Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-09, 01:53 PM   #1
The Meat Fisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Where can I catch pickeral in Florida?

I remember it like it was yesterday, we were at our local park's pond with just a sliver of the sun left in the sky. On this particular day we had purchased a 10 dollar fly rod set and were testing it out, after a bream or 2 and the last bit of sun was all but gone we got small strike, something had scooped the lure right off the surface. "I got a bass this time." Said my Dad, and he set the hook my Dad related to us that this one was bigger than he originally thought And then-SPLASH-the pointed head of a pickerel breached the surface-translucent fins lit by the fading sun and shining scales left no doubt In our minds we had hooked into a pickerel! (quite elusive in our region.) Unfortunately we never even got to play this fish for the tippets that came with the rod were quite possibly -1 pound test.

No one ever said I couldn't tell A good fish story. Anyway does anyone no where I can catch pickerel in Florida? I have never seen another pickerel in Florida and I'm not exactly sure how fishing for them differ from bass. Can anyone help me catch this rare to Florida species?
Old 06-25-09, 02:25 PM   #2
Randy
BassFishin.Com Member

I have caught them using a blue/chrome rattle trap, not on purpose. I was fishing for the often sought after , seldom caught , LARGEMOUTH BASS. Naturally it was during a tournament on lake Arbuckle ( central Florida ) . Had 4 keepers and a few dinks. Trying to get that last keeper to fill out the limit. Kept on catching pickeral.....oh well it was fun, and I finished fourth , in the money.....Good luck
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 02:38 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

In the water.

BB
Old 06-25-09, 02:59 PM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
In the water.

BB
Aw, c'mon Anthony, leave him alone, he's just a kid.
Old 06-25-09, 03:07 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

oh, you're just jealous cause I beat ya to it!

BB
Old 06-25-09, 08:24 PM   #6
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That's alright, BigBassin144 just had trouble with his readin' comprehension. He thought the kid was askin' him where he took a bath.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 09:00 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett

I fished a lot of ponds on golf coarses in my days down there and got few here and there. Mostly on live frogs..

Capt Mike
Old 06-25-09, 10:41 PM   #8
Jim80

i get a lot of them on flukes, spinnerbaits and the likes , even on crank baits , you can catch them on senkos as well but with the way their mouth is shaped it is a tuff hookset .
The point being they will hit anything that you already own to fish for bass as towards finding them in your state I would check the deps website i know CT lists the name of the lake or pond and what species you can expect to find in the body of water . And get a good set of pliers the are a bit toothy .

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.