Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-11, 12:10 AM   #1
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Taught my niece how to bass fish... (lots of pics)

Our latest trip up to the lake was a little over a week ago and the details and pictures are below. We had some family with us there from 7/8 to 7/11, and I stayed up there by myself for a couple more days after everyone else had left. We're headed back up there with my wife's entire family (14 of us total) this coming Wednesday until the following Monday.

All fish were released unharmed, and all except two were caught on the zoomie.

Friday night, July 8:
My 13-year old niece had never fished for bass or used a spinning reel before. I gave her a quick casting demo and left her to practice with my wife and my 14-year old nephew (her cousin) on the dock while I got a few things ready in the boat. On her SECOND "practice" cast from our dock, she caught this 2lb 13oz Smallmouth!

We took the boat out right after the Smallie above and went to a very tiny bay around the corner from us (you can see about 1/2 the bay in the picture below). On her first cast there, my niece landed this 2lb 10oz Largemouth! We started calling her "Big Fish Hog" after that.

All 4 of us in the boat caught at least one 2-pounder that night and we landed 14 total. In addition to the fish above, my niece also caught a 2lb 8oz LM (no photo). Here are the rest of the pics from that night (there were also two others over 2 pounds that we didn't photo).

My nephew with a 2lb 0oz LM

My wife with a 2lb 6oz LM

Me with a 3lb 0oz LM

Saturday night, July 9:
My niece, nephew and I went out for 45 minutes and caught TWELVE more on Saturday night. My niece caught another NICE one - 2lb 13oz.

Monday morning, July 11:
The biggest fish of the trip came on Monday morning - 3lb 5oz.

This little sunfish had big ambitions!

Monday night, July 11:
Monday night - 2lb 11oz and 2lb 5oz (everyone except me had left by now; the 2.11 came on a dropshot using a 5" wacky-rigged Yamasenko)

Tuesday night, July 11:
Just before dark - 2lb 9oz. - fish #4 of 6 for the night (I caught 6 bass from 9:00-9:45 p.m. after catching NONE from 6:45-9:00!)

This 3lb 2oz "tank" came on my very last cast of the trip (9:45 p.m. Tuesday night) and was the most fun I've had fighting a fish all year. It was just light enough that I could see my (Black Widow - Spro Poppin') frog land after the cast. After I waited for the ripples to clear, I twitched the frog slightly, and it got nudged lightly. I let it sit for a second or two, then popped it once. Someone "gurgled" softly at it, so I let it sit again briefly. Then I popped it one more time and "WHAM!", the fight was on! I was fishing just a little bit into some open water beyond some reeds when he hit it and he wrapped me up in reed after reed after reed on the way back to more open water in front of the boat. I was horsing with the rod and reeling as hard as I could for what seemed like 10 minutes, but it was probably only 1 or 2. The 30-pound braided line and a 7-foot heavy rod I was using helped me get him into the boat after an awesome tussle. It was pretty dark by then and the mosquitoes were THICK. I wanted to keep fishing, but I was very content to end on this one!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 12:23 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

dog GONE IT DEAN!!! ya'll are onfire up there man. that neice is a bass fishing mama now huh? a very BEAUTIFUL one at that. she looks so happy with them bass, and i am happy for her. keep it up and she'll out fish oyu soon man. she already outfishes me, lol. thanks dean, always look forward to your pics.
Old 07-18-11, 01:45 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Man it looks like you guys are on some fish. It is awesome that you get the kids out on the water, that's what it's all about.

Have you broke out any of those jigs I made you yet?
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 03:53 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Awesome pics and story Aquaman. Sounds like y'all were burning it up!
Old 07-18-11, 06:33 AM   #5
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Man it looks like you guys are on some fish. It is awesome that you get the kids out on the water, that's what it's all about.

Have you broke out any of those jigs I made you yet?
No, not yet. I will have to make it a point to try some this next time up there!
Old 07-18-11, 06:45 AM   #6
keithdog

You always have great pics to show us Dean and good stories to share with us. I saw a lot of smiles in these photos and thats what it's all about. Way to go pal.
Old 07-18-11, 09:39 AM   #7
Boze
BassFishin.Com Member

Great Pics and great story!

Good for you!

Boze
Boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 03:48 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

That's a lot of nice fish! That's pretty cool that you taught your niece to fish. That's a nice smallie she's got too.

BB
Old 07-18-11, 04:52 PM   #9
Jrob78

Man, you guys tore em up! Nothing better than catching fish to get a kid into fishing! Way to go!!
Old 07-18-11, 08:40 PM   #10
bcklash

Dean that's awesome. Great pictures of family and fishing. Next challenge BFC family get togather there. HINT HINT
Old 07-18-11, 09:04 PM   #11
MIbasser

Great job WB!!! Looks like you are having yet another good summer!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 09:27 PM   #12
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
Great job WB!!! Looks like you are having yet another good summer!
Yep, it's been an awesome year for numbers of bass. We've been getting a lot in the 2-3 pound range and a few in the 3-4 range, but we're still looking for our first 4+ pounder of 2011. . .

Code:
My numbers:
          LM   SM
   2011 - 243   9
   2010 - 262  14
   2009 - 178   7

All our cabin guests (including my counts):
          LM   SM
   2011 - 372  19
   2010 - 360  21
   2009 - 246   9
Old 07-23-11, 02:32 PM   #13
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey Dean, thanks first and foremost for posting all the fine pics. secondly for cross linking to the zoomie. Best of luck and keep up the good work, Mac

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.