Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-07, 12:35 PM   #1
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lake Monticello, AR

I live in Warren have been fishing this lake pretty regulary lately, with a few good fish in the boat this year. Over the last couple of weeks the bites have really slowed down for me. We are heading out tomorrow 7/7/07 and was wondering if any of the regulars on this lake had any advice to offer. From what ive been hearing 10-12 inch worms carolina rigged in 10-15 ft of water are the way to go, but there is soooo much structure on the bottom I stay hung up more than i do hooked up.

I had the most fun a little over a month ago, fishing near the concrete slab at the end of the lake, hung a wall hanger there but had no net in the boat that day, got him to the boat only for my buddy to miss the lip, and watch the big one get away under the boat

Any advice/ good spots on the lake would be greatly appreciated.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 05:05 PM   #2
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Doc, I fish the lake atleast once a week. I've caught most my fish in the past month at night. The lake fishes differenty depending upon what your willing to fish for. If you're willing to put in the time, then you can catch double digits in 12-15' on drops and well defined creek channels. If you're interested in catching numbers, concentrate in 8-12' with worms along outside edges of timber. Also, c-rigging points with watermelonseed 8''+ worms and brush hogs work well. I would advise getting to the lake several hours before daylight, atleast enough to fish 2 or 3 hours in the dark. With the front that came through today, you may need to try downsizing if the big stuff don't work. I'll probably be there about 2 or 3 am tomorrow, I drive a silver toyota takoma TRD and pull a silver and black 17' skeeter. Good luck!!
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 05:12 PM   #3
mont_lunker_hunter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Oh, i forgot...as far getting hung up on the c-rig...it will happen. But as the saying goes, if you're not getting hung-up, you're not where the fish are. I usually lose 2 or 3 rigs a day atleast. Most of the time, it's the weight that gets wedged in forks of tree limbs, so try to use a cylinder type weight because they are usually small in diameter.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 10:57 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey Doc-take a look at a Lindy No-Snagg sinker. It is a banana shaped weight that comes through cover real well. I fish a lake with a lot of rock and I don't snag up near as often as I do with a traditional C-rig.

And welcome to the forum, BTW!
Old 07-11-07, 09:29 AM   #5
doc

Well we fished it on the 7th and did not have much luck. Will be going back the weekend of the 14th. I dont know if you guys know, but a topo map of this lake it's available at the chaimber of commerce in Monticello for $6.
Old 07-12-07, 03:46 PM   #6
fathawg
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the report. I've fished Monticello in the spring for years, but never in the summer...live a little to far out. I'm going to give it a try this Saturday, hopefully there will be parking . I'll be in a White/Red 17 Skeeter. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Well we fished it on the 7th and did not have much luck. Will be going back the weekend of the 14th. I dont know if you guys know, but a topo map of this lake it's available at the chaimber of commerce in Monticello for $6.
fathawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 11:12 AM   #7
doc

Went to monticello again saturday morning and sunday evening. Caught a few dinks saturday morning early on top-water, not much luck after that the wind started blowing hard so we got the hell outta there. Sunday afternoon was nice (cept for the wind again) fished in 10-12 ft of water caught 1 fish 3.5 pounds near dark on top-water again. Did find a nice creek channel that is 10-12 ft deep with surrounding water 7-8 ft, gonna have to re-visit that spot.

I cant find anywhere with fishing reports on this place, so you Monticello fishermen need to start posting your reports so i have something to dream about while im at work.
Old 07-20-07, 11:53 AM   #8
doc

Have a hell of a story about this lake. We fished it again yesterday the 19th. The bites were slow but while we were trolling we saw a bass making a big ruckus on the top of the water. We get over there and dip-net a very large bass in the boat. When i got the fish out of the net i noticed it had eaten a bream 7-9 inches long (my best guess on size) and had it hung in his gullet. We tried to remove it, but was affraid it would kill the fish. We quickly took the weight and length of the fish, snapped a pic, and released the fish (after pushing said bream as far in to this gluttons mouth as we could without hurting the fish) in hopes that he lives to eat another day.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...y/hugebass.jpg

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.