Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-09, 12:16 AM   #1
BIGMO_13
BassFishin.Com Member

Arrow Lure Storage ?

First, i am new here so let me say hi to all. Also i would like to say that i have been reading some of the posts over the last day or two and i must say i have learned alot. Now to my question (problem).....how do you guys organize your lures so that you know what you are tying on, such as crankbaits, jigs, spinnerbaits, or just whatever. I mean how do you know if it is 1/4 oz or 3/8 and how do you know if it will dive to 3' or 8' ? Do you write on the lure? or maybe on the storage box they are in? I am having a real tuff time trying to figure out how to get my stuff organized so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-09, 12:41 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well, First of all welcome to the forums.

I know that a lot of guys will write the depths on the under side of the crankbait lips.
On the weight thing, I don't focus too much on the weight sizes when I am tossing the bait out. I usually know that I need to make the weight heavier or lighter based on the first few casts. So from 1/4 to 3/8 is simply an adjustment rather than a specific measurement. (I am sure someone will make that far more articulate)
I like to sort my baits in the plano style plastic boxes. Something along these lines.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...11000_100-11-9

Some will sort theirs by depth, some by color, and some by specific conditions. No technique is perfect, but finding one that works for you is the key. (BTW, you will end up changing it a dozen or so times anyways)
Old 03-25-09, 01:44 AM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I tend to organize crankbaits by brand and not depth. Perhaps there is an inefficiency in that method, but for me all my cranks are in 1 box so I see them all when its open. I have a decent idea of which one dives how deep based on the construction - not perfect, but it gets me by.

As for the weight of lures, I don't know. Seriously, I have no idea if a given spinnerbait is 3/8 or 1/2, and I really dont care. The fish dont either. Its the weight in hand, the profile and how it retrieves that matters, which I know pretty well. Even if you knew, in grams, the weight of each lure you couldn't rely on that to know how well something will cast or sink because profile has as much to do with that as weight.

Like I sometimes take the small spinnerbaits, I guess they must be 1/4, and I clamp a lead weight or wound some solder onto the hook shank. I have no idea what this makes the new lure. But it sinks way deeper quicker than a standard sized spinnerbait ever would.
Old 03-25-09, 02:50 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

BIGMO, when you pay 5-20$ for a piece of plastic or wood, you tend to remember what it does. hahahahahaha I can usually glance at the bill size, and plus from searching a few threads about the lip angles and tell the whereabouts it is going to go.
Old 03-25-09, 01:55 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

for jigs and stuff you can usually just tell from experience..... BUT i did hear a tip that if you take white out you can make one dot for 1/4, 2 dot for 3/8, and 3 dots for 1/2.... whatever works for you

for crankbaits have a shallow divin, medium divin, and deep divin box..... if you are not exactly sure throw it out and watch it come through the water
Old 03-25-09, 02:04 PM   #6
Bassboss

Well, I use a BPS tackle bag, and I think 7 storage boxes to keep all my stuff in, frogs, jigs, etc. I also put labels on them so I don't have to pull all the boxes out and open them to see what in them! With soft baits, I keep them in the bag the come in to help keep the fish catching sent on, and the human sent off. About crank baits; I see no problem with get a sharpy and righting the dive depth on the crank bait it's self. In fact, I think I'll I'll stat doing this my self! For jigs; I just use a white or matalic marker to weight the weight on the end, or bottom of the head. As far as organizing weights, I have on small box for them, with 6 compartments, one for 3/16oz weights, one for 1/4oz, one for 3/8, one for 1/2oz, one for 3/4, and one for 1oz weights! I just never keep all of them in their compartments that have the weight labels on them, works great for me! For spinnerbaits, I find it easy to tell he difference in weight just my size of the head. I keep all of them very organized!

~Good luck and good fishin!

