Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-05, 08:56 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default dove hunting

there is dove hunting and there is well southern dove hunting. now i can't claim to have been born here in the south. but i like my dove huntin. a fine southern tradition if i do say so. we hunt a large -by southern standards- cut corn field. now we use spinning wing robo doves.-don't you love modern hunting-also if any of you have hunted doves any lenth of time they seem to land in the first available limb after you empty your gun. well in 600 acres of cut corn trees are a tad thin. so we make a portable trees out of pvc. add a few fake doves to the ground and pvc trees. for more info on the trees pm me..
we make a day of it. hunting canadian goose early in the morning and shooting LOTS of ammo at doves during the after noon season.-check area listings- most poeple who have never hunted doves think they are easy to shoot they are dead wrong. shooting a sporting clay is easy. hitting a dove is very tough.cases of ammo are expended good guns fail and break downs common -reason i haul 3 guns-i mostly use a 12 gauge -11-87- for my bird hunting.but i have used a 12 gauge ithaca auto and pump if i need to.and doves are NOT that easy to bag by any bodies standards. i knock 1/2 the feathers out of one with my 10 gauge. he still flew acrossed the 600 acre field.how i don't know.
as this is how i will spend my day tomarrow i will have to put off fishing till sunday any way.

zooker
Old 09-02-05, 10:14 PM   #2
lizardsrule

Have fun, and I hope Bobby Knight isn't in your hunting party. If so, might I reccommend a FLACK JACKET.

Lizards
Old 09-04-05, 02:04 PM   #3
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question

Man, we don't have many doves this year. Normally we have more than I can shoot.
I'm not the greatest shot but in time can get a limit.
I am not going out to pay a guy to hunt doves in his field. The last 3 times that I went it has either rained or been too hot to hunt.
Before then it was pretty good shooting, but I've found other places.

Last edited by bassnman30; 09-04-05 at 02:11 PM.
bassnman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-05, 04:23 PM   #4
zooker

i used only 1 box of ammo the first day. but i got 10 doves -limit- they were as you said bassman not flying worth crap they were spotty at best. with long periods of nothing. these fields have tons of doves in them. were they went i do not know. but 1/2 of mine came from single shots. at passing doves the others came from the pvc tree. we don't actually lease these fields for doves but for upland birds which there is quite a few of. seen 11 pheasants and about 2 dozen bobwhites. some wild some escapee's from us setting them out. oh yeah the 5 of us got only 20 geese in the am at the same field. thu it was a tand slow .just how slow?? well this slow .. no this is not me..it is what happens when a man working 9-5 gets dragged out of bed at 4am..lol

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 09-04-05 at 06:15 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-05, 09:26 PM   #5
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I feel that that way to during Christmas vacation and I hunt for 2 weeks strait. Thats getting up at 4:30 and getting to bed at about 10. But I love it. I would give it up for the world. Cant wait for the doves to start flyin and the guns start a shootin come October.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.