Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-07, 10:31 PM   #1
TheBossT127
BassFishin.Com Member

Default ...and the frustration intensifies

7/14/07--Yesterday's bad fortune continues. Friday the 13th and we learned that our 2yr old lab mix, Hobie, likely has leukemia. Talk about a bummer. He's the first dog I've ever had that was truly MINE. Now I have to face the likelihood that he won't be with us long. To say the least, I needed something to distract me, and that would be fishing.
My club, Tioga County Bass Anglers, set out on Waneta/Lamoka lakes in Schuyler county, NY this morning. These two lakes are connected by a canal but it is not possible to move from one to the other without re-trailering your boat and launching on the other side of the road. I chose to go out on Waneta as I am a bit more familiar with that lake and the trip up the very shallow canal is much shorter.
As it turned out, it was not the right decision. I couldn't scare up a bite if a gun was held to my head. This lake is primarily mud bottom with basically one type of weed growth--eurasian milfoil, with some sporadic lily pads. Furthermore, the milfoil doesn't even appear healthy. It is brown and looks silt covered. A couple of years ago the state treated this lake, but mother Nature prevailed and it is back.
Being that there hasn't been much rain of note in this region in at least a couple of months save July 4th, water levels are quite low. I spent the entire day trying to get a bite. I threw spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, salt sticks, tubes, worms, jigs, topwater--nothing, except for when my jig got slammed while I was flipping a dock about 20 minutes before the tournament ended. I set the hook on nothing. I couldn't believe I didn't stick that fish! It might have saved the day! Oh, and did I mention that both transducer cables on my brand-new-to-me 02 ProCraft Super Pro 210 were broken? Kinda hard to find a deeper bite in the muck with no eyes beneath the surface.
Old 07-19-07, 09:03 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

man, they make movies about people with luck like that. sorry to hear about your pup, and they tourny and boat for that matter. hang in there it will get better eventually.
Old 07-19-07, 10:11 PM   #3
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Losing a pet is tough, people who don't have a dog don't get it. I still miss my big mutt and he's been gone two years. I had him for 13 years. Sorry for your bad news, Hang in there!
Old 07-20-07, 12:36 PM   #4
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you didnt have bad luck you wouldnt have any at all..

Sorry to hear about your dog... If it starts to get bad you may want to not make him suffer and just pt him down.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.