarely loose a lipless crank fish with that rod anymore. Too soft a tip and the hook won't get driven in properly either. Tried a couple of st. croix med. power rods and they were too light for cranks bigger that 1/4 oz. but with the small baits they work great.
Old 03-05-08, 06:28 PM   #19
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Yes, and thank you Reb and all those who help me. If it wasn't for the people who helped me and gave me prompt responses, there is no way I would be the fisherman I am right now. It seems with everything I learn, it's from people I don't even know.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 08:00 PM   #20
Rebbasser

Shoot, all I did was try to point him in the right direction. Joolz took it and ran with it.

I will say one of the joys I have when it comes to fishing is passing along what I have learned. For me, showing or telling someone how to do something and then they are successful with it is almost as rewarding as catching that fish myself.

Besides, I have learned a lot on these boards as well. so has my bait monkey.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.