Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-09, 04:45 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Starting a kid ledge fishing

Here on Kentucky Lake the bass are deep and ledge fishing is in full swing! A lot of you have seen me mention Allen, my 6 year old. He wants to go ledge fishing! I am excited by his interest, but I need recommendations from the group on what to let a six year old fish with. He can throw a regular spinning reel without problem. I was thinking c-rig with lead 1/2 oz egg sinker and 2 foot leader with a baby brush hog or a lizard.. Any other thoughts? I am open to them. I just want him to have a great time and hopefully catch some fish!

Kevin, Maybe I should have put this in the "new to fishing" section. Feel free to move it if you like.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 04:49 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hmmm... if you can learn him how to use a baitcaster than do it. I thought my 8 year old how to use one, and he can use one all day if he's catching fish but if he get's overwhelmed, than give him a spinning reel! Put on a 4-7 lizard on there for him, the smaller one's will catch him more fish, so he'll probabl have more fun!

A half hour before dark, I would go shallow and give him a popper or buzzbait... see if y'all can get a top water bite!

Have fun and bring pics!
Old 06-25-09, 07:36 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

At that young age I'd put some live bait on a hook and let him go at it!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 07:59 AM   #4
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

dropshotting may be easier for him to cast....either with live bait or artificials, would still be in contact with the ledges.....
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 10:19 AM   #5
everettvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
dropshotting may be easier for him to cast....either with live bait or artificials, would still be in contact with the ledges.....

I have not thought about a drop shot! That is an great idea! Shakey head would be a possibility also. I brought up the idea of live bait and the response was "do you use live bait on ledges?" I told him no. He asked "Does any of the pros use live bait on ledges?" I said nope and he said "I won't either!" Yep, a six year old that uses way too much logic! I can't wait till next weekend so that we can go. TVA is pulling current from 5 pm till midnight and current is the key to a good bite on the ledges here. I figure a Friday evening trip until the fireworks at dark thirty. Then a Saturday evening trip until the other fireworks begin at dark thirty. I am so pumped about next weekend!!!!!!!!! I will start getting gear ready tonight if the pager allows it!
Old 06-26-09, 03:12 PM   #6
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post

I highly second that recommendation. It sets up beautifully with a spinning rig AND setting the hook should bot be an issue with the typical drop shot hook. All one needs to do is practically reel up the slack. Not only that, buy even live bait could be used on a drop shot rig and just about any soft plastic too.

I believe drop shotting is an ideal method for young ones to learn.

BTW, I think you would be surprised at how quickly he will learn the mechanics of casting a baitcaster with a 5' to 6' rod. I taught my daughter when she was six if only to see if she were capable, and I was pleasantly surprised. The first words out of her mouth were, "Papi, this is so much easier to use than the other (spinning) kind of reel." Now all I can say to that is, "That's my little girl!" First 9 out of 10 casts were nest free.

Last edited by islandbass; 06-26-09 at 03:18 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 04:35 PM   #7
everettvet

Island,
Thanks for the info. I plan on making sure my drop shot supplies are fully stocked before July 4th weekend!

As soon as summer baseball is done, bait casting 101 will start. I will order a healthy supply of patience before we start. I would start class before then, but we don't have time between work six days a week and t-ball 2-3 nights a week.
Old 06-26-09, 07:50 PM   #8
bassboy11
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah use any plastics like grubs tubes lizards and other creatures
bassboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 08:26 PM   #9
BassinID

It may be a good Idea to set the little guy up with gulp or yum bait so that he has a few more seconds to set the hook and gets a more solid feeling bite.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 09:21 PM   #10
aikenyounggun

yeah i would like to seconf your idea for the shakey head, he will have a really good chance at catchin some fish, maybe not big, but a lot
Old 06-27-09, 12:50 PM   #11
cassidyta

I love your son's attitude. I would suggest that you put a few night crawlers in the bag as well. My 6 year old daughter always wants to throw the same baits as me, but gets discouraged when the bite is not on. When it gets slow I will leave her rig the same (Shakey head or drop shot) and put a nightcrawler in place of her plastic.

Out fishing Dad will usually win over the complaints of the live bait.

I will also second the idea of getting them on a baitcaster young. I put a citica reel on my daughter's 5' hannah montana rod. I put all the breaks on and tightened the tension a little more than normal. It took her about 15 mintues to master it.
Old 06-27-09, 04:33 PM   #12
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
Island,
Thanks for the info. I plan on making sure my drop shot supplies are fully stocked before July 4th weekend!

As soon as summer baseball is done, bait casting 101 will start. I will order a healthy supply of patience before we start. I would start class before then, but we don't have time between work six days a week and t-ball 2-3 nights a week.

Awesome! When you get ready to teach him, you will not need to overwhelm him with terms and mechanics at all. All I told my daughter was this thought...

At the start, press the button and put your thumb on the spool. When you make the cast, your thumb comes off. Now here is the key...

No matter what happens, you must put your thumb back on the spool to stop it completely BEFORE your lure hits anything, the ground, the water's surface, or a shrub. That's all they need.

Kids will get that. No need to tell them about feathering the spool or whatever. They'll figure that out on their own.

You will of course have to ensure that the reel is set to the weight of the lure before hand.

Can't wait til my son is old enough to play baseball.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.