Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-08, 09:20 PM   #1
DJ_Callahan_27
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Having trouble with my 1984 Johnson 150 GT

I have a 1984 Johnson 150 GT that isn't running right. It doesn't want to idle for more than just a few sec. then dies. You can idle it up and it will run but when you try to idle it back down to take off sometimes it will die. Also if you have to idle the boat in or out of a no wake zone it seems to load up, like it's flooded. After clearing the no wake zone if you try to open it up, right before it planes off it's like it hits an air pocket. The motor revs and the boat slows. However if you start the boat only let it idle long enough to get it in gear when you open it up it will jump up on plane fast and get gone in a hurry. Any insight would be greatly helpfuly. Thanks alot
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 07:59 AM   #2
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

You might go here:
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=51
and tell your tale of woe. The moderators and many of the posters are experts in the Evinrude/Johnson field. Many are factory-trained professionals.
In fact, since it is not a competing site v. here, I recommend you cruise the entire BBC list of forums regarding general bassboat topics, specific makes and models of boats and engines, electronics, trollmotors, repair and restoration, etc. There are specific forums that are moderated by folks expert in the respective areas of interest.
The "Lounge" is rather entertaining at times, too, but there's not the same talk of fishing as you will find here.
After you visit, git yer a55 back here and let us know if they helped.

Lancer6
PS: To post there you must enable cookies AND then register...no charge. You can clear cookies when you close out. I've never found anything harmful there 'cause Al, the Canuck who owns the site, runs a tight ship.
Remember to enable cookies before trying to register and, later on, before you log in.
Not necessary to log in just to read the forums or follow any links.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 12:54 PM   #3
DJ_Callahan_27

Thanks Lancer I will give it a shot.
Old 07-27-08, 06:52 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well first off the main thing you need to check is all fuel connections. Sounds like one of 2 things........a restriction of lack of fuel. After check ing all connections if problem is still persitient then it's time for a carb rebuild. Also I want to ask dies it do this from the cold start all the way through the day?????
Old 07-27-08, 10:16 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah i have seen lancer rampagin over on the bbc my self...

zooker
Old 07-27-08, 03:27 PM   #6
DJ_Callahan_27

I just bought the boat a couple of months ago and it had about a 1/4 of a tank of gas in it. The boat hasn't been registered for the water since 05 so the first thing I did after getting it home was to try and get as much gas out of it as posilble. However, I couldn't get all of it out. I filled the tank with good gas and took it to the lake. The first time out it done this aswell as the next couple of trips. But it does seem to be getting alittle better each time out. The boat have about a 15 gallon tank and I have only run about a tank and a 1/4 out of it since I have had it. Don't know if I need to just take it to the lake and run the hell out of it or if I should try carb kits or what. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Old 07-27-08, 03:49 PM   #7
conan1
BassFishin.Com Member

I would try some Seafoam in the fuel. You can get it at AutoZone or TSC where I am. Its like Stabil only, I think, alot better. It helps absorb any water and decarbonize the fuel system and engine. FastLaser is probably correct with carb rebuild but I would use Seafoam in every tank afterward if it doesn't do the job beforehand.
Ed
conan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 04:26 PM   #8
DJ_Callahan_27

Thanks alot Conan I will try that one day next week if I get a chance
Old 07-27-08, 04:27 PM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok now that we have a little more info I can make a recommend. CONANAN1 gets the prize on this one. A shock treatment of Seafoam is DEFINATELY in order. A boat motor sitting that long with fuel is a NO. Do a search on te site about Shock treatment. I have outlined the steps several times on the proedure. After doing this I feel VERYconfidebt that you will see alot of improvement maube so much you can forget about th slightly expensive carb rebuild.If I do a carb rebuild on a V6 outboard I charge 150. MOST boat shops charge 250+ for this service and they wont do what I do to the carbs. Let us know how it works for ya.
Old 07-27-08, 05:10 PM   #10
DJ_Callahan_27

Been looking for the shock treatment threads but not having any luck. I will be sure to keep you posted on problem. Hope you all are right and this will fix it. By the way the motor is mounted on a 1984 Procraft 1750 that fishes great. and when the motor is running good I was told it will run in the mid 60's to low 70's?
Old 07-27-08, 09:31 PM   #11
DJ_Callahan_27

I got some Seafoam and if I get off work in time tomorrow I'm going to take it to the lake and try it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.