Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-10, 12:02 AM   #1
Snowman_85tn
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How much line?

how much line do i need to put on my baitcaster when puttin new line in?
Snowman_85tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 12:09 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I fill mine so there is about 1/8th-1/16th of an inch between the line and the lip of the spool. Too much line can cause tangle problems and too little can limit casting distance.
Old 03-05-10, 12:15 AM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What kinda reel you using and what is the pound test of the line. Alot of reels say on them what their capacity is.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 12:22 AM   #4
Snowman_85tn
BassFishin.Com Member

12 lb I'm kinda new to the baitcasters. what would u guys recomend for a beginner?
Snowman_85tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 12:49 AM   #5
Rebbasser

I use 12 lb on all of my baitcasters. I really like P-Line Floroclear. Tough yet handles like a dream. If you are just getting into baitcasters here is a great site that will get you pointed in the right direction as far as setting up the reel:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm
Old 03-05-10, 09:10 AM   #6
Bassboss

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Well, you don't need a whole lot of line on any bass reel, you only really need to fill the front end of the spool. what I do if get some cheep 17, or 20lb BPS excel (in the bulk spools). Than fill the reel about half way, a little less. Than take some tape , and tape it down. Once you do than it's time to put on your main line (the spoll on the back part is known as a backing), put the line through the guides and reel guide as you would most of the time, but once you get to the spool, take the tape, and put it over about a 1/2 inch part of the main line, and make it stick! Once you get that down, take the main line and spool it as you would to the top of the spool.

I'd recommend getting some 15lb, or 12lb BPS excel line (the bulk spool) to start with, once you get better and stop back lashing a lot, it's time to get some real line on there. I'd get some 10lb p-line cxx. 10 line seems a little light, but with cxx, it will break at around 17lb, rather than 10.

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-05-10 at 09:15 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 01:29 AM   #7
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bassboss has some great points. I use the 15 or 20 lb zebco mono in 300 yd spools from wally world for cheap, and I prefer 12-15 lb Pline CX or CXX, but thats more my personal preference
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 01:26 PM   #8
Cavs1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I fill mine so there is about 1/8th-1/16th of an inch between the line and the lip of the spool. Too much line can cause tangle problems and too little can limit casting distance.
I totally agree with rebasser!!
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 02:16 PM   #9
nmanley
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
bassboss has some great points. I use the 15 or 20 lb zebco mono in 300 yd spools from wally world for cheap, and I prefer 12-15 lb Pline CX or CXX, but thats more my personal preference
Ditto +1 Your a smart feller

Quote:
I'd get some 10lb p-line cxx. 10 line seems a little light, but with cxx, it will break at around 17lb, rather than 10.
This is one I plan to put some time in too. Thanks Bassboss
Old 03-06-10, 04:23 PM   #10
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
10 line seems a little light, but with cxx, it will break at around 17lb, rather than 10.
Is there a source for this? I've never heard that.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 04:42 PM   #11
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
I'm not sure of a source, but I've fished with the PLine 15lb. CXX for a long time now, and it goes WELL above it's rating. I have NEVER had it break while fishing in normal situations. It's actually a pain to break off a lure when necessary.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 05:54 PM   #12
BeaverIslander

I believe it. I was thinking the 6# test felt unusually strong.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 06:24 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
I ran across a thread bass resource when looking for reviews on this stuff. Some one ran a few test with a line breaker thing, and found that in fact (like it says on the box) the line lb test did break very close to 40% (little higher, little lower), higher then rated for. I belive he used 6, 10, 12, 15, and 17, pound tests.
Old 03-08-10, 06:41 PM   #14
Jrob78

I know that these are 2 different lines but I imagine they are somewhat similar. This is the Yo-Zuri Hybrid break strength chart.

http://www.yo-zuri.com/Products/Prod...dLineChart.htm
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 03:59 PM   #15
DaveW731

Default Another choice...

Ditto to the idea of putting cheapoer backing on about 1/2 of the spool and then filling the rest to the 1/8 - 1/16 point. Only difference is I just tie my main line right to the backing. As far as type of line, I swear by 8# Gamma. Actual break strength is closer to 12#, real easy to handle, seems pretty invisible for mono as well.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 04:21 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ok, about the lines that break above their ratings... I'll use yo-zuri Hybrid as an example since it is kinda known for breaking above the rated strength. Most people look at this with amazement and say, "wow, and 8lb test line w/ 12lb breaking strength!"

How do we know that Yo-Zuri didn't just take their 12lb test line and slap an 8lb test sticker on it to amaze people? I was a line company, that's what I'd do. what a great selling point, that means absolutely nothing! I mean think about it: it's not 8lb line with a 12lb break strength. All it is is way underrated 12lb line!

BB
Old 03-09-10, 05:09 PM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Ok, about the lines that break above their ratings... I'll use yo-zuri Hybrid as an example since it is kinda known for breaking above the rated strength. Most people look at this with amazement and say, "wow, and 8lb test line w/ 12lb breaking strength!"

How do we know that Yo-Zuri didn't just take their 12lb test line and slap an 8lb test sticker on it to amaze people? I was a line company, that's what I'd do. what a great selling point, that means absolutely nothing! I mean think about it: it's not 8lb line with a 12lb break strength. All it is is way underrated 12lb line!

BB
I think most line manufacturers probably use line diameter as a way to determine lb test. Most 12lb test lines from different manufacturers are going to be pretty close together as far as diameter. If what you are saying is true then that 12lb line with a 8lb sticker slapped on it is the thinest 12lb line ever made.

I think there are only a few specific types of lines that are IGFA certified to be used in line weight world records. In other words, it's a crap shoot, none of the line we use actually breaks at the number that is printed on the box. Most break well above the lb test.
Old 03-09-10, 09:47 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I think most line manufacturers probably use line diameter as a way to determine lb test. Most 12lb test lines from different manufacturers are going to be pretty close together as far as diameter. If what you are saying is true then that 12lb line with a 8lb sticker slapped on it is the thinest 12lb line ever made.

I think there are only a few specific types of lines that are IGFA certified to be used in line weight world records. In other words, it's a crap shoot, none of the line we use actually breaks at the number that is printed on the box. Most break well above the lb test.
Exactly. They could market it either way. as a very thin 12lb test, or a very strong 8lb test. I think most people find the second more appealing.

And if most manufacturers do rate their lines by diameter, it's stupid. they should be rated by their breaking strength, and nothing else.

BB
Old 03-09-10, 11:13 PM   #19
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Exactly. They could market it either way. as a very thin 12lb test, or a very strong 8lb test. I think most people find the second more appealing.

And if most manufacturers do rate their lines by diameter, it's stupid. they should be rated by their breaking strength, and nothing else.

BB
I agree that it's stupid that lines don't break anywhere near their pound test. It seems fairly arbitrary.
Old 03-10-10, 01:17 AM   #20
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

As long as the Line breakage is high and the diameter is small we are all better for it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.