Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-08, 02:53 AM   #1
skeeterman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeterman
Default Best way to break in a rebuilt engine

Hopefully this week or next week my boat will be ready to pick up.I had to have the motor rebuilt.I was wondering whats the best way to break in a rebuilt motor? Its a 1989 yamaha pro 50.Thanks
skeeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 04:40 PM   #2
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

YOU should ask the people who built it for you.
for us it was like so many gallons on a certain rpm then anouther 30 then anouther 30
Old 07-31-08, 04:55 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

was it rebuilt or did they drop on a new power head?? basicly same thing. add mix oil to the gas at 50-1 while lettin the oil injecters continue oiling.. vary the rpm while running from 2500-5500 don't idle alot. first ten hours. mine ran restricted for 12 hours @5200rpm yours may not.. exspect it to haul but when it gets broken..

zooker
Old 07-31-08, 05:10 PM   #4
skeeterman

Ok zooker you said add oil to the tank even though i have the precision mix working on my motor right ?
Old 07-31-08, 05:34 PM   #5
zooker

uh yea dats it...

zooker
Old 07-31-08, 05:40 PM   #6
skeeterman

Thanks i appreciate your help.
Old 07-31-08, 07:26 PM   #7
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterman View Post
Hopefully this week or next week my boat will be ready to pick up.I had to have the motor rebuilt.
UH OHHHHH What Happened????
BassMaster_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-08, 07:34 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Extra oil in first two full tanks.. Never run wide open for more than 10 minutes during breakin. And run engine at varius speeds but never to fast in the speed changes. So run it at 26 for ten minutes and then 28 for ten minutes. Feel for roughness and decrease slowly..

It so tempting to just jam the throttle but do not unless you want another rebuild. Go thru the power band slowly each and every time you go out. The better you follow those directions the better your engine will perform and last..

Take your time and that third tank will be your best tank ever.

Capt Mike
Old 07-31-08, 10:50 PM   #9
skeeterman

Thanks guys for all of yall help
Old 07-31-08, 10:51 PM   #10
skeeterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMaster_17 View Post
UH OHHHHH What Happened????
I had low compression on my bottom cylinder it was 30psi the others were 80,90 psi
Old 08-02-08, 07:02 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Hey skeeter buddy. Did you ever get thwe mess taken care of with that a##hole???? As far as break in they have it nailed. Double oil for the first 2 tanks and as stated DO NOT run WOT for any extended length of time. Short bursts are ok and recommended but NO extended running at WOT. Go from idle to speeds slowly and vary your speed ALOT. This breaks the engine in over all rpms and will make her like ZOOK said run like a raped ape and also allows the engine to live ALONG life. AGAIN I want to suggest dumping the auto oiling and did ya or do you have a Water PSI gauge????? That way you can monitor water pressure so you dont have to go through this again. Although Yamaha has one of the best oiling systems on the market they arnt fool proof. The bad thing is 90% of the time when the oil alarm goes off for any brand of outboard its already to late. Gimme a holler bud.
Old 08-02-08, 10:53 AM   #12
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
AGAIN I want to suggest dumping the auto oiling and did ya or do you have a Water PSI gauge????? That way you can monitor water pressure so you dont have to go through this again. Although Yamaha has one of the best oiling systems on the market they arnt fool proof.
thing is laser hammers have computer controled systems on there oil injection. remove the oil injection and it shuts the moter down to 2/3 throttle MAX rpm.. the infamus black box so to speak. the point here is it is computer controled and the chips are either yamaha or the mother company mitsubitshi.according to yammaha moto usa rep 99.9% of all yamahas will never have a computer injection problem. which means off the hook reliablity since there is like 130 million yamaha moters in operation world wide..the only other company approachin this number is bomb-omc-

remember when my 03 moter went poof. it was a wrist pin in the #2 hole.the moter had 1158 hours on it using either hammer lube or merc's quick silver oil.with absolutely no injection problems though the hammer ate thru the thinner quick silver faster. i'll still use it..

zooker
Old 08-02-08, 12:12 PM   #13
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow all this expensive talk abt motors doing this and that, i think its time for me to sell the skeeter and go back to electric only. Seems like its not worth 30 hrs of maintenance for 4-5 hrs of using it and worry of a motor blowing at any min for no reason. Heck i don't know if my 89 merc even has a oil alarm and from all the research i have done unless its mid 90's or newer auto oilers are iffy at best. Why cant they make them as durable & as maintenance free as a Car or Truck Motor. Seems to me if you not running a factory boat that they do all the upkeep on its not worth it. So If ya know of anyone wanting a F-80 Strada with a 70 merc LMK, i only got to take it out once anyway in 6 weeks so its not worth the hassle or $$ to keep it.
Old 08-02-08, 02:33 PM   #14
zooker

bassmaster 17
by defination a boat is a hole in the water you thru money thru..the biggest part of that hole being the moter..

any one care to disagree with me??

zooker
Old 08-02-08, 09:01 PM   #15
boater

B.O.A.T. Break Out Another Thousand
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 11:32 PM   #16
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
bassmaster 17
by defination a boat is a hole in the water you thru money thru..the biggest part of that hole being the moter..zooker
Only if its gas powered, only thing my electric only boats cost me was 15$ a year for registration & $15 a year for batteries when averaged out. But this was the clincher
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
bassmaster 17
by defination a boat is a hole in the water you thru money thru..the biggest part of that hole being the moter..zooker
the skeeter is officially for sale going in the paper monday!! Tore my Knee up today also so my fishing is DONE for a year at least.
Old 08-03-08, 05:44 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

WOA!!!! HOLD da boat Bassmaster. Please dont make the mistake of selling your boat. Number 1 its paid for right. It dont cost to sit there. Number 2 you gotta remeber this forum board reaches thousands and thousands of people. Its not like this incident or othwers like it are from the same town. SO SORRY you tore your knee but here is a quick story............I had knee surgery 4 years ago and the only piece of mind that I had when I was able to start getting around was none other than my boat. Reconsider your sale of your baby ESPECIALLY since you have done such a fine job on getting her back to snuff.
Old 08-03-08, 11:50 PM   #18
skeeterman

1Fastlaser i finally got him behind me. Bassmaster i have the same exact boat you have but with a yamaha.At one time i wanted to just give up and sell the boat.But luckly my son had a great time fishing on it when it was running.And he would and still does ask when are we going fishing again ? That alone made me stick with it and battle through the problems.The only thing i hate is this jerk mechanic that was so called repairing my boat.Really made everything a nightmare.Now my son will be going back to school and im now working on the weekends. So our fishing days together really have been cut short.I will be working from 7am -7:30 pm fri,sat,sun.And off for the rest of the week. Great for me but my son will miss out.But we will have a holiday in there some thats when are going to go enjoy ourselves to the fullest Bottom line bassmaster keep the boat.If you sell it you will pretty much regret it later on in life.Especially the progress you have made with it so far.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.