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-25-09 at 02:12 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 03:27 PM   #7
jig fisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I agree with everyone on here but if its a lure I like or use a lot I tend to memorize it and if I don't I just feel it in my hand and guess
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 04:52 PM   #8
BIGMO_13
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I am going to try a few and see what works best for me, maybe just maybe i will get all my stuff organized soon.
Old 03-25-09, 05:04 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I've actually never organized them other than by brands, which really only helped me know where stuff was lol.
I plan on tagging the storage boxes by depth, especially since I'm no longer stuck on the shore.
As far as what to store them in, I really like Planos.
I've switched to Angler's Edge though, since I bought a new soft sider. The bag holds 5 of these babies!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	3336  
Old 03-25-09, 05:20 PM   #10
zooker

they way i do it is i keep the same kind togather.

lipless, shallow,dt6, dt4,ect.. of course it don't stay that way for long..

i use a differant plano box for my deep divers since the big baits with big lips take up an obseen amount of room in the box

zooker
Old 03-25-09, 05:58 PM   #11
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
they way i do it is i keep the same kind togather.

lipless, shallow,dt6, dt4,ect.. of course it don't stay that way for long..

i use a differant plano box for my deep divers since the big baits with big lips take up an obseen amount of room in the box

zooker

Mallen likes
Old 03-25-09, 06:31 PM   #12
zooker

BACK!!! MALLEN BACK!!!!

there mine buy your own...lol..

actually i think i have to get a more recent pictures..

zooker
Old 03-25-09, 06:36 PM   #13
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
BACK!!! MALLEN BACK!!!!

there mine buy your own...lol..

actually i think i have to get a more recent pictures..

zooker

They will be mine. Oh yes, they will be mine.....
Actually though, I'm currently in a happy place as far as lures go. Have 3 of those boxes filled, with zero "take up space" lures.
Decent haul since I completely started over last year.
Only 3 of the lures in the 3 boxes are before my resurgence last year.
If I buy any more, I'll hafta kick my own tail
Old 03-25-09, 07:19 PM   #14
Rebbasser

I organize by type/depth for the most part-boxes for shallow, deep, lipless, medium, etc.

I do keep my DT series cranks in a separate box as well as DD-22s. I also keep a smaller box of red/crawfish lipless baits for this time of year.

I stick a piece of white tape on the edge of the box and write on it what kind of bait is in it so I don't have to look at every box to find the bait I want.
Old 03-25-09, 07:35 PM   #15
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
for jigs and stuff you can usually just tell from experience..... BUT i did hear a tip that if you take white out you can make one dot for 1/4, 2 dot for 3/8, and 3 dots for 1/2.... whatever works for you

for crankbaits have a shallow divin, medium divin, and deep divin box..... if you are not exactly sure throw it out and watch it come through the water
why would u put white dots on all your good jigs?

if u have that hard of a time rememberin mo, just cut a bunch of little squares of paper, write the weight and diving depth on them, and stick them down in the little slot under the crankbait...simple,cheap, and quick.
fishin spro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 08:18 PM   #16
bamabassman

hahaha, mallen ol buddy. don't worry bout getting zookers boxes....cuz i am gittin em! hehehe, i is gonna take ol possum heads bestes ones too.

kidding of course zooker.

on the organizing thing, i am TRYING to get mine organized by maker as well. just haven't gotten enough of ONE maker to let it have it's own box yet. but i am getting there, lmao. much to my bank accounts disgust. lmao.
Old 03-26-09, 06:01 PM   #17
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My organizing changes from year to year. I have had cranks in shallow, medium and deep running labeled boxes. I have ended up with enough sexy shad colored cranks (thanks to my wife going to bass pro) that I think I will have a "sexy box" this year. While keeping the other labels. I keep lipless cranks in another box.

I keep the plastics in the original packaging and seperate them into big worms, creature baits, trailers, and other stuff (trick worms and such). Basicly you have to find something that you think works for you and try it. And like others have said before me, you will change it and probably change it again.

My plan for the evening is to work on plastics with my son and enjoy a ballgame!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 08:30 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

as for spinnerbaits. I use mostly 3/8 and 1/2 with very few exceptions. I've got one 3/4 and a few 1/4) I can tell by looking at them.

for cranks. Shallows in one box, medium in a nother and deep in a third. I just remember general depths.

BB
Old 03-26-09, 08:41 PM   #19
JB

I seperate up depth that they dive too...top water in one, then crankbaits that dive from two to four feet, then another box for traps and deep diving cranks...from there I group similiar colors together
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 09:38 PM   #20
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

considering i own like 5 hardbaits.. i know what they do.. lol

my dad took all "his" stuff back..
Old 06-25-09, 11:24 AM   #21
bassboy11
BassFishin.Com Member

sometimes you can feel it and tell that's wht i do
bassboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.